Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Ice at cvr and McGregor?

Hows the ice looking at cvr and or McGregor..i want to get on for some white fish.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Banned

There’s lots of winter left. Hasn’t been very cold since the last incident of thin ice.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
There’s lots of winter left. Hasn’t been very cold since the last incident of thin ice.
X2
Old 11-28-2019, 12:37 PM

Hopefully there has been some ice building this week with the negative temps. fingers crossed for decent ice this weekend.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
X2
X3 Don't be in such a hurry lot's of time for some good safe ice to grow
Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Thin ice

Caution on mcgregor.I have found ice thickness varies with location--The saying Walking on thin ice.Has a message--If you want to make it to retirement best listen.Had a very close call when I was young--A horrible situation to be in trashing around in cold water,legs cramping,knowing you are about to die.Asking yourself why the ---- did I take this chance,for a few measely fish------
Old 11-29-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Caution on mcgregor.I have found ice thickness varies with location--The saying Walking on thin ice.Has a message--If you want to make it to retirement best listen.Had a very close call when I was young--A horrible situation to be in trashing around in cold water,legs cramping,knowing you are about to die.Asking yourself why the ---- did I take this chance,for a few measely fish------

I’ve found serious variations there as well. Like 4in differences. And not just at one spot.
And ya, don’t psyche yourself up to go fishing anytime soon. There could be 2in of ice there today, and almost no ice tomorrow at this time of year.
Some poor guy just drowned to death an hour east of there. Need I say more?
Old 11-29-2019, 05:20 PM

When it comes to ice reports, there’s nothing better than checking for yourself. You can’t trust what you read anyhow. Last week there was around 2” of sketch ice on the north end of McGregor. This weekend I would expect 4”, but who knows until you go? The nights have been coooold

Stay safe, and drill as you go.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 PM

As for access to crawling valley better call EID cause they have the gates closed. They will not let anyone on the ice till they say it is safe to go out. Not sure if you can access by walking on from the damn.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
As for access to crawling valley better call EID cause they have the gates closed. They will not let anyone on the ice till they say it is safe to go out. Not sure if you can access by walking on from the damn.
The gate has been opened. The gates being locked has nothing to do with ice safety. They gates are locked after the campground is closed as part of their AIS prevention. Once the reservoir is iced over and boats put away the gates are opened. Again, the gates being opened does not mean the ice is safe.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couleestalker View Post
The gate has been opened. The gates being locked has nothing to do with ice safety. They gates are locked after the campground is closed as part of their AIS prevention. Once the reservoir is iced over and boats put away the gates are opened. Again, the gates being opened does not mean the ice is safe.
Ok, yes you are correct, I stand corrected. I just forgot and thought they said till it was safe. Memory bank must not be as good as it use to be I guess. LOL Either way don't take your chances and do a test hole or wait till they get a good constant freeze.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM

I was on Mcgreggor yesterday and had a good 4-5" of good ice from the boat launch, As mentioned before, be careful as there can be variances in depth, I drilled many test holes and found them all to be at least 4". Fishing very slow though I didnt see any fish in 4hrs.