Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Exmpler was the one who made the alcohol comparison.

And as we saw in pretty much ALL the threads about driving, there are quite a number of people who don't think rules/laws/regulations apply to them because they're smarter than the average bear.

My viewpoint comes from "Half the population is of below average intelligence", and I'd rather they didn't have hand cannons on them all the time.

Drug dealers don't follow the law either, should we ban penicillin?

Let me ask you this, if we meet out on a cut line and you're carrying your whiz bang muzzle braked shoulder cannon, and a 22 pistol for grouse. Why would I **** myself over the sidearm?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
Not to sound like a defeatist, but it will never happen in Canada. It's like the abortion issue, there is no political appetite for it whatsoever. Look at the fear mongering response the abolition of the LGR created. It would be political suicide for the Tories, and even if it was brought in it would be repealed if and when the Liberals make it back into government.
You sound like a defeatist.

When you use the word "but", it negates anything you said before it.

With your attitude, no we won't see change.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I have never felt the need to carry a sidearm in Canada. I carried one before coming to Canada and it was a pain in the arse. Always sticking in to your back. You could never sit comfortably. And always worried about keeping it clean. Always worried when visiting friends that it is safe from the kids. And always drawing attention to yourself from people wanting to take the sidearm from you. It is frankly not worth the effort.
As for trappers and guides feeling the need to carry I think a regular 12 guage is more effective than any sidearm will ever be.
Meh. I'll take worrying about those things.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Cars, motorcycles, quads, swimming pools, illegal drugs, thousands of ways to die, most of them far more likely than by a firearm. But hey keep up with the fear mongering, we Canadians couldn't live without the hand wringing.

You might want to read up on drownings in the states, happens far more than you think.

Where has anyone suggested that allowing wilderness carry trumps safe storage laws, or the need for licensing?
Don't move the goalposts. The opening post was about open carry, not wilderness carry.

Ya, there's thousands of ways to die. Are you scared of all of them? I often wonder what you people who NEEEEEEED handguns to feel safe are scared of.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Still do not understand why carrying a side arm is needed. Lived hee for 56 years and see no need.
Who cares? That's your opinion. Let me have mine.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The discussion isn't to make carry compulsory. No one said you had to carry a sidearm. How I protect myself is not your decision to make.

"Still do not understand why carrying a side arm is needed. Lived hee for 56 years and see no need."

Let me see if I can help. Because it a person's right to protect themselves.

I still do not understand why someone would bring cleaning supplies to a gunfight.
This!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Drug dealers don't follow the law either, should we ban penicillin?

Let me ask you this, if we meet out on a cut line and you're carrying your whiz bang muzzle braked shoulder cannon, and a 22 pistol for grouse. Why would I **** myself over the sidearm?
Drug dealers also don't follow the law regarding handguns, either, in case you don't read the news much. Do you often get shot at by drug dealers, by the way? Do they often try to sell you drugs?

Because I wouldn't be carrying a .22 pistol for grouse. (nor the shoulder cannon you describe. My little lever action fills the freezer good enough) I use a slingshot for grouse. WAY less noise.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
You sound like a defeatist.

When you use the word "but", it negates anything you said before it.

With your attitude, no we won't see change.
Whatever man, it's never going to happen, it's no different than the pro life nutbars who think they'll make abortion illegal again. I'd love to able to carry a pistol around but the cold hard truth is that this is a dead issue, no political party in Canada would touch this with a ten foot pole. The voting masses would not stand for it. I'm not a defeatist, I'm a realist. There are some battles we will not win. This is one of them.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Don't move the goalposts. The opening post was about open carry, not wilderness carry.

Ya, there's thousands of ways to die. Are you scared of all of them? I often wonder what you people who NEEEEEEED handguns to feel safe are scared of.
Just another tool like a fencing plier or post maul. You still haven't explained how someone having a regular rifle is so much less dangerous than someone open carrying? You haven't explained how open carry would promote teens shooting each other with their parents guns either.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yep !!!! Seat belts,fire extinguishers,railing on stairways,helmets on motorbikes and bicycles and (horses)(god forbid),guard rails,airbags,travel insurance,airline security,-.-.- do I really need to go on ???
You cannot be that slow, can you ??
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Just another tool like a fencing plier or post maul. You still haven't explained how someone having a regular rifle is so much less dangerous than someone open carrying? You haven't explained how open carry would promote teens shooting each other with their parents guns either.
Do I really have to explain it to you?

Fencing pliers are smaller, and easier to carry/use than a fencing maul.

Rifles are required to be locked or secured, separate from ammunition, unless actually hunting or target shooting (short form of the regs). Pistols are smaller, and easier to carry than a rifle. They also will be loaded and unlocked/unsecured, in an open carry situation.

If you don't understand the increased risk, that's too bad.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Yep !!!! Seat belts,fire extinguishers,railing on stairways,helmets on motorbikes and bicycles and (horses)(god forbid),guard rails,airbags,travel insurance,airline security,-.-.- do I really need to go on ???
You cannot be that slow, can you ??
You need to add more words, as your point has not been made.

You itemize a number of measures legislated as safety measures. Are you saying you would prefer not to have fire extinguishers, seat belts, railings, helmets, etc? Or are you saying you like that they are around?

And what do the things you mention have to do with open carry?

Maybe I am slow.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Rifles are required to be locked or secured, separate from ammunition, unless actually hunting or target shooting (short form of the regs). Pistols are smaller, and easier to carry than a rifle. They also will be loaded and unlocked/unsecured, in an open carry situation.

In use on my side is the same as in use slung over my shoulder.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Not at all, I have never seen a need, however if one needs to carry well OK. I just donot unders the need and what it will help.
What has need got to do with it, people do not need 10 rifles, or 10 shotguns, either, so I suppose you feel you should decide for some one else, the amount of all firearms they should own, or carry. I want to carry one, to hunt, if you do not fine, but DO NOT try and decide what my wants or needs are.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Imagine, if you will, kids taking their parents pistols, as much as they steal their parents smokes, pills, and alcohol.

You might want to read about accidental shootings in the states, by kids shooting their friends, family members, and themselves. It happens quite a bit.
Maybe so, but then why only ban guns if it is also happening with parents pills, alcohol and smokes?

Drunk driving and overdoses are just as deadly.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:

You clearly don't understand.
When transporting a restricted fire arm it needs to be locked up in accordance to the firearms act. When I'm away from my vehicle my side arm is loaded and in my holster.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
You clearly don't understand.
When transporting a restricted fire arm it needs to be locked up in accordance to the firearms act. When I'm away from my vehicle my side arm is loaded and in my holster.
I understand just fine. Open carry, in the US for example, applies pretty much anywhere. There is no "secured while being transported" aspect.

The OP was about open carry. They didn't specify whether it was hunting or wilderness related.

Do you plan to open carry to an Oilers game, or your kids soccer game, or in a restaurant, or when you go to the rodeo and the opera?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I understand just fine. Open carry, in the US for example, applies pretty much anywhere. There is no "secured while being transported" aspect.

The OP was about open carry. They didn't specify whether it was hunting or wilderness related.

Do you plan to open carry to an Oilers game, or your kids soccer game, or in a restaurant, or when you go to the rodeo and the opera?
Sure, if someone chooses to and has the appropriate license, why not? The fear of an inanimate object isn't logical. Remember licensed gunowners are amongst the most law abiding in the country.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
Maybe so, but then why only ban guns if it is also happening with parents pills, alcohol and smokes?

Drunk driving and overdoses are just as deadly.
Are you for or against legalization of dope? I'm interested. I know it's a digression from the topic at hand.

In case you were unaware, there are in fact laws in place to minimize minors access to and use of alcohol, pills, and smokes.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Are you for or against legalization of dope? I'm interested. I know it's a digression from the topic at hand.

In case you were unaware, there are in fact laws in place to minimize minors access to and use of alcohol, pills, and smokes.
Non of them as strict or the punishments as brutal as the firearms act.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Sure, if someone chooses to and has the appropriate license, why not? The fear of an inanimate object isn't logical. Remember licensed gunowners are amongst the most law abiding in the country.
So, you feel scared at oilers games, a restaurant, a rodeo, etc, and require your handgun to make you feel safe, I assume.

Well, open carry away, buddy. I'll be staying away from you, as I have little trust in your judgement. I wouldn't want to be around if you were startled.

It's like defensive driving. I try to stay away from the yahoos on the road, too.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:

I would if I could but I can't so I won't. I open carry in accordance with my ATC.
By the way we're in Canada.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Non of them as strict or the punishments as brutal as the firearms act.
Do you suppose that is because the results of an error with a firearm are reasonably assumed to be of more immediate and greater consequence? Or is it just a bunch of namby pambies being scared of something they don't understand?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
I would if I could but I can't so I won't. I open carry in accordance with my ATC.
By the way we're in Canada.
What are you scared of, in all those places? It must suck to live in fear all the time.

Yes, I know I'm in Canada. What's that supposed to mean?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
So, you feel scared at oilers games, a restaurant, a rodeo, etc, and require your handgun to make you feel safe, I assume.

Well, open carry away, buddy. I'll be staying away from you, as I have little trust in your judgement. I wouldn't want to be around if you were startled.

It's like defensive driving. I try to stay away from the yahoos on the road, too.
I never said that, but I do support the freedom of the individual to do so, the same as I support your right not to carry.

That's a pretty broad based slag, you know nothing about me, nor the training I have passed to be able to carry.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Do you suppose that is because the results of an error with a firearm are reasonably assumed to be of more immediate and greater consequence? Or is it just a bunch of namby pambies being scared of something they don't understand?
Smoking, illicit drugs and alcohol all kill more people in North America than guns. Please stop with the straw man crap.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
What are you scared of, in all those places? It must suck to live in fear all the time.

Why are you so fearful of guns, especially the least powerful class, handguns?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Smoking, illicit drugs and alcohol all kill more people in North America than guns. Please stop with the straw man crap.
Dude, you're the one that was harping on pills and booze. Exmpler was the one who made the initial analogy., FWIW.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=Badgerbadger;2671724]What are you scared of, in all those places? It must suck to live in fear all the time.

Did you not mention transporting restricted south of the border?
Who said I'm scared? I don't think I am but if I can carry in town why wouldn't I? I don't know you but I'd be quite comfortable if you were packing once you proved not to be a threat to yourself or the public.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
Has anyone heard any updates on open carry issue

What issue? Am I missing something like there is an issue that is being considered by parliament?

I wouldn't mind carrying a handgun anywhere where I could legally carry a rifle. That makes sense to me. It's not logical to say that you can carry a rifle or shotgun in the bush but not a handgun.
Closed Thread