Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 09:11 PM

Default More thieves...

Drove out to my Dads acreage, area of Yellowhead Hwy and RR25, Parkland County. He has been living at my place for over a month recovering from shoulder replacement surgery and I was moving him back home to his place.

I hadn't checked on his place in 4 or 5 days, and we have had about 5 inches of snow since then. There were fresh vehicle tracks going in/out of his driveway. We enter the yard and I see footprints leading from the pass side of the mystery vehicle tracks and they let to both garage doors, (locked) and then around the garage where they were able to take a good inventory of some of the machines he keeps there. Footprints then return straight to the mystery vehicle and it appears they left.

I was totally on guard as it quit snowing about ten minutes earlier, and these tracks looked totally fresh. I'm no mantracker, but it's pretty obvious this just happened. We jump back in the car and follow the tire tracks around the subdivision. They went into a few other yards, and came back out. We come around a corner and I see a newer Chev half ton with about a 6 inch lift and big tires come out of an acreage. They were about a hundred yards away, so we couldn't make any better description. I followed them to the subdivision exit, and they BOOKED it out of there. We decided to go back to the house and check on everything further, and thankfully everything was locked and they didn't make any further attempts. We drove back out and checked the next subdivision, sure enough, those guys made tracks there too.

This really got me riled up as my parents in the 25 years or so they have lived there, they have never had a problem. It's a dead end road and that no longer feels as secure as you would think.

About an hour later we were headed to town for groceries and I saw an RCMP pulling out of the other subdivision. Flagged him down and told him what we saw, he confirmed that the truck was stolen, and someone else had called it in.

For the next few hours, as we made several trips to town and back I've never seen so many RCMP vehicles looking around for those guys.

With all the Cat Converter thefts we consider ourselves lucky nothing happened. We warned several neighbors and we are all keeping our eyes out.

Part of me wanted to catch them in the act, but the other half of me thought, no, some of these idiots are armed and we are better off without confrontation.

Be safe out there guys! Locked doors really can make a difference.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Yup it's getting to be way too common. There was word in our area as well of the same thing happening. Stolen truck driving into farmyards and checking them out.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs