Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Spotting scope help.

Hi folks.
Generally I don't have much use for a spotting scope with the hunting I do. But I'm looking to do a canoe float elk hunt in NE BC, next fall and I'm getting things togeather. I am looking at best value for price, I would like to keep it under 600.00 if possible.
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-14-2019, 03:05 PM

At that price point I would suggest the vortex diamondback. It’s a good glass for around that price
Old 12-14-2019, 03:07 PM

I have an older razor 65 mm that really like, I have seen used ones for 1100 roughly for the new model.

There is also the smaller razor that I know a few guys who run those, they are 11-33 x 50. You do give up a few min of legal light but the weight of it is amazing... used for around 700 to 800.

Those are a little more then 600, but as someone who had a cheaper spotter before.... it's worth it if you can swing it.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I have an older razor 65 mm that really like, I have seen used ones for 1100 roughly for the new model.

There is also the smaller razor that I know a few guys who run those, they are 11-33 x 50. You do give up a few min of legal light but the weight of it is amazing... used for around 700 to 800.

Those are a little more then 600, but as someone who had a cheaper spotter before.... it's worth it if you can swing it.
Are the 65mm razors not $1900
Old 12-14-2019, 04:23 PM

Thanks gents. Price point is variable. But it's hard to justify much more for the use it's going to get. I'm not that concerned with sneaking out extra minutes shooting time. I generally want to get up close and personal before I pull the trigger. I just want a quality piece of glass. Probably get used most for calling shots at range.
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
Are the 65mm razors not $1900
$1769 online for a new one. But as I said I have seen USED ones for $1100.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Default You could borrow mine...

Where do you live, how long are you going for, and what time of year?
I’m in Airdrie, and can loan you a Leupold golden ring 12-40 spotter, if it doesn’t interfere with my own hunts next year.
If you’re only looking for a spotter for ONE hunt, and don’t have use for it otherwise, I’d hate to see a guy spend a bunch of money, if mine is sitting in the garage.
Alternatively, there’s a website called ruckify where people rent out just about anything you can think of. If you’re not close enough to me, it might be worth looking into to rent one, if you can find one on there.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:15 PM

I may well be out to lunch here but my understanding is that he wants a scope to use on a canoe hunting trip. He is not calling enemy combatants at 1000 yards.

He has to consider the cost which he set at about $600 and be willing to accept that he may lose it altogether. If he is riding in a canoe or even putting ashore for the evening, he would still be considering shots at 500 metres or less.

Sure he can get a better scope if he is willing to pay thousands of dollars but does he need a Ferrari to go to the store to pick up a loaf of bread?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-14-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
At that price point I would suggest the vortex diamondback. It’s a good glass for around that price
https://store.prophetriver.com/vorte...80s1-open-box/
Old 12-15-2019, 06:02 AM

One of my sheep hunting buddies bought a Swarovski spotting scope and is disappointed with it and in fact leaves it at home and uses mine and my son's regularly. A couple of weeks ago I was elk hunting with friend who also had a Swaro spotting scope. I found it less than user friendly. It appeared that the eye relief sweat spot was quite small making it finicky to see distant objects quickly. I am curious if anyone else shares this opinion of the Swaro spotting scope.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
One of my sheep hunting buddies bought a Swarovski spotting scope and is disappointed with it and in fact leaves it at home and uses mine and my son's regularly. A couple of weeks ago I was elk hunting with friend who also had a Swaro spotting scope. I found it less than user friendly. It appeared that the eye relief sweat spot was quite small making it finicky to see distant objects quickly. I am curious if anyone else shares this opinion of the Swaro spotting scope.
IMHO, you need to be more specific,
there is a big difference between the current Swaro (A&S)TX design and prior (A&S)TS (&TM) and other older models.

I also note that all optical output (especially exit pupil aka 'eye box',) is proportionate to objective size, and inversely to magnification.

I suspect apples to oranges.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Look for an old B&L discoverer.
Your welcome.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone and thanks sage valley! You have gained tons of respect from me just for the offer! I couldn't borrow something like glass though. But thanks! There are some really good deals and offers I appriciate them all. The wife has my wallet buried deep in her purse somewhere at the moment. So I wont be making a purchase before christmas. But I have lots to look at.
Thanks again.
Merry christmas
Brad
Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 AM

I would borrow one if it is just single trip use. You may also want to call McBain's and a few other Camera/optical rental places and see if you can rent one. I know McBain's rents all kinds of Cameras, lenses etc., they may well rent spotting scopes too.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Ya renting, might be a good option too.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, you need to be more specific,
there is a big difference between the current Swaro (A&S)TX design and prior (A&S)TS (&TM) and other older models.

I also note that all optical output (especially exit pupil aka 'eye box',) is proportionate to objective size, and inversely to magnification.

I suspect apples to oranges.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Do not know the model, but do know both where high end and less than three years old. I am referring to three thousand dollar investments. Not worth the money in my humble opinion. Optically fine, but not user friendly.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
$1769 online for a new one. But as I said I have seen USED ones for $1100.
About twice the guy's budget. I've always liked the Bushnells , decent quality for a reasonable price. A casual user doesn't need to count hairs on chins.

Grizz
Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post

I was going to recommend that, hell of a spotting scope for that price