Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Alberta Snowmobile Association Trail Permits

Years ago when I used to ride a lot there were not many trail systems around so it was not a problem.

So what happens now days when a person is out riding on crown land and then comes across a trail system, can a person use it and continue on their way?

What about out at Lac St Anne where the trail system is across the lake? I have fished out there for years and used my sled to get around and never knew there was a trail system until my son found it last year and asked me about it.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:47 PM

You can ride the trails without a pass, but it is generally frowned upon. The fee for the passes is divvied up between the clubs in alberta. That money goes towards trail maintenance.
You just have to ask yourself, do you like riding on smooth groomed trails that are signed, safe, with plowed parking / staging areas with bathrooms etc? Or do you just go ahead and bomb around without a care until the club folds and the trails become unusable?
There are many clubs in the province that provide excellent services and are active in their communities. Locally here, the Tri-County Club hosts toy rides for Santa's Anonymous. Other clubs host Poker Rallies that bring visitors from across the province to their clubs and communities.
Bottom line, if you ride the trails without paying, you are not helping the clubs in any way. The pass is a small way of contributing to the greater enjoyment of all who participate.
Please keep ATV's off groomed snowmobile trails. That's my PSA for the day.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:59 PM

i believe its more of an honor system . if club members meet you on a trail they may give you a shaming but i doubt that anyone can enforce the trail pass system if you do not have one . the trails up here are groomed and have warm up cabins and markers c/w yield and stop signs which all cost money. if your going to use them any amount get a pass and if you do run into club members they will be very hospitable .