Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 11:23 AM

Default Calgary Lowe’s & Rona Closures: Clearance Sale

I was passing the Shawnessey Lowes and dropped in figuring there would be a sale due to their pending closure in late January. The whole place is 20% to 59% off ticketed prices, so I figured a heads-up was in order for you all.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:43 AM

I was going to make a stop in there this afternoon to see what all they have going on.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Lots of stuff in plumbing. Pipe & fittings are 30% off while the repair bits are 40% off. Van stock will be bumping up on the common items that are cheaper than I get wholesale.

Chainsaws, including Husqvarna are only 20% off, same with all of the power tools.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:44 PM

Corporate thinking can boggle the mind . They just opened a new Lowes in Red Deer and the Rona will be closing. The late remnant of buying Totem. I'll have to see what's on sale.

Grizz
Old 11-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Got a stellar deal on some sylvania LED 2700K non-dimmable light bulbs, an 8 pack was $3.49 after discounts as it was on clearance before the extra 20%. I won’t need to buy any of those for a spell ..... dimmable were a still a
deal at a whopping $6.33 for 4.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Any sale on lumber?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Any sale on lumber?
The signs said the whole store 20%-50% off lowest ticketed price. I didn't see any specific signs in the lumber dept as to the % but nothing was less than 20%.

They're specifying no returns and writing that in sharpie on the receipt, also no Air Miles use, I knew my contractor card would not apply as it does not during sales, (or it might apply, whichever offers the better discount but no stacking...)
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Corporate thinking can boggle the mind . They just opened a new Lowes in Red Deer and the Rona will be closing. The late remnant of buying Totem. I'll have to see what's on sale.

Grizz
Really Rona in Red Deer is closing? Then there will be no lumber yard in North Red Deer, just Lowe’s and Home Depot next to each other in the south.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Really Rona in Red Deer is closing? Then there will be no lumber yard in North Red Deer, just Lowe’s and Home Depot next to each other in the south.
Doesn't Home Hardware have a lumber yard?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM

I will check out the lumber section hopefully tomorrow in the NE Calgary location. Need to build some shelves in basement storage room. Problem is GREY CUP festivities are on and I'm going to the game. Maybe Monday
Old 11-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Doesn't Home Hardware have a lumber yard?
Yes they do I never go there as I don’t like that place, but then there is the Co-op in riverside, which is where I usually go anyway. I just go to Rona to get the free popcorn.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I will check out the lumber section hopefully tomorrow in the NE Calgary location. Need to build some shelves in basement storage room. Problem is GREY CUP festivities are on and I'm going to the game. Maybe Monday
It's just the Shawnessy Lowes and the Midnapore Rona that are closing locally; they're just closing under-performing locations, not the whole chain. The NE Rona will be business as usual.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...n-wide-cutback
Old 11-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Looks like that location is OK. I'll list the affected Alberta stores for posterity so people don't go the their local store that's not closing and expect a clearance sale:

Calgary: Lowe's Shawnessy, Midnapore Rona

Airdrie: Rona

St Albert : Rona

Sherwood Park: Rona

Edmonton: Ellerslie Rd (1003 Parsons Rd)
Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Bumping this for those of you who want Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries for your trail cameras, a 12 pack is now $13.29 (30% off from $18.99). About 20 packs available.

The discounts have increased another 10% from my last post so discounts
are minimum 30%

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-04-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Lithium AA batteries are now sold at Costco.

20 pack for 19.99. Or $1.00 each. Which is great.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:28 PM

I stopped at my local Rona that is not being shut down, and the dude said that they were getting rid of old stock even though they weren't closing. I picked up an 18V dewalt skill saw and Dewalt cordless vacuum for half price
Old 12-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Default Sale, what sale.

I had a look around the RONA in Airdrie that is closing down.

I was looking for a new chain saw file and guide actually. The guide was marked down 30% to about 19.00. I went over to Home Depot and picked it up for 13.00 regular price.

Looked at some cases of coil nails and other hardware and they were marked down to what other stores regular prices were.

Sorry to see the folks that work there loosing jobs.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Of course like anything you have to know your prices. I was in again yesterday and the discounts now range from 30% to 60%. To top it off they had even returned to accepting my contractor card for slight further discounts and air miles too.

I have my eye on a couple of less in-demand items I plan on getting when the discounts increase one or two more stages.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:08 PM

I always used to buy lumber at Totem in Sherwood Park. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, fair prices, and very nice (S4S) lumber. Then Rona took over. Lumber looked like crap, staff barely managed a grunt. Typical corporate takeover, raid the cash, let go good employees, raise prices, then pretend it's an economic thing and shut down the store. There is a new Lowes in Sherwood Park but after a few visits I am not impressed and could care less if they close too. I went to the Rona sale and could see no bargains as the stuff was overpriced to begin with.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Thanks a lot Caber...

Walked in to the St Albert location for ONE thing

$400 later...

Oh well, little stuff for the garage I’ve been needing forever anyways
Old 12-14-2019, 08:24 AM

Great price to stock up on hardware... 50% off!

If you need screws, nails, etc load up now
Old 12-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
red deer north rona is not closing that one is busier than the new lowes store