Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM

Default balanced leaches

Any tricks to ice fishing using balanced leaches? Never used these before and looking for any tricks you could share. Ideas on presentation, sink rates, etc would be appreciated.

I've never had much luck ice fishing rainbows or other trout for that matter, wanting to expand my ice fishing repertoire this winter.

BW
Old 12-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Ensure that they are truly 'balanced' in a glass of water. Tied with a loose loop knot, they should give a horizontal presentation. They're best used (again with a loop knot) static - like under a bobber/indicator. No need to jig them, although a very light vibration to work the marabou feathers helps.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:27 PM

easiest thing in the world to fish just let it sit, maybe give it a slow up and down about 6 inches now and then. I tie mine very heavy if I'm using them for ice fishing compared to fly fishing but you can add a split shot or a heavy swivel if you're worried about sink rate

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Awesome fly. Try diffraction colors. They are deadly on a slow retrieve over a weed bed.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
easiest thing in the world to fish just let it sit, maybe give it a slow up and down about 6 inches now and then. I tie mine very heavy if I'm using them for ice fishing compared to fly fishing but you can add a split shot or a heavy swivel if you're worried about sink rate

Agreed. I also fish mine heavier ice fishing. I tie in led wire wrap. Split shot for those that need the weight. The weight is not for presentation but to get it down there faster as I’m not patient
Though the weight helps as well if you have a jaw jacker.
Give it whatever movement you like and experiment. While leaving it still is an option, personally I get bored. Also when I fish then in open water under an indicator, the surface is rarely flat.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk