Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Default Hummingbird Helix Ice transducer questions?

Looking at turning my Helix 7 first generation into an ice unit and have a couple questions.

Firstly what ice transducer does a guy need for the first generation Helix models?

Also, anybody running something similar on the ice and have any tips or settings they care to share?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:22 PM

xi 9 20 is the one for the early Helix models. Yes it works great. I made a bit of a stand mount and have it fitting in a backpack with the battery so it is all in one piece and well protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Looking at turning my Helix 7 first generation into an ice unit and have a couple questions.

Firstly what ice transducer does a guy need for the first generation Helix models?

Also, anybody running something similar on the ice and have any tips or settings they care to share?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
xi 9 20 works but prepare to be disappointed, I ended up building a jig and using the one that came with the unit as it works a lot better.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3count View Post
xi 9 20 works but prepare to be disappointed, I ended up building a jig and using the one that came with the unit as it works a lot better.
Where was the ice transducer lacking?
Old 12-01-2019, 06:45 PM

If you are indeed looking at purchasing the xi 9 20, Cabelas north has one in the bargin cave for 85$. Looks like damaged packaging. Thought really hard as I just upgraded to a gen2 so I need to find a 9 21.

I have a 9 20 on a old 343c and no issues. I did connect it to the first gen helix 5 and it did read but I never tested in water for accuracy.

HH
Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Thanks happyhunter for the heads up.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Where was the ice transducer lacking?
I found the resolution and beam width were not as good. I am assuming this is because the ice ducer does not support the same frequencies or the dual beam frequencies of the stock transducer.

I have an H5DI
Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 PM

It is not the same transducer so the same results should not be anticipated. Different width, 2d for basically depth and mark fish only. Dont need much more for ice if you set it up properly. If you want it to be the same then as described make a . And run the summer ducer. Just make sure it is always level for proper readings. Gps and mapping still all works like on the with either ducer.

Quote:
I found the resolution and beam width were not as good. I am assuming this is because the ice ducer does not support the same frequencies or the dual beam frequencies of the stock transducer.

I have an H5DI
Old 12-01-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
It is not the same transducer so the same results should not be anticipated. Different width, 2d for basically depth and mark fish only. Dont need much more for ice if you set it up properly. If you want it to be the same then as described make a . And run the summer ducer. Just make sure it is always level for proper readings. Gps and mapping still all works like on the with either ducer.
For a single hole it works fine, Me and buddy try to share the ducer and set it up in the middle,. our holes are 8' apart on the shack so depending on depth we can can barely see both hooks
Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 PM

About how deep are you fishing?

Quote:
For a single hole it works fine, Me and buddy try to share the ducer and set it up in the middle,. our holes are 8' apart on the shack so depending on depth we can can barely see both hooks
Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
About how deep are you fishing?
12-15' on the narrow beam, the resolution on that ducer with the wide beam is trash.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Remember most flashers that have dual beam are running about a 10 and 20 degree angle. The bird is running at a 20 and 60 degree cone angle so huge difference. Wide beam at that depth will be way outside your fishing area and narrow probably more correct for that.

Quote:
12-15' on the narrow beam, the resolution on that ducer with the wide beam is trash.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Remember most flashers that have dual beam are running about a 10 and 20 degree angle. The bird is running at a 20 and 60 degree cone angle so huge difference. Wide beam at that depth will be way outside your fishing area and narrow probably more correct for that.

The XI 9 20 is a 20/60 degree cone. This is the ice transducer for the G1 and non CHIRP units. The XI 9 1521 for the G2 CHIRP units is 15-21 degree cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors