Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Default Cordless drill auger setup throguh deep ice

I've been looking at setting up one of the cordless drill hand auger setups. I am looking at the highly recommended milwaukee m18 drill with 2x 5ah batteries and probably the lazer hand auger (or equivalent high-quality hand auger). my question, with a setup such as this how deep of ice can you effectively cut through? There seem to be great raves and reviews up this setup, however, most of these reviews probably aren't cutting through 4 feet plus of ice that we can get here. Will these cordless drills handle that deep of ice? Will it do it but just barely, handle it okay, or just suck and punch like one or two holes and be done.

Thank for any help i can get!
Old 12-02-2019, 09:42 AM

I have been using a cordless drill set up for a couple of years now and love it. I think the secret is the auger itself. I switched to a fin-bore from a swede-bore (different blade configuration). Drill is nothing special. 18v lithium Ryobi. I use the drill adaptor with the bungee cord over the drill handle so you can't lose the auger down the hole. I imagine extensions are available for hand augers to get you to the 4' mark. 24" is about the max without an extension. As far as how many holes, I have never had to switch batteries during a day of fishing 24" ice. Be sure to keep your batteries warm though. I have an insulated carrying case or I keep one under my jacket just in case. This is by far the cheapest option. Everyone has a drill these days, add a extension and a adaptor and you are set. Extra batteries just in case or to run the cordless radio or charge your phone.