Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Default buying ammo

Went into a town to buy a box of ammo, when I went to pay the girl wanted to enter all my personel info (Full name, address, phone numbers in their computer), I told her I was from out of town and they didn't need that info. She said she needed that info because she needed to see my PAL, I showed her my PAL as per the law and told her I wasn't giving the rest of it, she then scanned my PAL into computer and informed me that they are supposed to keep track of everyone that buys ammo. Told her that was a croc, she let me buy the ammo and I left. What is up with this? I buy alot of ammo and have never been asked for my whole life story, I understand you need to prove licence to buy ammo but this was a bit much. I have never had them actually scan my licence into a computer.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM

As you are aware all you must do to purchase ammo is show them a valid PAL. If they ask for personal info or want to 'swipe' your card that is their policy, not the law. A respectful chat with the store manager might set things straight if they are ignorant of the law. Otherwise I wouldn't give them my business. If they insist on collecting the information you should ask how they are complying with the Personal Information Protection Act and how they plan on keeping your information from being used in a negative way.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM

yeah, I know but it was the only store in town that sold ammo and i really needed a box. I just wonder what they see when they scan your PAL, can they see what guns I have and everything? If that's the case any employee could get you're address and see what guns you have registered and come shopping, glad I got an 800# vault and an alarm system.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM

The stores computer access to the CFC is one way, they do not see your other info such as the other registered firearms you may have. As for the recording of information, I would refer you to check with the privacy commissioner and you could report the stores dangerous & unethical practice of gathering your very sensitive personal information.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 PM

I buy ammo at Wholesale Sports in Edmonton all the time and all they ask for is to see you PAL. Not once did they ever record any info or scan my card. They have a quick look at it at the gun counter and give you the ammo you want and the cashier at the front doesn't even bother to ask.