Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Default duck/goose decoys

Hey just looking for some advice on decoys, when field hunting ducks and geese how do setup the decoys amongst each other. Do u have the duck and goose decoys spread out with each other or have the ducks and geese seperate ?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM

Default decoy spread

Most times just a good spread for geese will work and a few quacks from a duck call will suffice. If the ducks are not committing, put a few decoys around your blind to get them in close and it should be all good. In that situation a goose call works better than a duck call to get them coming, but a good duck call to finish them may just put them in your face and then it is pandimonium In that case don,t forget to pick a bird to shoot, instead of trying to flock shoot or you may come up with nadda
Happy Hunting.
P.S. Nothing is for sure but a little experimentation on your set ups will help you get it right sometimes
Old 03-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Most times just a good spread for geese will work and a few quacks from a duck call will suffice. If the ducks are not committing, put a few decoys around your blind to get them in close and it should be all good. In that situation a goose call works better than a duck call to get them coming, but a good duck call to finish them may just put them in your face and then it is pandimonium In that case don,t forget to pick a bird to shoot, instead of trying to flock shoot or you may come up with nadda
Happy Hunting.
P.S. Nothing is for sure but a little experimentation on your set ups will help you get it right sometimes
X2 good goose spread will kill geese I sold all my field ducks and it did not make any difference for killing ducks I like Mojos as we'll they make it happen a lot of the time
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_AB_huntet View Post
Hey just looking for some advice on decoys, when field hunting ducks and geese how do setup the decoys amongst each other. Do u have the duck and goose decoys spread out with each other or have the ducks and geese seperate ?
I wouldn't bother wasting money on duck decoys unless you are water shooting. As the guys have said, goose dekes work just fine. If not better.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM

I find it works better for me to have a few duck decoys in my spread...
Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Decoys

I run 2 doz FA duck shells for my late season spreads. What I have found is that everyone and there dog has a mojo or spinning wing duck decoy. They work fabulous, brings them rite in at the start of the season. As the season wears on I start to find more and more flocks of ducks looking at the goose spread but not committing, through in a dozen shells or so and it's amazing how quick those wings will lock in on the first pass. Is it necessary to have them no, a decent goose spread as stated will get you ducks, add a mojo and it increases odds substantially. Add in some duck decoys it's non stop action.