Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Coal dust pollution in mountain lake

I am surprised some government employees were actually able to publish the truth.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.6639875
Old 11-05-2022, 07:37 AM

The sad reality is that the mitigation measures to prevent dusting usually is wetting the area with water. Thisll cause runoff into the coal mine’s respective drainage basin. More and more evidence we need to be considering nuclear… 🤔
Old 11-05-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
The sad reality is that the mitigation measures to prevent dusting usually is wetting the area with water. Thisll cause runoff into the coal mine’s respective drainage basin. More and more evidence we need to be considering nuclear… 🤔
You mean Asia should be considering nucleur?
Old 11-05-2022, 07:49 AM

Here is the paper:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.102...oB_WPDLOnA6wGI

Most of this coal is used for cheap fuel for making steel, not for power generation. There are alternative methods available for making steel.
But yes, finding better ways to create electricity is also a huge issue for this world going forward
Old 11-05-2022, 08:56 AM

Calgary has destroyed 204000 acres of prime wildlife habitat. 170000 in edmonton.....far more concerning
Old 11-05-2022, 12:33 PM

So urban sprawl is the excuse necessary to continue on with really bad resource extraction practices that pollute headwaters so we can send coal to China?

Awesome...
Old 11-05-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
So urban sprawl is the excuse necessary to continue on with really bad resource extraction practices that pollute headwaters so we can send coal to China?

Awesome...
So close to 400000 acres lost to "urban sprawl" in just 2 cities is ok? But a small lake isn't?
Awesome...

You live in one of those cities?

I never said I was good with either.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
So close to 400000 acres lost to "urban sprawl" in just 2 cities is ok? But a small lake isn't?
Awesome...

You live in one of those cities?

No doubt, I've seen so much No #1 soil being scraped off the land in all of these cities without a peep. But when it comes to any kind of industrial development that will actually pay some bills or build some infrastructure the world is gonna end.

Last edited by mac1983; 11-05-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Sure, but what was the purpose of counter posting in the first place then? You want the coal dust contamination to belittled along-side Edmonton and Calgary sprawl? Or just ****ed off for some reason because someone mentioned nuclear?

When I read the post I had a different reaction. I looked up Window Mountain Lake. Read about how to get there, saw some amazing pictures, read some posts (this year) of people getting in to enjoy it, fish it...
I wonder if they even knew...
Anyways, I found it a far better use of my time on getting educated about it, understanding it.
Old 11-05-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Sure, but what was the purpose of counter posting in the first place then? You want the coal dust contamination to belittled along-side Edmonton and Calgary sprawl? Or just ****ed off for some reason because someone mentioned nuclear?

When I read the post I had a different reaction. I looked up Window Mountain Lake. Read about how to get there, saw some amazing pictures, read some posts (this year) of people getting in to enjoy it, fish it...
I wonder if they even knew...
Anyways, I found it a far better use of my time on getting educated about it, understanding it.
Read Mac's post above

The coal isn't being burned here, so why bring up nucleur power generation?

Like it or not, collateral damage (ie. urban sprawl) is a thing in todays overpopulated world.
Check out to thread on "lack of healthcare". Where does the money come from for that?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:25 PM

The issue is not this one lake.
It is the accumulated pollutants that are flowing downstream/downwind from every headwater stream collecting mining releases in it's drainage basin. It is the transportation of pollutants across provincial and federal lines. There are long range deleterious effects to our waterways. I remain concerned about the future of our Eastern slopes.

Urban sprawl is a real thing. I get it. We could do better with condensing housing. It is an issue that has been growing for centuries.

Some questions in my head:
Are the tax dollars we collect today for the methods we use worth what we are willing to give up and/or destroy? Will there be serious consequences down the road...financial, health, loss of quality of life? Would it be wise to change the methods to make steel to ones that exclude the use of metallurgical coal? Are we only willing to look 20 years in the future?
Old 11-05-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
The issue is not this one lake.
It is the accumulated pollutants that are flowing downstream/downwind from every headwater stream collecting mining releases in it's drainage basin. It is the transportation of pollutants across provincial and federal lines. There are long range deleterious effects to our waterways. I remain concerned about the future of our Eastern slopes.

Urban sprawl is a real thing. I get it. We could do better with condensing housing. It is an issue that has been growing for centuries.

Some questions in my head:
Are the tax dollars we collect today for the methods we use worth what we are willing to give up and/or destroy? Will there be serious consequences down the road...financial, health, loss of quality of life? Would it be wise to change the methods to make steel to ones that exclude the use of metallurgical coal? Are we only willing to look 20 years in the future?
Just to add, will cities across Canada (think most of Alberta treats sewage) still be able to dump billions litres of untreated sewerage into our waterways every year?
Old 11-05-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You mean Asia should be considering nucleur?
Nice try, many countries in Asia have nuclear plants.

Regardless, this topic is straying from the main point of the OP. Dust control is very important, deposition in waterbodies and watercourses is very detrimental. Gravel roads also contribute big time to sed deposition, so this coal dust deposition is not a surprise.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Nice try, many countries in Asia have nuclear plants.

Regardless, this topic is straying from the main point of the OP. Dust control is very important, deposition in waterbodies and watercourses is very detrimental. Gravel roads also contribute big time to sed deposition, so this coal dust deposition is not a surprise.

Is this coal depositian different from the coal i see in many mountain streams and lakes that erode out of the naturally occurring coal outcropping in the mountains?
Old 11-05-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Is this coal depositian different from the coal i see in many mountain streams and lakes that erode out of the naturally occurring coal outcropping in the mountains?
Similar to the oil leaking from rocks up and down the rivers/ muskeg in Ab. It is kind of neat to see the small oil pools,
Old 11-05-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
My thoughts too. But that doesn’t mean I’m for coal mining.

BW
Old 11-06-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Similar to the oil leaking from rocks up and down the rivers/ muskeg in Ab. It is kind of neat to see the small oil pools,
Those are biofilms of hydrocarbons produced by algae and bacteria breaking down organic matter in the skeg. It’s usually associated with that orange algae that looks like rust. If you poke the slick floating on top of the water, and it breaks apart but doesn’t rejoin (like any oil in water), it’s a biofilm. If it rejoins to become a single entity, it’s oil.