Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Fly rod building course in the Calgary area.

Has anyone taken the rod building course offered through Fish Tales in Calgary? Are there other options in the Calgary area? I have rekindled my love of cutthroat and want to build a rod to celebrate.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Pieroway Rod Company also offers courses periodically.

http://www.pierowayrods.com

I have not enrolled in either course so cannot speak to how well organized they are.

If you go, please let us know how it is. I have been wanting to do this for a while now.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Check out epic flyrods.

They sell you a kit with all of the materials to build yourself a rod, along with instructions you will need to build your rod.

Looked pretty cool to me. Think it would Good for a do-it-yourself and problem solver type.

If not a class might be a better choice.

Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:38 PM

I built one through Fish Tales a couple years ago. Wayne did an excellent job with his instruction. I couldn't be happier - don't think I would've had as good of result with google & youtube. Would highly recommend for a first build.

DM me if you have any questions.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:35 PM

Thought you might want to see this. I remember coming across this a few years ago when I was considering building a rod.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FlyrodFanatic/videos

There are quite a few instructional videos on youtube other than the link posted, as well.

Maybe all you really need is a kit and these vids.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, I have been doing a fair bit of research watching vids and reading about rod building.
I’m usually a do it yourself guy but in this case, I would like to take a course see the tools techniques up close.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Rod Building

Hi guys,

This thread peaked my interest as I've been thinking of getting sending my dad to the course as a christmas present. Does anyone know roughly what the cost of blanks and materials would be for a 5wt rod.

Thank you,
Frank
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber1 View Post
Hi guys,

This thread peaked my interest as I've been thinking of getting sending my dad to the course as a christmas present. Does anyone know roughly what the cost of blanks and materials would be for a 5wt rod.

Thank you,
Frank
The cost is really dependent on what quality of blank you choose to buy. I wouldn't recommend anyone build on a Sage or any expensive blank until they have built a few rods. I'm not saying you can't fish a rod that is your first build even if it has crappy wraps. But is does take some time to get good at wrapping a rod. I usually tell people to build at least 2 or 3 rods before tackling a really good blank. If your going to spend the money on a good blank you want it to also look nice.

So for an entry level blank, components and epoxy I would say about $100. Of course you can spend $400 to $1000 on a blank. But as I said I wouldn't recommend it.