Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
No different than people crying to their doctor for antidepressants. Lots of people have been behind the wheel and at work zoinked on antidepressants for decades...

Agreed. Prescription drug abuse is much more prevalent than that of cannabis abuse. You don't hear as much about it however as the drugs are "legal" and "prescribed by a doctor".
Old 09-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Agreed. Prescription drug abuse is much more prevalent than that of cannabis abuse. You don't hear as much about it however as the drugs are "legal" and "prescribed by a doctor".
Absolutely. This demonizing of cannabis is getting old and wore out.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am fully aware that anybody whining about an upset tummy can go cry to their doctor and get a medical prescription for marijuana. But we aren't talking about that are we were talking about legality of illegal drugs for anybody that does not have the prescription. On the radio today while I was in Edmonton I heard do you have an upset stomach do you have stress or anxiety, life got you down go to your doctor you may qualify for medical marijuana brought to you by...
The retailers are sure going to jump all over this.
You tell me to get educated but the people that have the prescriptions and not the ones in here talking about it they don't need to they already have it. Maybe you need to reread

Why does this bother you so much?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. This demonizing of cannabis is getting old and wore out.
Thankfully none of the legal prescription drugs have ever led to addiction, overdose or any major social issues. Especially the opiod derivatives that are many times prescribed for even minor pain. I've never heard of anything adverse happening when people have been prescribed codeine, Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, OxyContin, Fenanyl etc. etc. etc. The pharmaceutical giants and medical practitioners have without a doubt created more drug addicts than all the street dealers combined.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the smell of Marijuana smoke but then again to me cigarette/cigar smoke is just as bad. Once legal, if people want to smoke it, vape it, eat it or drink it, have at it. It's not for me, but a glass of red wine, beer or a dram of Scotch isn't for everyone either.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If anyone could use some wacky tabacky......

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
why does it bother you so much that I hate (illegal) weed use?

If you want to get into all the personal reasons I would rather do it in person that over open forum.

My reasoning is very personal. Do I really have to justify it for you in here?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Thankfully none of the legal prescription drugs have ever led to addiction, overdose or any major social issues. Especially the opiod derivatives that are many times prescribed for even minor pain. I've never heard of anything adverse happening when people have been prescribed codeine, Vicodin, Percocet, Demerol, OxyContin, Fenanyl etc. etc. etc. The pharmaceutical giants and medical practitioners have without a doubt created more drug addicts than all the street dealers combined.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the smell of Marijuana smoke but then again to me cigarette/cigar smoke is just as bad. Once legal, if people want to smoke it, vape it, eat it or drink it, have at it. It's not for me, but a glass of red wine, beer or a dram of Scotch isn't for everyone either.

Agreed. My ex wife was addicted to Ativan, morphine and gabapentin all prescribed. She had three different doctors from Spruce Grove, St. Albert and Edmonton prescribing the Ativan. The morphine and gabapentin was from a dental procedure that went awry and lead to malpractice suit. This all lead to her heroin and cocaine use. I now have my 11 year old son and 15 year old daughter. Not fun. How is that for knowing what legal prescriptions can do on a personal level???

Last edited by 1899b; 09-14-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
why does it bother you so much that I hate (illegal) weed use?

If you want to get into all the personal reasons I would rather do it in person that over open forum.

My reasoning is very personal. Do I really have to justify it for you in here?

It's as good as legal. In one month people will cruise into a store and be able to buy it. Best get used to it.

I am glad cops won't have to waste their time with it and can move onto more serious matters.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
My ex wife was addicted to Ativan, morphine and gabapentin all prescribed. She had three different doctors from Spruce Grove, St. Albert and Edmonton prescribing the Ativan. The morphine and gabapentin was from a dental procedure that went awry. This all lead to her heroin and cocaine use. I now have my 11 year old son and 15 year old daughter. Not fun....
A sad situation. The other side of this is people that take their own lives because they can get no relief from chronic pain. I don't know what the answer is. I have been suffering from chronic sinus pain since the first weekend in July, terrible headaches and all round miserable situation.Not near as bad as most chronic pain sufferers, but I'll tell you, it starts to get old after a few months.

A close family member suffered from post concussion syndrome for years in the early 70's. In those days it was not understood, he suffered alone and with no support group. All the Dr's could offer him was opeiods for head aches. He of course got hooked and was a functional drug user for 35 years, was very sad to watch him wither. The worst was the lack of compassion he got out of people in his family. So I see both sides of it, I feel for those in chronic pain and wish there was an answer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-14-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
A sad situation. The other side of this is people that take their own lives because they can get no relief from chronic pain. I don't know what the answer is. I have been suffering from chronic sinus pain since the first weekend in July, terrible headaches and all round miserable situation.Not near as bad as most chronic pain sufferers, but I'll tell you, it starts to get old after a few months.

A close family member suffered from post concussion syndrome for years in the early 70's. In those days it was not understood, he suffered alone and with no support group. All the Dr's could offer him was opeiods for head aches. He of course got hooked and was a functional drug user for 35 years, was very sad to watch him wither. The worst was the lack of compassion he got out of people in his family. So I see both sides of it, I feel for those in chronic pain and wish there was an answer.
Very sad situation Piker. The worst part is that person is no longer the same person. She won’t and refuses to get help and I couldn’t allow my kids to be dragged into it anymore as they have been through enough through this process. Her own parents and family are very glad and thankful the kids are with me now. She will have to find her way or not. But as for my kids, who are tired of her failures and her escapades, it’s onward and upward. We have a life to live, love and enjoy. Sorry for the derail....
Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Very sad situation Piker. The worst part is that person is no longer the same person. She won’t and refuses to get help and I couldn’t allow my kids to be dragged into it anymore as they have been through enough through this process. Her own parents and family are very glad and thankful the kids are with me now. She will have to find her way or not. But as for my kids, who are tired of her failures and her escapades, it’s onward and upward. We have a life to live, love and enjoy. Sorry for the derail....
I am truly sorry that your family went through such hell.

Ever wonder why I am against this garbage?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2018, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=sns2;3841048]It's as good as legal.

It's illegal as it's ever been
Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Haven't smoked a joint or had a drink in over 25 years, and I ain't looking for a hero biscuit either. Just saying I have no real skin in this game. But I am pretty sure that the VAST majority of people who rail against some guy who chooses to smoke weed, probably think nothing of knocking back a half sack of beer while watching the boob tube on a Friday night. I read all these threads on pot and haven't seen anyone come close to convincing me that one is worse than the other. Moderation in most all things is fine.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
It's illegal as it's ever been
Actually, it's much more illegal than it has ever been. Minimum sentences for "illegal" marijuana have gone from 6 month to 14 years. The Liberal cartel wants to destroy the competition.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Just saw this and thought it fits this thread, besides issues with traffic or work laws, the legalization might have an impact on Canadians for the travel to the USA. Anyone that invested or invests in pot related business, works in the industry or simply used it might face a lifetime ban to the USA. Already happened to people from other countries, as federally it's still illegal down South.
Adds to my opinion that the whole legalization thing is too early, too rushed and not thought through enough. No laws in place, still lots of confusion, the pros and cons should have been evaluated better, the fallout will be much bigger than failed roadside tests or tests at work.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-783260
Old 09-14-2018, 10:25 PM

I personally don’t see a problem. The massive economy is homegrown, in a high tech sector. Cutting edge to market to the states when they flip over. Just one question, if a Canadian cant enter the US if they are associated with the industry, does that prevent American companies from investing in our market?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 PM

As long as it doesn't harm anyone, I don't have a problem with it in any way.
I take a lot of prescription drugs (some opiates) and am looking forward to experimenting to see what I can use to stop taking some of them.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I am glad cops won't have to waste their time with it and can move onto more serious matters.
SNS. I think the police are going to be spending a lot of time dealing with this, especially from the onset.
There will be stoned people everywhere they'll have to deal with, and lots of time spent road testing stoned drivers instead of doing other police work.

Just wait until edibles hit the streets. (or start getting distributed from people making them illegally, from LEGALLY purchased pot).

I heard some horror stories from a couple guys at work about how bad edibles can mess you up, especially if you don't know exactly what it is you've taken.

This will be messy, at least from the start.

However...I agree with the principle that fewer people will be sitting in jail for possession of a little bit of weed. I'm sure some pretty benign charges over the years have had an unnecessarily negative impact on otherwise upstanding peoples lives.

In other cases though, I'm sure possession was a great tool for law enforcement to take someone into custody in place of a lack of evidence for another crime, ie: "we know this is the guy who's been breaking into those cars, though we can't prove it, but we can take him in for this bag of dope we found in his pocket".

Last edited by happy honker; 09-15-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagehunter View Post
Just saw this and thought it fits this thread, besides issues with traffic or work laws, the legalization might have an impact on Canadians for the travel to the USA. Anyone that invested or invests in pot related business, works in the industry or simply used it might face a lifetime ban to the USA. Already happened to people from other countries, as federally it's still illegal down South.
Adds to my opinion that the whole legalization thing is too early, too rushed and not thought through enough. No laws in place, still lots of confusion, the pros and cons should have been evaluated better, the fallout will be much bigger than failed roadside tests or tests at work.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-border-783260
Just another US bullying tactic to protect an industry they want to all to themselves. The pot industry in the US is worth billions at present, don't be fooled by their nonsense.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

Default Alcohol Is Poison Pot Is Harmless

Just my 2 cents worth,

As far as I am concerned Alcohol is pure poison and kills thousands of people in Canada every year. Liver disease, Heart Disease, DUI related deaths the list goes on and on!

I quit drinking completely in January this year and started smoking pot if I want to get high, since then I have lost 50 lbs! When I smoke some pot I typically go for a 12 mile bike ride, then when I get home I weight train. Try that after having a 6 pack of beer, ain't going to happen.

IMO Pot is harmless, it is Opioids and Alcohol that are highly addictive and dangerous and will eventually kill you if you abuse them.

A couple of weeks ago Willie Nelson was doing a concert in Texas, he smokes pot all day long. In an interview same day he said that many of his friends died alcohol related deaths. Willie Nelson is going strong at 85, try that being a long term drinker.

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 09-15-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Just got back from an outstanding goose shoot. Limited out on specks and topped up with Canadas. Three guys who met through the forum and we had a blast. I unloaded the gear, disassembled and cleaned the new Benelli, and had a hot shower. I have a bad back which was wrecked when I was rear-ended at a crosswalk when I was 24 and weighed 170 lbs. Arthritis set in years ago. 170lbs is a long ways in the rear view mirror which certainly doesn't help. Many days, I can barely hobble, much less feel good. I just took two Robax platinum and washed it down with coffee. I feel higher than a kite and I know it is bad stuff in my guts and veins. Please tell me how this stuff is any better than a plant based treatment. I'm all ears...

On Oct 17th, I will be walking into a store and buying some of the stuff that many, many forum members have reported they found great relief from. I won't need a prescription that may restrict future travel, I won't leave the house after I take it, and I won't feel a twinge guilty that I am doing something wrong either.

I had Percocet, Tramadol, Oxycodone, and Dilaudid in my cupboard this summer for my back and an exceedingly painful episode with a pinched nerve that had me off work for 6 weeks in May - June 2017. I hate that stuff with a passion and got rid of it from my house. Scares the daylights out of me. My doctor warned me I would feel reliant on it and go through withdrawal coming off. He was very much right. I am not worried that some pot extract is going to do the same. I just am not.

Last edited by sns2; 09-15-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Hey pikergolf. When you say oil is this cbd oil? Or is there thc in it? Does it give you the 'high' or just relieve the pain.
You can get both. I use high dose CBD, less than 1% THC but the recommendation was to have at least a little THC since it “boosts” pain response of the CBD. It is great, though. I have arthritis in my lower back, and it’s been one of the biggest reasons I’m still walking
Old 09-15-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
SNS. I think the police are going to be spending a lot of time dealing with this, especially from the onset.
There will be stoned people everywhere they'll have to deal with, and lots of time spent road testing stoned drivers instead of doing other police work.

Just wait until edibles hit the streets. (or start getting distributed from people making them illegally, from LEGALLY purchased pot).

I heard some horror stories from a couple guys at work about how bad edibles can mess you up, especially if you don't know exactly what it is you've taken.

This will be messy, at least from the start.

However...I agree with the principle that fewer people will be sitting in jail for possession of a little bit of weed. I'm sure some pretty benign charges over the years have had an unnecessarily negative impact on otherwise upstanding peoples lives.

In other cases though, I'm sure possession was a great tool for law enforcement to take someone into custody in place of a lack of evidence for another crime, ie: "we know this is the guy who's been breaking into those cars, though we can't prove it, but we can take him in for this bag of dope we found in his pocket".
In my opinion you are very wrong. I bet you won't even notice when the legal day comes and goes. It is prevalent now and I don't even notice, this is not earth shattering like some claim.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-15-2018, 04:37 PM

My parents used to and probably still do, consider weed to be the same as heroin or any other hard drug. Feels like some on the forum feel the same way. I'm damn near 60 and have seen the personal effects of alcohol, prescription drugs and illegal narcotics other than weed as I'm sure many of you have. Not a pretty thing. Weed doesn't break up families and people don't overdose and die. When I went through radiation, it was the only thing that got rid of the nausea and gave me an appetite to eat the 4000 calories per day I was supposed to ingest. The anti-nausea drugs were useless in comparison. Legalizing it has been a long time coming for many reasons, the majority of them beneficial.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Obtained a "green card" and went through at least 50 different strains, oil, weed, edibles, etc. They claim to have ones that give you energy and not get you high and take away pain..... still havent found one. The straight cbd oil has done zero for my pain, the high thc ones help with the pain.... mostly because im so high and paranoid ive forgotten about it. Still zero help for me. 3 percocet allow me to work pain free all day with zero impairment, actually have more patience and drive then pot. I understand its different for everyone. But if someone can suggest a marijuana strain that truly gives you energy, relives pain, all without impairing me and causing emotional stress. PLEAE let me know, as i would to replace the opiodes.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Obtained a "green card" and went through at least 50 different strains, oil, weed, edibles, etc. They claim to have ones that give you energy and not get you high and take away pain..... still havent found one. The straight cbd oil has done zero for my pain, the high thc ones help with the pain.... mostly because im so high and paranoid ive forgotten about it. Still zero help for me. 3 percocet allow me to work pain free all day with zero impairment, actually have more patience and drive then pot. I understand its different for everyone. But if someone can suggest a marijuana strain that truly gives you energy, relives pain, all without impairing me and causing emotional stress. PLEAE let me know, as i would to replace the opiodes.
Pretty hard to replace opioids and prescription alternatives for chronic pain. Roy Green has been on this hard on QR for a long time. I'm glad I'm not there and certainly sympathize with those who are.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM

You guys would be amazed at the number of people out there who are high on pain killers. If you know what to look for it's easy to spot someone on opiates.

For that reason, along with the fact that legalizing drugs would reduce violent crime. Im for legalizing all drugs. To me if someone wants to get high, they'll find a way. Id much rather people be ingesting/injecting safe drugs with some regulatory control, over who knows what that theyve bought off the street.

For the record the hardest drug I do is drink bud light with the occasional whiskey. Not a heavy drinker by any means. In saying that the government cant control what people put into their body. Despite how hard they try. Its a massive waste of money, and turns otherwise good people into criminals.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-15-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Well... I have no problem personally with a couple guys enjoying some beers in the park. I do feel there should be bylaws limiting public intoxication though as that can result in violent and disrespectful behavior.

We all have different tolerances for different behaviors. I hate cigarette smoking and have never been a smoker, but I want smokers to have the freedom to suck on a cig. This is how I feel about pot as well.

My neighbors smoke pot all the time, I smell it every now and then and could care less. They also never complain when I am making noise in my garage in the evenings or my dogs bark at squirrels.
Your exactly right about differing tolerances. I am also quite tolerant of what others around me are doing.....noise next door, etc.
Maybe it's just me.... but one tolerance I'm lacking is me and or my family having to breath in toxins from somebody else's smoking pleasure.
Always Reminds me of "" the residue of pleasure " joke...lol
Old 09-15-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Portugal

Portugal seems to be an interesting case study on a country that has de-criminalized drugs. I won't comment because I only watched one show, but they seem to be happy with the results. Who knows. I know that US prisons busting at the seams with taxpayers paying for guys who got caught with a bag of weed isn't the answer.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Portugal seems to be an interesting case study on a country that has de-criminalized drugs. I won't comment because I only watched one show, but they seem to be happy with the results. Who knows. I know that US prisons busting at the seams with taxpayers paying for guys who got caught with a bag of weed isn't the answer.
That is what keeps the white world running. Cheap lives, cheap labour.