Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 AM

Glad to see you back, Redfrog. Welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
I dont think the honest guy is getting nailed to any crosses.
I think that is a stretch, but, perhaps, not that bad of a rule to live by.

Three years ago, I was hunting ducks (and geese) on these two flooded quarters. One day, ducks were flying pretty tight back and forth. I fired my very first shot and six ducks dropped dead. I decided not to pull my luck further and went home. Can't say it was the most exciting hunt. The same year on the same quarter, I shot a few ducks. Another was hit and it was obvious but it kept flying and went the distance as far as I could see it toward another field people were bird hunting, according to shots I heard. Once I got my duck limit, and a few geese, I decided to go home. While walking to the vehicle, I saw a speck going down out of nowhere and flying right at me. It came from the direction the duck went to sometime earlier. I took that goose (saw it was freshly shot) and thought of it as a payback by the guys that may have gotten the mallard I had sent their way. Maybe their dog brought them that mallard as the ninth duck? Who knows.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Banned

Because you were one bird short of your limit means you couldn’t have just gone home for the day and then try again tomorrow. Hell there are guys out there and some of them are even AO members who would take birds home and come back the same day and fill their limit again. Now ask yourself, is that legal?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Funny, i actually lived this exact scenario. I and a buddy shot ducks over a slough in a field and had a great day. Bagged limits of mallards and i was excited as it had been a long time since I had BBQ duck.

Dog has squirreled off somewhere nosing around and comes back with another mallard. Busted wing, and had gone completely unnoticed.

Well ****, Im not one to waste things so i call F&W and talk to an officer. He says being over in possession is an offence, but so is waste. Thanks for being honest, consume it today and do your best to keep to bag limits in the future.

I dont think the honest guy is getting nailed to any crosses.
And that right there is how things should have played out for the OP.

Good on you for calling it in.

Hunt for long enough and that is going to happen.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Because you were one bird short of your limit means you couldn’t have just gone home for the day and then try again tomorrow. Hell there are guys out there and some of them are even AO members who would take birds home and come back the same day and fill their limit again. Now ask yourself, is that legal?
According to the F&W officer that lives by me, they are watching for people killing a limit of pheasants at the release sites, and then either giving the birds away, or going home with them, and continuing to hunt. Some friends actually mentioned one individual offering them two birds, they declined, but someone else accepted, and the guy went out hunting again.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Banned

I know a guy who shot and wounded a bull Elk it got into a coulee with brush when he got over to the coulee edge to find the bull another bull of about the same size came out of the brush and he took the shot thinking it was the bull he wounded. When he got down into the coulee to retrieve his bull he found that he had actually killed 2 bull by mistake. He phoned F&W they came out investigated and let him keep the one and they took the other bull and donated the meat. No charges were ever laid. Now he could have just walked away from the other bull, but because he was honest and phone F&W they were leaniant of the situation.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
According to the F&W officer that lives by me, they are watching for people killing a limit of pheasants at the release sites, and then either giving the birds away, or going home with them, and continuing to hunt. Some friends actually mentioned one individual offering them two birds, they declined, but someone else accepted, and the guy went out hunting again.
This don’t seem right to me but I guess it’s no different then the single guy that shoots 2 deer, a elk and a moose.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
I know a guy who shot and wounded a bull Elk it got into a coulee with brush when he got over to the coulee edge to find the bull another bull of about the same size came out of the brush and he took the shot thinking it was the bull he wounded. When he got down into the coulee to retrieve his bull he found that he had actually killed 2 bull by mistake. He phoned F&W they came out investigated and let him keep the one and they took the other bull and donated the meat. No charges were ever laid. Now he could have just walked away from the other bull, but because he was honest and phone F&W they were leaniant of the situation.
This. Been in a similar situation myself.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
This don’t seem right to me but I guess it’s no different then the single guy that shoots 2 deer, a elk and a moose.
It's totally different, the guy that has the tags for the four animals is a legal hunter, the guy exceeding his bag limit on pheasants is a poacher.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's totally different, the guy that has the tags for the four animals is a legal hunter, the guy exceeding his bag limit on pheasants is a poacher.
The way I read your post is the guy shot his limits of birds then gave them away so he could go hunting again. Not much different imo. Greed is greed no matter which way you look at it.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
The way I read your post is the guy shot his limits of birds then gave them away so he could go hunting again. Not much different imo. Greed is greed no matter which way you look at it.
It doesn't matter whether he gave the birds away or not, he still exceeded his daily bag limit, so he is a poacher. As for the fellow with four tags, you have no idea where the meat went,or who filled them, or how long he waited to draw them .I have had four draws in one year, after waiting years building priority to draw them. And when I drew them, other people bought partner licenses to fill some of those tags. It had nothing to do with greed.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether he gave the birds away or not, he still exceeded his daily bag limit, so he is a poacher. As for the fellow with four tags, you have no idea where the meat went,or who filled them, or how long he waited to draw them.
You read how you will I'll read how I will.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
You read how you will I'll read how I will.
I choose to go with the regulations, and the legal bag limits, because I choose to be a hunter, rather than a poacher.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I like when F&W approach things this way. Unfortunately, if he got the wrong guy on the end of the phone, it could have ended badly for him.

I sure hope they teach to give the benefit of the doubt when guys are trying to do the right thing like this fellow.

Hunt long enough and accidents do happen.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:50 AM

If he just wanted to get more work for his dog, he should have put his gun and birds in the truck, and asked the other guys if they wanted to hunt over a dog and handler. Who wouldn't say yes to such an offer.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If he just wanted to get more work for his dog, he should have put his gun and birds in the truck, and asked the other guys if they wanted to hunt over a dog and handler. Who wouldn't say yes to such an offer.
I have done exactly that several times. I have also given my birds to other hunters that didn't get any, but I stopped hunting for the day.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I choose to go with the regulations, and the legal bag limits, because I choose to be a hunter, rather than a poacher.
Me too but I don't need to go hunting just to kill stuff for anyone else. I guess that's where we differ.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:02 AM
Banned

I guess what I'm saying elk is if you only eat 10 birds a year but are allowed 50 why shoot 50?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Me too but I don't need to go hunting just to kill stuff for anyone else. I guess that's where we differ.
I have built up my priorities to double digits, and while doing so, I didn't hunt those species for many years, so it wasn't about killing animals. I have also had youth hunters fill the tags that I used those double digit priorities to get, so again, not about killing animals. I have also let many tags go unused that I could have filled, but I chose not to fill them. In the last three years, I have filled exactly one tag myself, and that was because the youth hunter could not make the hunt. The other tags were filled by people using partner tags. So no, for me it's not about killing as many animals as I can.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
I think if I were the investigating officer you would get a ticket for consumption of alcohol while hunting sucks or was it dekes that the dog retrieved.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I have built up my priorities to double digits, and while doing so, I didn't hunt those species for many years, so it wasn't about killing animals. I have also had youth hunters fill the tags that I used those double digit priorities to get, so again, not about killing animals. I have also let many tags go unused that I could have filled, but I chose not to fill them. In the last three years, I have filled exactly one tag myself, and that was because the youth hunter could not make the hunt. The other tags were filled by people using partner tags. So no, for me it's not about killing as many animals as I can.
My son shot a mulie buck this year that a priority 14 was used on by Elk11. He also would have shot a Trophy Pronghorn, had I been able to take the time off work. He has taken my boy under his wing with nothing to gain other than the joy of mentoring a future hunter the right way, by the rules and with safety a priority. My son thinks he walks on water which is great. The more real men my son has as role models the better. They also share a distaste for Trudeau. I am grateful that my son has people like that in his life other than me.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Luv this thread.....asking advice on a situation that never happened or did it

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Luv this thread.....asking advice on a situation that never happened or did it
Red frog said it was a true story!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
No charges,because the dog retrieved the duck dosent mean they shot it.
Proving it in a court will be your burden if the G/W writes the ticket....
There is case law here in BC near YVR where a retired lawyer was walking his dog (lab) and she picked up wounded bird after the season was closed.
Hunting during a closed season and possession of Migratory Game Bird in a a closed season.
Write or wrong it all depends on how the interaction goes and of the G/W breaks out his or her writing implement.
Rob
Old 01-20-2019, 01:54 PM

So what happens if the CO and your buddy are shot dead and you end up with a freezer full of yummy duck sausage? Asking for a friend.

Dodger.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

What dog?

Oh that dog?

I have no idea where that dog came from.

Go see if you can catch him and check out his tags.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son shot a mulie buck this year that a priority 14 was used on by Elk11. He also would have shot a Trophy Pronghorn, had I been able to take the time off work. He has taken my boy under his wing with nothing to gain other than the joy of mentoring a future hunter the right way, by the rules and with safety a priority. My son thinks he walks on water which is great. The more real men my son has as role models the better. They also share a distaste for Trudeau. I am grateful that my son has people like that in his life other than me.
Excellent to hear
Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Proving it in a court will be your burden if the G/W writes the ticket....
There is case law here in BC near YVR where a retired lawyer was walking his dog (lab) and she picked up wounded bird after the season was closed.
Hunting during a closed season and possession of Migratory Game Bird in a a closed season.
Write or wrong it all depends on how the interaction goes and of the G/W breaks out his or her writing implement.
Rob
No burden at all, the GW doesn’t have a leg to stand on. If it’s after the season is closed and I’m walking my dog without a shot gun pretty hard for me to shoot birds without a shotgun in my hand. I’d tell him to pound salt!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No burden at all, the GW doesn’t have a leg to stand on. If it’s after the season is closed and I’m walking my dog without a shot gun pretty hard for me to shoot birds without a shotgun in my hand. I’d tell him to pound salt!
The point of my story is regardless if you are guilty of a violation, you may still be charged by an over zealous GW or police officer for that matter. That means pay the fine or spend time and/or money in court, to have it dropped. Eother way you lose.

While it would be nice to believe every person in authority is honest, moral and fair, that is simply not the case. Whatever percentage of outfitters, regular hunters, or even general citizens who cheat, break the law and are generally culls can be extended to law enforcement and F/W. There's bad apples everywhere, so the old saying 'If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is BS>

Having a little power only makes it worse.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The point of my story is regardless if you are guilty of a violation, you may still be charged by an over zealous GW or police officer for that matter. That means pay the fine or spend time and/or money in court, to have it dropped. Eother way you lose.

While it would be nice to believe every person in authority is honest, moral and fair, that is simply not the case. Whatever percentage of outfitters, regular hunters, or even general citizens who cheat, break the law and are generally culls can be extended to law enforcement and F/W. There's bad apples everywhere, so the old saying 'If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is BS>

Having a little power only makes it worse.
There’s a hole s in every line of work. In my experience and a couple examples of freinds etc if you make an honest mistake, you don’t bs them, they are pretty good with you.

When moose went to tri palm in bc a friend screwed up on a bull and shot a two point. He had binos but still mis judged. He phoned it in and lost the moose but nothing else. Stuff happens sometimes. I have a couple other examples but wont bother.

If you bury a short sheep under a rockpile in the wrong wmu type of offence. Not so good.