Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Ebay lesson

Ordered some fishing stuff. It did not arrive as described. Asked for a refund. They stalled. Turned out just long enough to pass the time for posting reviews.

Plus pass the time apparently for Ebay to help.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-28-2018, 11:43 AM

Try Paypal they act quicker than Ebay I think they give you 3 months to file a dispute
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Try Paypal they act quicker than Ebay I think they give you 3 months to file a dispute
You good Sir is the stud!

Didn’t know about that. Just send in the problem. The other seller gave me the refund after escalating to EBay.

The two sellers from China listed ice fishing rod a ultra light but they were labeled light and more medium.

One had s day left for eBay to help. That seller paid the refund in seconds.

The other is now with PayPal.

Fingers crossed.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 12-28-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:38 PM

Over the 16 years I've dealt with Paypal and Ebay I found they will stand up for you glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Ordered a grinding wheel dresser off Amazon. Not here a month after scheduled delivery date, so they gave me a refund. Item arrived a few days later.

Grizz
Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Over the 16 years I've dealt with Paypal and Ebay I found they will stand up for you glad it worked out for you.
Smaller $15 refund happened. Waiting for the $43 refund.

Fingers crossed. They definitely stalled.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Smaller $15 refund happened. Waiting for the $43 refund.

Fingers crossed. They definitely stalled.
If the seller doesn't cough up Paypal will refund you they have the his credit card to back up any sales
Old 12-28-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
The two sellers from China
There's your first mistake.

Learned a few valuable lessons from buying off Chinese sellers. Besides taking forever to get here (negating the window to dispute item) it's often not as advertised.

You can filter your search results to only North American sellers, even if it costs twice as much it's money well spent.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

Learned a few valuable lessons from buying off Chinese sellers. Besides taking forever to get here (negating the window to dispute item) it's often not as advertised.

You can filter your search results to only North American sellers, even if it costs twice as much it's money well spent.
Everything is buyers beware however now that I know this process better it shouldn’t be a problem

Leave your review within the 60 days. Request ebay help within the time. Then use PayPal if needed.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:11 PM

I bought a 12 volt rheostat dimmer switch off ebay. 2.00 or something like that. It never showed up i left bad seller review.
They asked that i take the bad publicity has off asap.
I asked to get the switch and i would do that. They just asked again to remove it.
Never showed up the negative comment still sits there
Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

I found most Chinese sellers are fairly quick to refund. If you message them at the 40 day mark or so and let them know it has not arrived they usually will refund or resend it. Big sellers HATE it when you just file a claim as it counts as a strike against them and too many strikes means their discounts on fees etc get removed.

But yea, even without the holiday rush expect a package from China to take 2-3 months in general to arrive because customs holds onto them for a LONG time.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Everything is buyers beware however now that I know this process better it shouldn’t be a problem

Leave your review within the 60 days. Request ebay help within the time. Then use PayPal if needed.
Agree there are a few avenues of recourse but in my experience the delivery takes so long that the seller and FleaBay both tell you to sit tight going past the 90 day dispute period to file a claim dispite keeping in close contact with both being clear on the situation, happened three times to me now, again just my experience.

I'm sure most people know this but EBay owns PayPal, or vice versa. They own Kijiji as well.

For me anyways I'll gladly pay a bit more and buy from a North American vendor.

Hopefully you have better luck then I did with Chinese vendors
Old 12-29-2018, 09:07 AM

PayPal is definitely a great avenue to follow when using eBay.

I was ripped off a couple years ago on a set of Danner Rats. I asked the seller specifically, if the boots were new and unblemished or factory seconds. The response was that they were new from factory and not factory seconds. Boots arrived and they were in fact factory seconds. I contacted the seller and was offered a $20 refund and he continued the denials that the boots were seconds. I contacted eBay and their resolution was for me to pay for shipping to receive a refund. That shipping resulted in a total of $70 USD out of my pocket by the time it was finished. I forwarded the email communications indicating my questions and the seller's lie but it meant nothing to eBay. I got screwed but i also gained some experience in dealing with eBay.

Last year I purchased another item that was very different from the item that was pictured. The seller insisted the item sent to me was exactly as pictured on the eBay listing. I contacted PayPal, showed them the pics from the seller's eBay listing and the pics of the item receieved. PayPal gave me a full refund and there was no need to pay for the shipping return to the seller.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220 Swift View Post
I bought a 12 volt rheostat dimmer switch off ebay. 2.00 or something like that. It never showed up i left bad seller review.
They asked that i take the bad publicity has off asap.
I asked to get the switch and i would do that. They just asked again to remove it.
Never showed up the negative comment still sits there
There is a button to click on to get Ebay to help rectify a problem. If you had done that you would of got your money back.

I wonder how many parcels are delivered but stolen off the porch these days.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Recently bought ATV parts on EBay (from an Alberta dealer). Parts that arrived were not what was pictured. eBay ad said clearance parts, no returns. Emailed dealer who was not interested in helping. Then I posted scathing feedback. Dealer responded very quickly and offered refund or return if I removed my feedback.

Feedback works.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:09 AM

I gave up on Ebay years ago due to similar issues as described. Feedback did work, but the hours spent disputing and shipping things back and forth just took away the value for me. Amazon and kijiji have done me good.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
I gave up on Ebay years ago due to similar issues as described. Feedback did work, but the hours spent disputing and shipping things back and forth just took away the value for me. Amazon and kijiji have done me good.
Ditto. I do a lot of buying online and refuse to use Ebay ever again.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:44 AM

I buy a lot online find PayPal is very helpful when there is a problem. I always checkout the seller and comments they have received first before purchasing. I had problems with Ebay but thankfully the issues have been resolved, I go to Amazon more than Ebay. I hate to have to pay to return the item if there is a problem. Usually works out that the shipping both ways is more than the item was worth. Bottom line BUYER beware.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:56 AM

I seldom use Ebay anymore mostly because of the shipping costs and US dollars. I avoid the Chinese items unless it's a low cost item and I have 6-8 weeks to get it EG. the same cell phone battery the Telus store sells for $54 can be bought for $10 shipped.
Always check shipping costs, ship time and sellers feedback before buying, any problems start a claim with Ebay right away you can always cancel, some sellers will try to drag out a dispute until it's too late.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If the seller doesn't cough up Paypal will refund you they have the his credit card to back up any sales
You Sir are brilliant.

Paypal refunded the money. Used screen shots of the ebay seller messaging over and over they will refund...they will refund. Then once past the ebay complaint period they stopped responding.

Paypal ruled in my favor.

You da man!

Three cheers for bat119!

Hip Hip Horray
Hip Hip Horray
Hip Hip Horray

Old 01-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Glad it worked out for you
Old 02-02-2019, 01:56 PM

yeah if you call ebay they will help you beyond the time period
Old 02-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Good to know, I always thought PayPal was a total rip off.Thanks.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Last time I used ebay I got fleeced on a set of Tiger Woods Mistress golf balls. haha
Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Ordered some fishing stuff. It did not arrive as described. Asked for a refund. They stalled. Turned out just long enough to pass the time for posting reviews.

Plus pass the time apparently for Ebay to help.
That's strange. Everything I ordered from Ebay, and god knows it was a lots of it , it either came without problems in time or if there was a problem with delivery (like the item didn't came in estimated time), the seller always gave me a full refund..
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Last year I purchased a rear bag for shooting from a local Auction House It was not as pictured, but the description was perfect. I payed for it and wrote it off as the way to do business. But I am very care full now as to written and picture. OH WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fully realize that not everyone is in the same boat.