Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Default Arizona Fishin Adventure - Update - Got Something Different

Departed Sylvan for warmer weather got to Phoenix on Dec 31 in time for a Happy N/Y, got settled in our rental condo, priority was smell of fresh cut grass & golf but the owner said there’s fishin gear if I wish to use it. Always interesting to see what others have in the T-box, now I’m wondering what they have stocked in the lake, everyone here has a electric pontoon boat but haven’t seen anyone fishin …. wonder if wire worms would produce ? Were here for a month, stay tuned.

D.

Back Yard & Dock

Looking East some nice Homes

Nice view West

Classic Tackle Box

Extra Gear

H.D. Line

Retro Rod & Reel

Interesting W/W’s

Fishin Buddy & his Pink friend Hanging Out

Cold Beer in Hot Tube & Fishin …. Arizona Dreaming!

Old 01-03-2019, 03:51 PM

I would put a bobber on with no hook .. grab a case of beer and have a great day ‘fishing’
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Totally sweet! That looks amazing alright. Those "town" lakes are usually stocked with catfish and small mouth. Sometimes they do trout as well. You could be in for some surprises

Good luck in the fishing.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Really cool looking place!
I've been lucky enough to visit Phoenix a few times now and here is what I've found has been effective for those urban ponds.

First, those lakes almost always hold numbers of Large mouth Bass, Channel Catfish, and Bluegill, assuming that this is a private lake, there is also probably Grass Carp to control the weed growth.

Your best bet is for Bass off of docks and such. I've had good luck on a simple drop shot rig and soft plastic swim baits, generally in a white/silver color in representation of a Shad.

Catfish are mainly predators so I would use a piece of a hot-dog, steak, liver, you name it. I like circle hooks but baitholder hooks will do the trick.

For bluegill, your average small curlytail grub should do the trick, on a small jighead.

and for Grass Carp, they are strictly herbivores and the best way to target them is by using corn or bread, again, baitholder hooks will work.

Fishing4Trophies
Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Really curious what's in there....hope you catch and report back!
Old 01-03-2019, 04:11 PM

There's a bunch of bobbers & I stocked up at Costco, boose is so cheep here. Watched the Heron get something this morning, looked like a Pumpkin Seed or Bluegill .... it will definitely be a surprise. Fry's the local grocery store sell's seafood, may have to cook up some garlic shrimp!

Going to the driving range need to get my swing back then some fishin ...stay tuned.

D.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM

I'd put money on the fact that wire worms would work. Good luck, look forward to the update
Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Default nice

DO you typically go to the same place, how much to rent for a month, gotta start planning retirement....?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Default Arizona Fishin Adventure

The ice looks a little thin there...you may want to wait a bit.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:11 PM

looks more like a swimming pool than a lake. If anyone is videoing you and laughing just put the rod down and walk away..............
Old 01-04-2019, 12:21 PM

Default Phoenix

Where are you in Phoenix? I want to rent there.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
looks more like a swimming pool than a lake. If anyone is videoing you and laughing just put the rod down and walk away..............
I'm sure the people from Manitoba and Ontario say the same thing about our shallow lakes.

I'm sure Zip will be laughing at us sitting on a frozen lake when he has a rod extended out from the hot tub, sipping a nice drink and reeling in a cat fish
Old 01-04-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I'm sure the people from Manitoba and Ontario say the same thing about our shallow lakes.
TRUTH!!! ha ha ha! My poor cousin who just moved here....seeing reservoirs after years of Shield lakes.............
Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 PM

In reply to the posts .....

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
DO you typically go to the same place, how much to rent for a month, gotta start planning retirement....?
Sent you a P/M, two b-room homes/condo's with pool or H/T start at $3K USD/Month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
The ice looks a little thin there...you may want to wait a bit.
My tall glass of rum & coke is full of ice .... cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
The owner tells me they pay extra condo fee's to keep the lake water treated, it looks like we're in Banff or Jasper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto55 View Post
Where are you in Phoenix? I want to rent there.
Thanks
The community is called Island Lakes off Warner Road in Gilbert, Az .... nice and quiet and everything we need is 15 minutes or less.

Quote:

I'm sure Zip will be laughing at us sitting on a frozen lake when he has a rod extended out from the hot tub, sipping a nice drink and reeling in a cat fish
Mr. Snap .... nailed it, just haven't tried fishin off the dock yet, working on getting my swing back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
TRUTH!!! ha ha ha! My poor cousin who just moved here....seeing reservoirs after years of Shield lakes.............
Was raised 60 miles East of Wpg near the Ontario border, parents had a cabin not far from Lake of the Woods, miss fishin the Whiteshell & Wpg River system, but Sylvan is home sweat home now. Were looking into renting or borrowing a kayak & exploring the three lakes that are sort of connected here.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 01-04-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Finally found out what was in the lake, picked up some shrimp, the owner had the marshmallow trout bait, tied up a tandem wire-worm rig, enjoyed a couple beers and some R/R in the sun.

The heating system in our rental crapped out, contractor needed a crane to get the heat pump out of the back yard, told the neighbor I was fishin for Jaws!

Weather’s warming up …. 22C tomorrow T-time confirmed for another green meeting and perhaps some evening fishin out of the hot tub.

A few pic’s …. enjoy.

D.

Was told the fish are so big you’ll need a Crane!

First up was Prussian Carp or something similar!

Got 4 Arizona Bluegill’s

Looks like a young Channel Kitty Cat!

Looks a bit beat-up!

Say Ahhhhh - Pink M-mellow worked.

B-Gill's also like Marshmallows!

Old 01-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Those are mirror carp and they are not beat up that’s just how they look

Wish I had open water to fish
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Those are mirror carp and they are not beat up that’s just how they look

Wish I had open water to fish
Ok ... the second smaller one is/was missing most of it's armor, that was it's flesh/skin you see.

Edit: Did a Google ... I believe you're correct, however, the smaller one lost most of it's mirror's.
D.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM

Default Arizona adventure

Very cool scale patterns on that carp.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Ok ... the second smaller one is/was missing most of it's armor, that was it's flesh/skin you see.

D.
They are strange that way and often lack scales. I thought the same as you when I caught them in the past. I am actually more surprised how well scaled the first one is

Google mirror carp and you will see examples of what I mean

Guess we were typing at the same time lol
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
They are strange that way and often lack scales. I thought the same as you when I caught them in the past. I am actually more surprised how well scaled the first one is

Google mirror carp and you will see examples of what I mean

Guess we were typing at the same time lol
Yup ... the first Google image of a Mirror Carp is missing a patch, too. This one hit like a Rainbow and came out of the water with a little tail dance, almost dropped my beer, scrappy little fish!

D

Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Yup ... the first Google image of a Mirror Carp is missing a patch, too. This one hit like a Rainbow and came out of the water with a little tail dance, almost dropped my beer, scrappy little fish!

D
They like corn and bread my biggest was 18lbs so you might find some bigger fish in that pond. Only ever targeted carp a handful of times but they sure fight

Enjoy the sunshine and good luck
Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Nice work Zip! Livin the dream...
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Very cool Sir! Please keep up the pics for those of us living vicariously through you

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Ruffing it I see....working up to the big ones.....wait for it as I am sure there is a huge carp down there somewhere....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I will never say it isn't going to happen
So far this year only 4 caught in 8 trips and biggest at 5.8lbs. None over 24 inches yet. Last year was my banner year - I got very lucky. This year I'll fish it another half dozen times ...if I'm lucky. I have other lakes to explore and other species. To me, that is more fun than focusing on one species at one lake. But hey, I'm just a fishing nut.

I promise that if I catch another one I'll do the hole nine yards including examining stomach contents.

How is life in AZ? Still there or in CA yet?

Another Update:

Tks for the info Mr. Snap .... look forward to seeing a few more this season.

Caught something different this morning, found this critter hiding in my computer bag that was lying on the floor in the living room. Thought the Mrs bought a joke rubber critter from a shop in Oldtown Scottsdale, then it moved & I beat it with a magazine, it flew out on to the floor, just stunned it long enough to get it into a plastic container. Advised the condo owner, she said common occurrence & arranged for a Pest contractor to come out & spray.

Lots to see & do in the Phoenix area, went out to Apache Junction & down the Apache Trail towards the T-Roosevelt Dam, stunning scenery, didn’t see any rattle snakes. Going to the Barrett Jackson Auction on the weekend, should be interesting, hoping to see a 70 Z-28 & bring back a few pic’s/memories. Here till the end of the month then off to Palm Springs.

As for Phoenix fishin, just catching a bunch of small Bluegills and the same Mirror Carp, no monsters yet …. wonder if they like Scorpions ?

Cheers

D.

Happy we don't have these back home!

Tail/stinger is a bit crooked … Mrs squashed it, RIP !

Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Just tie it to a line.
It's got it's own hooks.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Be Careful

Be very careful with small/young catfish. Those fins located just behind the gills can cut your fingers up pretty good. They “flail” them back and forth like knives and if your fingers are too close you can get cut. We were fishing in Texas with a guide. He would not let us handle the catfish for that reason. He actually got cut as he mishandled one. Like your setup. BEL