Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Alberta fishing rules.

When I lived in Saskatchewan, I can bring to home 5 pikes (4 - before 63 cm and only 1 over 63). I usually catch and relies fish but anyway, when I moved to Alberta 20 years ago, I saw the rules of Alberta. Release small pike and take to home (kill) big fish. This is how I see this situation. I can kill big health and smart pike, who will reproduct new fish. And I think big fish is not very good for eating. A lot of mercury. For 20 years situation has changed. Couple example. Pigeon lake. 20-15 years ago - 3 pikes over 63. 10 years ago- 1 pike OVER 100 cm. I don’t know how old is this fish. Google answer- 15-18 years. Good for cooking? I don’t think so. Last 2-3 years : limit 0. Is somebody have answer? Second example. Isle lake. 10 years ago- 3 pikes over63. R/now-0. Third example. Wizard lake. For last 10 years I caught and released 5-6 pikes over 63. And hundreds small hungry pikes. They swallowed my lure and was very hard to remove hooks from pharynx without gill damage. Some days I saw a lot of dead injured small pikes on the surface of the Wizard lake. I think you have many same examples. I asked rangers about different rules. What province is right? I had a lot of different answers but situation for last 20 years changed not for the better. Sorry if I mistake and don’t understand something. Maybe need to release big health fish and think how many new little pikes it reproduces. And in situation when small pike dead from injured don’t throw into lake and fisherman can take to home one? P.S. I didn’t find table in the last Alberta guide to fish. regulation about restricting eating fish to children and pregnant from different rivers and lakes. Any fish is good? My family think is best fish is organic Atlantic salmon fillet from Costco.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Who has it right? I think all the SK fishing threads might be a sign
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM

I agree, took a buddy from Australia fishing 4 times in different lakes and rivers and we never did catch one we could eat.

Aren’t the big fish the best spawners?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Alberta has trout stocking lakes only. Maybe need to think about pikes, walleyes and perch too? Money for project? Couple bucks more for license. Price cup of coffee.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 PM

Yes, big fish is better for spawning, but rules of Alberta allowed to take big fish and prohibit to take small one. If I stay in camp and want to fry pike, good enough 1 small. 1-2 lb. What reason to kill 7-8 lb fish?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8486 View Post
Yes, big fish is better for spawning, but rules of Alberta allowed to take big fish and prohibit to take small one. If I stay in camp and want to fry pike, good enough 1 small. 1-2 lb. What reason to kill 7-8 lb fish?
To allow fish to get at least big enough to spawn a couple times. If you allow all small to be taken there is no chance to get big enough to spawn. More eggs in 100 first time spawners than a few bigguns.

Another factor to be considered is that Alberta has like a 300 fishable lakes, Saskatchewan has a couple thousand.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:55 PM

Agree 100 percent. My idea don’t take 3 bid fish over 63. Good enough 1 small.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Agree 100 percent. My idea don’t take 3 bid fish over 63. Good enough 1 small.
I wasn't agreeing with you. I was explaining why you were allowed to keep over 63cm. Was to allow fish to get big enough to spawn once or twice before being caught and eaten.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 PM

Default Yup

Yes Alex, my non return key hitting friend, I believe you may be on to something.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 PM

When I drive from Edmonton to Gull lake and back to home 300 km, I spend 50$ for gasoline. Reason to fish for me not to feed my family. I can buy for this money 5 lb steelhead or salmon or walleye or cod fillet in Costco without problems. My topic was about problem what I see last 20 years. A lot of lakes of Alberta reduce limit. What is mean? The amount of fish decreases. What will be fish our grandchildren?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Sorry guys, everybody has personal opinion and see situation ( problem?) differently. Maybe I am wrong and situation with fishing is not too bad and everything is OK? I spoke about Saskatchewan rules. It doesn’t mean that they are better. It’s mean only Saskatchewan way. 1. Catch and release big fish, 2. Stocking pikes, walleyes, perch. Not trout only. 3. Take to home small guys only. Alberta has absolutely different way. Who I right? Agree, Saskatchewan has more lakes and smallest population. Population of Alberta 2018-4286134, 2000-3 mln, 25 percents bigger. More fishermen. More pressing. More licenses. More money. Another, burbot. Zone PP2, for example, on February limit 0. Correct, spawning time, burbot is very aggressive and protect eggs from another fish. Easy fishing time. But some zones - February same month for fishing as another. Lac Sante lake. Very good lake and limit 10 burbot by day. Why is 10, not 2,3,5? Hungry man limit. On February too. Question, how long need to wait when population of burbot will reduced? And last one about big fish. May give birth to 13-14 years girl too, but what child will be healthy - 13 years old mother of 20-22? It is only my opinion, my proposal only. And of course, yours way may be much better than my. Alex.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 AM

Problem in Alberta is simply too few lakes and too many fishermen. That is not going to change any time soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Who has it right? I think all the SK fishing threads might be a sign
They also have a poop load of lakes, less human population too.....man I love north east saskabush for fishing

Alberta....well....too many wankers and not enough lakes.....even now that the patch dried up still a bunch of entitled jerks taking and not policing thier own actions so here we are

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Thank you for comments, guys. If you read topic about Gull lake, people informed about 1-2 pike they saw for weekend and 0 whitefish. It’s very sad. Limit is 10 whitefish but see nothing. Fishing is fun and pleasure, not harvest. Maybe need to change limit or start to change stocking program or anything else. But I see big problem with fishing situation in Alberta. Many lakes changed limit from 3 to 0. Maybe need to open new topic with proposals of fishermen. I am immigrant but right now Canada is my country too. And I’d like to see a lot off wild life after years too. Thank you. What do you think about?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Alberta has trout stocking lakes only. Maybe need to think about pikes, walleyes and perch too? Money for project? Couple bucks more for license. Price cup of coffee.
This!! ^
Totally agree! I’d love to see pike, perch and walleye stocked in Alberta. Sasky does it. Wouldn’t mind paying a bit more for it to happen
Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboLefty View Post
Problem in Alberta is simply too few lakes and too many fishermen. That is not going to change any time soon.
Bingo! If everyone in Alberta kept the smaller fish, there'd be none left...
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 PM

You’re right. Bingo!! If everybody kept three fish over 63cm there’d be a lot of fish? The topic wasn’t if everyone took the small fish, the idea is we need to leave big and healthy fish, and if you accendientaly kill the small fish, then there’d be no need to throw it back into the lake but keep it if you’re camping or something of the sort. I hope people are not hungry and don’t do it purposely as if happened by accident.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM

After reading the contents of his posts and what he posted to date, it appears our fishin buddy alex8486 is fishin out of season and loves to troll while he's fishin here as well as looking for a left handed bait casting reel on BST in January ... good luck Alex or whoever you were before you got banned.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM

I wanted him banned for crappy spelling and grammar but the mods aren't listening to me!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Mr Alex#8 .... why do I have a funny feeling reading your past few threads/posts that are at the top of this forum.

Interesting contribution to our forum & helping others.

Cheers

David