Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2019, 06:41 PM
dsoucy's Avatar
dsoucy dsoucy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 91
Default Bass pro archery service.

So i recently went to bass pro to get my first bow ( pse stinger extreme) got a good price as they were on sale. Anyways iv been told that bows are pretty specific to the user so i was prepared to get my draw length done, D loop in the right spot and peep sight lined up and so on.

Well today was a vary disappointing day, i was excited to shoot it with my archery friends and found out that not only did they not do what i was expecting but they didnt evan take the time to check out the bow to see if it was put together properly. Long story short after we align everything and getting ready to sight in my friend noticed that the cables had been put on wrong causing a cam shift so every time i shoot it the cable will come off the cam....needless to say my first experience with this bow and archery was not vary good and well the service i got there was terrible they just sell and push you out the door.

Still wondering if i should bring it back and get a fresh one just incase. Lesson learned only go there if there is a deal but never let them touch it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 3,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
So i recently went to bass pro to get my first bow ( pse stinger extreme) got a good price as they were on sale. Anyways iv been told that bows are pretty specific to the user so i was prepared to get my draw length done, D loop in the right spot and peep sight lined up and so on.

Well today was a vary disappointing day, i was excited to shoot it with my archery friends and found out that not only did they not do what i was expecting but they didnt evan take the time to check out the bow to see if it was put together properly. Long story short after we align everything and getting ready to sight in my friend noticed that the cables had been put on wrong causing a cam shift so every time i shoot it the cable will come off the cam....needless to say my first experience with this bow and archery was not vary good and well the service i got there was terrible they just sell and push you out the door.

Still wondering if i should bring it back and get a fresh one just incase. Lesson learned only go there if there is a deal but never let them touch it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
If the bow derailed on the shot, I would definitely be bringing it back and getting a full refund. Then do yourself a favor and head to Jimbows
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2019, 07:28 PM
dsoucy's Avatar
dsoucy dsoucy is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
If the bow derailed on the shot, I would definitely be bringing it back and getting a full refund. Then do yourself a favor and head to Jimbows
Ya i was thinking that. i was also sent there buy a friend. Seems like the place to go in calgary.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2019, 07:37 PM
brendan's dad's Avatar
brendan's dad brendan's dad is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton Area
Posts: 3,167
Default

Problem with a derail is that your limbs will normally be fine but it doesn't take much to bend a cam and extra pressure is put on the cables which could cause damage. And that damage to the cables might be hidden by the serving. You are actually lucky you weren't injured. A lot of pressure on a drawn bow.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2019, 07:42 PM
DiabeticKripple's Avatar
DiabeticKripple DiabeticKripple is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Blackfalds
Posts: 5,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
Ya i was thinking that. i was also sent there buy a friend. Seems like the place to go in calgary.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Jimbows is amazing.

I was there Friday just to sight in and buy some new arrows, Jim was walking by when he noticed some things with my form and my peep sight was way too low. He took some time with me and got me all setup and shooting better, free of charge.
__________________
Trudeau sits to pee
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2019, 08:41 PM
trigger7mm trigger7mm is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,566
Default Bass pro archery

I had my own fun with Bass Pro Shops today. Tried to order a jacket on line. By the time I had been transferred to about 4 different people, and had been put on hold as many times, I finally was directed to the person who was in charge of mail orders, only to find out they were on a break. Was told they would call me right back. It was 1:00 at the time, and I never heard from them again. How can you run a business like that!?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2019, 09:43 PM
BugsyTrad BugsyTrad is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Default Bass Pro Shop

Jim Bows got me my first taste of Traditional Archery this year and they were great to deal with. I thought the same good service would be extended to Bass Pro shop. I visited there with my wife some months after getting my first Trad bow and the guy in that section with the archery good didn't even as much as acknowledge us even though we were obviously showing interest in the bows. Reluctantly we visited them again some months later and we had a much better reception even thought the point guy on Trad gear wasn't at work that day the staff on duty were a lot more helpful and accommodating on my second visit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2019, 09:37 AM
bobtodrick bobtodrick is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyTrad View Post
Jim Bows got me my first taste of Traditional Archery this year and they were great to deal with. I thought the same good service would be extended to Bass Pro shop. I visited there with my wife some months after getting my first Trad bow and the guy in that section with the archery good didn't even as much as acknowledge us even though we were obviously showing interest in the bows. Reluctantly we visited them again some months later and we had a much better reception even thought the point guy on Trad gear wasn't at work that day the staff on duty were a lot more helpful and accommodating on my second visit.
Gotta ask...you say you got great service at Jimbows’s...so why not support them than the big American box store?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 AM
gramps73's Avatar
gramps73 gramps73 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,073
Default

save yourself time and money and head over to Jimbow's, the guys and gal know what they are talking about.
in my experience they want to get you the right bow for you and not about the sales aspect of it
__________________
Avatar by Gitrdun
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-31-2019, 01:38 PM
lucky_magic_stick's Avatar
lucky_magic_stick lucky_magic_stick is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary Ab.
Posts: 677
Default

I agree with everyone on here, go support jimbows. I went in there several years ago, nervous, awkward and not knowing SFA. Joey set me up with my first bow, let me try out several different bows. Was super patient and wanted to help in anyway he could.

Since then the employees went from complete strangers to all of them my friends. Almost family even, always happy to see you there. Always happy to help you out and answer any questions. Support local, screw the big box stores. No one will be getting my archery business other then jimbows. And no one will be working on my bows other then Jim bows staff.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-31-2019, 03:02 PM
normanrd's Avatar
normanrd normanrd is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: whitecourt
Posts: 1,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Gotta ask...you say you got great service at Jimbows’s...so why not support them than the big American box store?
X2! The only way to keep the real Pro Shops open is to support them.
__________________
Accurate Archery Pro-Staff
Hoyt Staff Shooter for Accurate Archery
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-31-2019, 09:03 PM
BugsyTrad BugsyTrad is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Default Bass pro shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Gotta ask...you say you got great service at Jimbows’s...so why not support them than the big American box store?
I bought my first bow n all other accessories from Jim Bows. I was at the mall and used the opportunity to browse the selection of bows available at Bass Pro. All I did was window shop there. All my archery related purchases have always been with local shops and ranges.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2020, 11:54 AM
bezzola's Avatar
bezzola bezzola is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,009
Default

Bass pro had my bow so far out of tune.
Carson at jim bows just shook his head
I will never buy another bow there
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:11 PM
tkhiebs tkhiebs is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 140
Default

Why people even bother to go to bass pro is beyond me. Jimbows and done .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2020, 06:08 PM
cody j cody j is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunset House
Posts: 538
Default

It’s well worth paying more money at a smaller store that provides good service
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.