Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM

Default Trigger Pull

Is a trigger adjustable from 14 ounce to 3 lbs adequate for target/hunting or should one get one from 4 ounce to 3 lbs. thinking of the Rifle Basix Savage Arms 110 SAV-2 or Sav-1. And is there any retailers in the Calgary area?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:45 AM

14oz on a Rifle Basix will do fine for targets unless you are doing real orcusion shooting .
They break well , I have a few of them
Cat
Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM

I would never have a hunting rifle with a trigger pull below 2.5 Lbs. I also never change trigger pull on a gun for target versus hunting as I want to KNOW for sure how the trigger behaves every time I pick up that gun. I have target guns with very light triggers but they don't go hunting.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would never have a hunting rifle with a trigger pull below 2.5 Lbs. I also never change trigger pull on a gun for target versus hunting as I want to KNOW for sure how the trigger behaves every time I pick up that gun. I have target guns with very light triggers but they don't go hunting.
My thoughts as well.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 AM

For them record I was not talking about a Hunting rifle I was talking about a target rifle .
Cat
Old 10-18-2020, 11:35 AM

I do mostly targets these days, but would up the trigger pull if going hunting.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
I do mostly targets these days, but would up the trigger pull if going hunting.
If you set your trigger at 2 lbs and keep the travel shirt and crisp with just a little over travel you will be fine gif both the range and hunting .
Cat
Old 10-18-2020, 11:52 AM

My hunting rifles are between 3.5 and 4 lbs. I like them there. I have one firearm with a 18 oz trigger, a S&W revolver in .357 (double action 6.5 lbs, 18 oz single)....I can't imagine having a trigger that light on a hunting rig. For a target rifle, sure. Keep them separate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-18-2020, 12:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Is there anyone in the Calgary area other than ATR that handles after market triggers. $45-50 shipping from the states is hard to swallow on a $100 trigger.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Contact Western Gun Parts, they may ship to you for cheap, or someone can mule it to you. On a side note if you already do not, get a trigger pull gauge. I have one made by RCBS and its nice having all of my hunting rifles set the same.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:13 PM

I have had all my rifle triggers worked on or replaced with Rifle Basix to Canjars and I feel they all have a different personality.Even at or close to same poundage they break differently.A few practice rounds and Im good to go.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Trigger pull.

I prefer a 2lb trigger on my hunting rifles. Crisp with no over travel. So much so that I rarely keep rifles that the trigger won’t adjust safely to that weight. Not saying it’s for everyone. I’ve shot my rifles thus way for quite a few years, so has my son. We never shoot with gloves, ever. I don’t own target rifles, but I can see wanting those in the oz range. I don’t recommend triggers this light unless you are very accustomed to it. 3-4lbs is probably best for most, but nothing wrong with a lighter pull if you’re used to it.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I prefer a 2lb trigger on my hunting rifles. Crisp with no over travel. So much so that I rarely keep rifles that the trigger won’t adjust safely to that weight. Not saying it’s for everyone. I’ve shot my rifles thus way for quite a few years, so has my son. We never shoot with gloves, ever. I don’t own target rifles, but I can see wanting those in the oz range. I don’t recommend triggers this light unless you are very accustomed to it. 3-4lbs is probably best for most, but nothing wrong with a lighter pull if you’re used to it.

Same. When I got my new rifle it was 3 lbs out of the box. I didn’t like it, it felt way to heavy compared to how I was always shooting (don’t know the trigger pull on the old rifle, but I know it was lighter.) I adjusted it down to 2 lbs and it feels right for me on the range and in the field.

It’s really just about what you feel comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 02:06 PM

Found a Timney at Western Gun Parts thankyou BergerBoy. Still going to shop around. Like the idea of a Basix Sav-1 or 2. And yes I agree 2lbs is adequate for my target shooting and occasional time I hunt.