Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 12:43 PM

Default Savage 110 Storm Lightweight....who has one?

I’ve been reading a bit on the Savage 110 Storm lightweight and it sounds like a pretty good rifle for the price point. At a little over 5-1/2 pounds it’s on the slim side for sure.

Anyone have one or have held one? I’ve never been a real Savage fan but every other lightweight option out there seems to come in at least 3x the price. I think one in 308 or 7mm-08 would make a great mountain rifle with the 20” barrel and at their price point a guy wouldn’t have to worry about every little mark put on it.

They must be in demand because I can’t seem to find one anywhere.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

if that chambered in 6.5 grendel i'd be all over one, even though i'm not a savage fan, the did do a 7.62x39 at some point so the bolt face and magazine guts might be available, does look like a great budget mountain or ultralight calling or general purpose rig too, i'd go this route with savage long before the carbon barrel version, just makes more sense
Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 AM

I thought it was an interesting little gun too Stinky.

They are impossible to find right now though...
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 AM

One of the guys at the club has one and loves it!
Cat
Old 10-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Banned

Funny, if these were around earlier, I might have picked one up. Instead I got a Kimber Hunter. Scoped with a lighter 3-9, lightweight rings and bases, this should come in close to my Kimber with is 6.25lbs, give or take.

Sorry, I can’t help you with who has them though.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

i can see why, likely a bang for buck value champ for a work the heck out of it will maximum neglect hard hunting rig, not totally awful to look at either, this is the model they should have started with instead of the blue/walnut

kudos they did it stainless/synthetic, they should sell piles of them and i bet they'd shoot well, a 6.5 cm, 7-08, 308...all good choices

add some talley's and a nice little 13 oz leupold scope and off into the backcountry you go
Old 10-16-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I see The Gun Dealer in NB has a 7-08 in stock and Gotenda has a 243 on sale for $750... very tempting

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i can see why, likely a bang for buck value champ for a work the heck out of it will maximum neglect hard hunting rig, not totally awful to look at either, this is the model they should have started with instead of the blue/walnut

kudos they did it stainless/synthetic, they should sell piles of them and i bet they'd shoot well, a 6.5 cm, 7-08, 308...all good choices

add some talley's and a nice little 13 oz leupold scope and off into the backcountry you go
We think alike. It could pass for an extra paddle in the boat in a pinch too...lol.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I see The Gun Dealer in NB has a 7-08 in stock and Gotenda has a 243 on sale for $750... very tempting
I’ll check them out. Thanks Teledogs!
Old 10-16-2020, 02:25 PM

I'm fortunate to own one of the older wood/blued models in 7mm-08. It's handy in the bush and a treat to carry. I would have preferred a stainless model but this one has held up well too.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:51 PM

Well, I laid a few clams down with The Gun Dealer in New Brunswick and have a new Savage 110 Storm Lightweight in .308 on its way. A 5-1/2 pounds and $944 shipped with tax in I couldn't go wrong.

I did end up talking with a member who has one and he felt they were really underrated. His is in 7mm-08 and while I wouldn’t mind another 7mm-08 the .308 was my first choice.

FYI, the Gun Dealer had one each in .243, 7mm-08 and .308. I tried every place I could in BC and Alberta and I couldn’t find one. Most shops had distributors who showed a 7mm-08 but none listed the .308 so they are rare. And none of those distributors would see new stock until late winter or the spring. Covid is really messing with their stock.

I’ll post some pics and do a review once I get it. While I have no doubt the light weight Kimbers and the Sako Carbonlight are in a different league this may be a decent option for the budget conscious buyer that is still looking for a light weight stainless rig.

Oh, and thanks Teledogs for pointing me in the right direction with the Gun Dealer. Much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Glad that worked out for you Positrac! Look forward to your review! I had one in blued walnut, 223 Rem, that I kinda regret selling, may have to look into this one a bit more.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 10-17-2020, 06:40 PM

Pretty sure my local crappy tire has one in .308. Personally, that plastic mag/ bottom "metal" is a deal breaker for me. My wife's Lady Hunter has that, I like to take my rifles out of the stock after every season for inspection. I took hers apart once, and everything is so damn cheap looking it seemed like I would be lucky to get it apart and back together more than a dozen or so times before something wore out or broke.

Just my opinion, but I hope you like yours Posi.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:46 PM

Bushleague...I’m sure they have a Savage of some sort but doubtful the same model. I had our CT do a search and none showed up in their system but who knows...

I’m not expecting Kimber quality because that just wouldn’t be reasonable. We’ll see how good it is when I put it in my hands. But the only way I was ever going to get to see one was to just order this one up, because there was just none to look at.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Bushleague...I’m sure they have a Savage of some sort but doubtful the same model. I had our CT do a search and none showed up in their system but who knows...

I’m not expecting Kimber quality because that just wouldn’t be reasonable. We’ll see how good it is when I put it in my hands. But the only way I was ever going to get to see one was to just order this one up, because there was just none to look at.
Its possible I'm mistaken, but they've got a 20" bbl SS Savage there... I assumed it was the model you speak of, but only looked close enough to see the plastic Axis mag system. I was interested in the model, but that mag system is something I am not a fan of. Might possibly have been something else I guess.

I think yours will be fine, my advice would be not to dissassemble it unless you have a good reason. Being stainless you really shouldnt need to.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:

It's a Savage, so it will shoot. Of that, I have no doubt. Though some aren't fond of the accutrigger, I like em just fine. Congrats.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks sns2.

I have a VXii 3-9 Ultralight Leupold at 9oz going on it in Talley light weights. All done it should be around 6-1/2 pounds scoped.

It won't be my nicest or most expensive rifle but it will be the lightest by far. As for shooting it will more than likely be better than me...
Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 PM

Please post your review!

I have been looking at a Kimber Hunter but this rifle caught my eye. I want to dislike it but I can’t! It seems like a good option for backpack use, mountain hunting and rough handling. The previous mod 16 LWH had a very flimsy stock and I am keen to compare the new Accufit stock. I shot an early model blue/walnut LWH .308 and it was good.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Pretty sure my local crappy tire has one in .308. Personally, that plastic mag/ bottom "metal" is a deal breaker for me. My wife's Lady Hunter has that, I like to take my rifles out of the stock after every season for inspection. I took hers apart once, and everything is so damn cheap looking it seemed like I would be lucky to get it apart and back together more than a dozen or so times before something wore out or broke.

Just my opinion, but I hope you like yours Posi.
Just what are you inspecting taking rifles apart after every season? I have had rifles for 25 years, never felt the urge to take them apart...?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Please post your review!

I have been looking at a Kimber Hunter but this rifle caught my eye. I want to dislike it but I can’t! It seems like a good option for backpack use, mountain hunting and rough handling. The previous mod 16 LWH had a very flimsy stock and I am keen to compare the new Accufit stock. I shot an early model blue/walnut LWH .308 and it was good.
I know what you mean about not wanting to like it. I’m the same. I’ll post up a review once I get it all set up. If I don’t like it then this relationship will be short lived.

As for the stock it is new in design but it is not the Accufit stock on the 110 Storm lightweight. It can be adjusted for lop by adding/removing but plate shims but it doesn’t have the adjustable cheek piece. I’ve been led to believe it is not as cheaply made as earlier models. The mag is also of a new design and is supposed to work better.

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Just what are you inspecting taking rifles apart after every season? I have had rifles for 25 years, never felt the urge to take them apart...?
Moisture and protecting the metal from rust after being out. Bringing cold items into a warm home will have condensation anywhere that air can get to.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean about not wanting to like it. I’m the same. I’ll post up a review once I get it all set up. If I don’t like it then this relationship will be short lived.

As for the stock it is new in design but it is not the Accufit stock on the 110 Storm lightweight. It can be adjusted for lop by adding/removing but plate shims but it doesn’t have the adjustable cheek piece. I’ve been led to believe it is not as cheaply made as earlier models. The mag is also of a new design and is supposed to work better.

[/QUOTE]

I look forward to it. In the mean time I want to get my hands on one to get an in-person perspective. I am aching for a Montana, but its not in the budget...
Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM

I look forward to it. In the mean time I want to get my hands on one to get an in-person perspective. I am aching for a Montana, but its not in the budget...[/QUOTE]

That will be hard to do. I searched high and low with every company I could think of and the only two places that had one were in Ontario and NewBrunswick. Most the distributors of those companies said end of winter into spring before they would see them from what was passed back in to me.

I don’t think it’s because they are the new hot item or anything like that. I just think Covid shut down a lot of production and the market south of the boarder gets filled first.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned

you're building rifle i would have when i built the tikka back in the day, this little sucker just didn't exist back then, i went .270 as with tikka you're buying full length action anyway, for this savage i'd likely have gone for the 7-08 or maybe even the .243, but we all know i'm not a .30 cal fan, haven't like one yet, that 308 is going to move you around a little lol, just did a recoil energy calc. for say hornady 168 gr eldm at 2600 fps (-25 fps per inch from 24" rating) and guessing about 43 gr of powder in it should hit you with about 19.5 ft/lbs in that 6.5 lb package, still a little less than my lightweight .270, but definitely not going to be a good one as an introductory rig

now of course i'd imagine that in the 6.5 G with the 123 eldm (basically same bc/sd as the 168 308 and it would go 2480 fps with about 29.6 gr of powder, recoil energy would be a smile inducing 9.2 ft/lbs in that sweet little rig

i'll keep an eye on savage as if they start chambering the Grendel anywhere and one can grab the bolt head and magazine guts...that'd be the rifle to order up a barrel for and do a swap, because i'm a Grendel Hoe
Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 PM

https://store.prophetriver.com/ruger...rel-mfg-36926/

6.5 Granny in ruger american ranch with AR mags
Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
https://store.prophetriver.com/ruger...rel-mfg-36926/

6.5 Granny in ruger american ranch with AR mags
i have one, drug it up a mountain and killed a ewe with it in september, they shoot good, it wears a fixed 6x with cds-zl turret, shot my usual 1/2 moa then 1 moa 3 shot groups out to 500 yards like i do with most accurate rifles, lovely thing is they need zero outside work of any kind, great bedding(dual alum/v-blocks), easily adjustable good trigger

no one making a grendel in stainless though, that would be nice to see one day
Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Moisture and protecting the metal from rust after being out. Bringing cold items into a warm home will have condensation anywhere that air can get to.
Exactly, just got back from a week long canoe hunt. My rifle was subjected to all kinds of moisture and quite a lot of sand and other crap, I will be pulling it out of the stock to have for a inspection and cleaning ASAP... and probably again at the end of the season.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Exactly, just got back from a week long canoe hunt. My rifle was subjected to all kinds of moisture and quite a lot of sand and other crap, I will be pulling it out of the stock to have for a inspection and cleaning ASAP... and probably again at the end of the season.
I used to do this, and still would after a canoe hunt, but I don't do it on a regular basis anymore. Maybe for a walnut stocked rifle that got drenched.

If bringing a cold rifle into a warm house, keep it in its case until the whole works gets to ambient, then you wont have any condensation issues. Camera guys have known this for a long time.

I have a friend who has 1 hunting rifle and hunts hard every fall, all season long. It's a blued rifle and not taken care of overly well, lots of evidence of surface rust and some pitting. He said he had never taken it out of its stock, ever. I assumed it would be a rusty mess underneath so we took it apart out of curiosity. Zero rust, none at all. I guess the factory grease does its job if left undisturbed.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I used to do this, and still would after a canoe hunt, but I don't do it on a regular basis anymore. Maybe for a walnut stocked rifle that got drenched.

If bringing a cold rifle into a warm house, keep it in its case until the whole works gets to ambient, then you wont have any condensation issues. Camera guys have known this for a long time.

I have a friend who has 1 hunting rifle and hunts hard every fall, all season long. It's a blued rifle and not taken care of overly well, lots of evidence of surface rust and some pitting. He said he had never taken it out of its stock, ever. I assumed it would be a rusty mess underneath so we took it apart out of curiosity. Zero rust, none at all. I guess the factory grease does its job if left undisturbed.
The worst, and quickest, I've ever seen a rifle rust was one that was left in its case after coming out of extreme cold. But I'm not here to debate things, you do things your way, and I'll do them mine. And I will continue to purchase my rifles accordingly. A rifle that has fasteners and other parts that are so cheap that they will doubtfully survive regular disassembly for very long should be avoided regardless IMO, especially when it costs anywhere in the neighborhood of 1K.

YMMV

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-23-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:42 PM

Well, the rifle arrived while I was off on my hunt down south so with getting back yesterday I was able to have a good look at it today.

First impressions....I’m not sure what I think of it just yet. It is the lowest cost rifle I’ve ever bought so I went into it knowing that it won’t compare to something like a Sako Grey Wolf for fit and finish. Having said that it doest feel overly cheap even though in reality it is, especially for something that weighs 5-1/2 pounds. Anything in that weight range usually start at least twice as expensive and go up from there.

The Savage 110 Storm Lightweight is very light, and that was the #1 reason I bought it. With the 20” barrel it is a very handy little rifle. The stock is plastic but there is very little fore end flex and no more than any Browning or Tikka I’ve owned. The barrel is definitely free-floated and they could have closed up that gap a bit in my mind. The removable mag seems to work well and I don’t think there is much chance it will fall out once installed. I really like the tang safety as it’s one of the reasons I’ve liked Brownings over other makes of rifles before. Again, that’s just my preference and others may not like the tang safety so that would be a deterrent.

I have a set of Talley light-weights on the way. As well, the Leupold VX-2 Ultralight compact 3-9x36 scope I’m putting on it is being sent out to have a CDS zero-stop turret installed. Once back I’ll install them and update the pics.

As for taking the rifle apart, I don’t see any reason why it can’t be taken apart for cleaning for years to come without issue. The stock and trigger guard are plastic but there are no plastic clips that need to be undone, just regular screws.

If someone is looking at buying one and have any questions on it just ask away and I’ll try to give an unbiased answer. For the money it looks pretty good.