Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally rong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definwitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge. I never have. In my younger days when I hunted with a lot of partners and did some guiding I have seen game hit and lost with 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H, 45-70 as well as 243, 30-06, 270 and a few other cartridges. Since the game wasn't recovered I have no way of saying that a bigger gun or heavier bullet would have sealed the deal. I have also examined the wounds on game we had to track quite a ways but recovered. I am not convinced a bigger gun would have shortened the tracking job.

There is a reason I hunt with the same 3 guys for the past many years. They can all shoot, they all know what makes a killing shot and they are careful in the shots they take. We have only had to track two animals more than a 100 yards in the past 20 years. Guys that can't shoot need to practice on gophers and paper, a bigger gun isn't going to make them a better shot or more likely to kill what they shoot at. Shots don't usually go marginally wrong, they are either on or a long ways off. I saw lots of guys completely miss game at 50 to 150 yards.
QUOTE=Dean2;4247229]I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally rong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definwitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge.

No. I can't say that I have but I have seen larger cal, heavier bullets that were badly misplaced that resulted in a DRT. Don't ask me why. Maybe thats the reason that you heard it a lot.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
QUOTE=Dean2;4247229]I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally rong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definwitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge.

No. I can't say that I have but I have seen larger cal, heavier bullets that were badly misplaced that resulted in a DRT. Don't ask me why. Maybe thats the reason that you heard it a lot.
In my younger days I shot a 338-378 with 250 interlocks and can say I made some bad shots that absolutely floored some critters that a smaller gun most definitely would have not. Now I shoot much smaller and aim better.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:32 PM

I have stressed both bullets about as much as you would like to stress them and I’ve used the TSX at its expansion envelope quit successfully. How many people are we trying to get on the head of this pin exactly?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have stressed both bullets about as much as you would like to stress them and I’ve used the TSX at its expansion envelope quit successfully. How many people are we trying to get on the head of this pin exactly?

Always room for one more
Old 10-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
In my younger days I shot a 338-378 with 250 interlocks and can say I made some bad shots that absolutely floored some critters that a smaller gun most definitely would have not. Now I shoot much smaller and aim better.
To be fair, I have always liked big boomers. For years my small guns were a 257 Bee and a 7 Rem Mag, but I hunted with 338, 375 Mag, 45-70 and even a 460 Bee. I have predominantly hunted with a 308 the last number of years because I love the 6 LB all in gun with scope, weight and balance of the NULA. Even though I am not recoil shy a 6 LB 338 is just a bad idea. The biggest difference to a lot of shooters is, I could clover leaf 3 shots with all of them. Most guys trying to shoot big boomers can't and end up making a lot more bad shots than good ones because they are afraid of the gun. I do not have any more trouble killing stuff with the 308 than I did with the 338, if it really made any difference I would just pack the heavier gun.

I still say use a gun you shoot well, practice lots and use quality bullets like the TSX or Accubond, Partition, Hornady Interbonds and focus on putting them in the right place. Do not rely on horsepower or the bullet to make up for lousy shooting. No one will ever convince me that a bigger gun makes up for poor shot placement so this is my last comment on that aspect of this thread.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=Ridger;4237049]Interested in developing a load for Tikka T3 30.06 and going through the bullet options.

Think I've narrowed it down to an Accubond or TTSX.

I know the differences in structure from the two, and would likely go with a 165 in Accubond, and either 168 or even 150 in TTSX to grab the extra speed.

Anyone have preference of one or another in that caliber?

Thanks

I am reloading for 3 Sako's in 30-06 Barnes TTSX 150 gr for all.
Hornady SST for plinking Barnes TTSX for hunting.
I am shooting TTSX 180 gr in 300 Win Mag and 225gr in .338 Win Mag.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-13-2020, 04:39 PM

I still say use a gun you shoot well, practice lots and use quality bullets like the TSX or Accubond, Partition, Hornady Interbonds and focus on putting them in the right place. Do not rely on horsepower or the bullet to make up for lousy shooting. No one will ever convince me that a bigger gun makes up for poor shot placement so this is my last comment on that aspect of this thread

Who can disagree with that statement ?!

While nobody advocates P Poor shooting or shot placement, there are not too many who will use a smaller, less efficient cartridge or caliber if they are capable of shooting a larger one on Big Game at the same level of proficiency . Choose your quarry then select a proper cartrige/caliber and bullet to do the job efficiently. It doesn't matter how great a marksman one may be, or think they may be, things can, and do, go wrong with any shot. A larger caliber with the right bullet is much more forgiving than a smaller one under any circumstance that could result in less than stellar shot placement.Thats all that was ever implied on this thread I think there are a lot of hunters who could use that advantage to their favor. Exclude yourself if you wish.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 PM

So here is a crazy thought. A bull elephant weighs approx 10,000 lbs and a 500 -900 gr bullet is used so what is needed for deer - elk ? Killed truck loads of coyotes with 25 gr bullets . Things that make you go hmmm
Old 10-13-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
So here is a crazy thought. A bull elephant weighs approx 10,000 lbs and a 500 -900 gr bullet is used so what is needed for deer - elk ? Killed truck loads of coyotes with 25 gr bullets . Things that make you go hmmm
So when you hunted bull elephant, did the 500gr or 900gr bullet work better?
Old 10-13-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Oh why’d ya have to go and get all logical on us................

That’ll never do, the newest and greatest whiz bang up and comer cartridge won’t ever sell if you keep at this logic thing. Heads will explode, dreams will be crushed, and children will cry..... shame on you

Next thing your gonna say is you only need a 100gr .257” pill to kill a deer.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I still say use a gun you shoot well, practice lots and use quality bullets like the TSX or Accubond, Partition, Hornady Interbonds and focus on putting them in the right place. Do not rely on horsepower or the bullet to make up for lousy shooting. No one will ever convince me that a bigger gun makes up for poor shot placement so this is my last comment on that aspect of this thread

Who can disagree with that statement ?!

While nobody advocates P Poor shooting or shot placement, there are not too many who will use a smaller, less efficient cartridge or caliber if they are capable of shooting a larger one on Big Game at the same level of proficiency . Choose your quarry then select a proper cartrige/caliber and bullet to do the job efficiently. It doesn't matter how great a marksman one may be, or think they may be, things can, and do, go wrong with any shot. A larger caliber with the right bullet is much more forgiving than a smaller one under any circumstance that could result in less than stellar shot placement.Thats all that was ever implied on this thread I think there are a lot of hunters who could use that advantage to their favor. Exclude yourself if you wish.
I agree
I had my 6.5x284 with me in the yukon and i had grizzly and moose on the menu for that hunt
While I felt that the Aframes I had loaded were going to be more than sufficent when I was preparing for the trip. When a grizzly that we under sized started to get curious and head our way at close range. I was really wishing I had my 338 lol.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 PM

Default I won't mention

Karamogo Bell and his 6.5 MS or 7x57 then.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:46 PM

And how do you kill elephants? Penetration. And what bullets do you use? Solids. And Barnes bullets won’t kill anything because they don’t come apart? Oh my.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-13-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
And how do you kill elephants? Penetration. And what bullets do you use? Solids. And Barnes bullets won’t kill anything because they don’t come apart? Oh my.
Bullet placement
Old 10-13-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Nobody mentioned anything about bullets coming apart. It was about the best bullet and caliber size for the job intended. There is only one Keramojo AFIK and I don't think it's you .. if thats what you're getting at.

Oh my is right !
Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Laughing.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:45 AM

So last night I put two 180gr scirocco through a young bull elk at 150m and although it got the job done, I still wonder if switching to something like the 150gr ttsx might transfer some more of the energy. Some people talk about those magic bullets with great penetration but also high energy transfer.
Just some recent feedback.
End of the day I put the bullet right where it needed to go and recovered meat for my freezer so no complaints
Old 10-17-2020, 02:14 PM

Out of what gun? 30-06, 300wsm, etc
Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM

30-06
Leaving the barrel about 2740 fps so it could be going faster if I loaded it to.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM

I would absolutely load 150 ttsx in that instead and load them as fast as possible. Could even play with 130.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:56 PM

I’ve been using TTSX and have HD pass through on all four elk to 400 yards. 168 grn out of the 06. I have yet to have a ton of destruction inside or on the exit. I think that they take a fair bit of energy with them. That said they did the job. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 10-17-2020, 04:30 PM

I have read that the 168gr ttsx is designed for 30-06 velocities (maybe should have checked that it wasn’t already stated above). But first hand accounts all seem to reiterate what others here are stating here - use 150 and 130 gr ttsx for 30-06.

I think I will try some 150gr as I have a few on hand
Old 11-03-2020, 07:39 AM

My son shot a mulie buck out of a 7 Rem Mag at 180 yards with a 150 gr TTSX on Sunday. Pencil hole in and small exit wound. I have never seen a more dramatic kill. That buck literally went azz over tea kettle, with front feet flying in the air. Sprayed blood all over the field. Opened that deer up and there was massive internal damage. Poured the liquified lungs out into the ground. For any of you doubters... give em a try. I bet you will be similarly impressed.

PS: I like Accubonds just as much. Two great hunting bullets. You CANNOT go wrong with either.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Cup and core still work fine I am trying the eldx in my 6.5prc this year. But the monometals do offer another option , one that I prefer with the high velocity cartridges.
apparently a recovered 6.5 100 gr ttsx is an elusive beast, they'd sure boogie out of a prc
Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son shot a mulie buck out of a 7 Rem Mag at 180 yards with a 150 gr TTSX on Sunday. Pencil hole in and small exit wound. I have never seen a more dramatic kill. That buck literally went azz over tea kettle, with front feet flying in the air. Sprayed blood all over the field. Opened that deer up and there was massive internal damage. Poured the liquified lungs out into the ground. For any of you doubters... give em a try. I bet you will be similarly impressed.

PS: I like Accubonds just as much. Two great hunting bullets. You CANNOT go wrong with either.
That deer collapsed and was dead when it hit the ground, lungs wiped out, yet no meat damage . And that has been the typical result that I have seen using the TTSX.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
With the Barnes offerings you can reduce bullet weight up to 25% and get similar performance as a lead core bullet.
So with that in mind, look at a 130grain TSX or TTSX, vs. a 165Gr. Accubond.

Speed is king with the Barnes bullets, if your impact velocities get lower than 2000 FPS expect poor expansion.

Being it’s a 30/06 And your impact velocities will never exceed much over 2800 FPS, you’re better off with a lead core bullet anyways.
This^^^^^
Remember that monometal bullets are longer than lead core bullets of the same weight. If you seat tsx or ttsx bullets to the same COAL as lead core, you will reduce case capacity and may need to reduce powder charge accordingly. A monometal bullet generally punches over it's weight class so going 10 to 25 grains lighter won't affect terminal performance but will enhance velocity and trajectory.
Likewise a lighter ttsx will be shorter too.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
apparently a recovered 6.5 100 gr ttsx is an elusive beast, they'd sure boogie out of a prc
But think about the recoil?
Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son shot a mulie buck out of a 7 Rem Mag at 180 yards with a 150 gr TTSX on Sunday. Pencil hole in and small exit wound. I have never seen a more dramatic kill.

For any of you doubters... give em a try. I bet you will be similarly impressed.

How fast do you figure that bullet is moving at the muzzle?
Old 11-03-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
How fast do you figure that bullet is moving at the muzzle?
Around 3100fps at muzzle. It's a handload using R25
Old 11-03-2020, 02:31 PM

Thanks
I still haven’t loaded up some ttsx for my 30-06 but there is a partial box of 150gr sitting on my bench.
25 inch barrel should help keep some velocity up. Not to 3100 fps but still decent velocity for a wide range