Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 09:32 PM

I always like when 5 month old threads get boosted back up....with back to back first posts by guys who just joined. I like it when they engage like that......

Oh yeah. Scopes. I like my Leupold, and Kahles, and Leica, and my old Bausch & Lomb, and old Bushnell Elites.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-06-2020, 09:58 PM

In the late 90's I bought a used Leupold VXiii for my used Browning A Bolt. Hunted 17 seasons with it. Any misses (and there were some) were not the fault of the scope. About six years ago, I gave the setup to my nephew a d he still hunts with it, usually tagging out.

I have a leupold VXi on a 742 Woodsmaster that I haven't used often, but have seen same nephew drop a whitetail buck at full run. Very good experience with leupold but cant speak to the warranty as I never had one break.

I have a zeiss victory on my main setup now which is excellent but does not answer the OP best value for price question as it was more than I should have spent.

I find that the Cabellas Euro"something" (Meopta) is a good value for price scope. I have one on my daughter's 308. It has been thorough some rough wet hunts without a problem.

I had a Russian VMOZ straight 4x33 on a 223 for rabbits and found it a good value for $ and the quirky parabolic reticle became intuitive after a while.

I have a few other scopes but have not shot them and cannot comment on them.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:20 PM

Default Another vote for Leupold

I had a Nikon Monarch go bad on me this summer. And it was only on a 17Rem. And for the price I paid for it, I could have gotten a good Leupold that would more than likely still be working today. Oh well, now to try and see what their warranty’s like.

But I’ve got 3 Leupolds in my stable, a couple for 20+ years and nary a problem with them. 2 have been shot over 1000 rounds each. The 3rd one on a 338magnum with some major recoil.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:40 AM

Elkhunter11 just gave my son a gift, a new Leupold VX Freedom 4-12x40. In talking with the guy at P&D, he said the Leupold rep confirmed they are at least the equivalent of VX2 glass with newer coatings. For the price, I'd say that's pretty excellent value.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I had a Nikon Monarch go bad on me this summer. And it was only on a 17Rem. And for the price I paid for it, I could have gotten a good Leupold that would more than likely still be working today. Oh well, now to try and see what their warranty’s like.
Better read post number 58, as you aren’t gonna be happy with the no warranty anymore on Nikon scopes.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:

But I’ve got 3 Leupolds in my stable, a couple for 20+ years and nary a problem with them. 2 have been shot over 1000 rounds each. The 3rd one on a 338magnum with some major recoil.
Please reply back with your warranty experience. Interested to hear what happens?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:

I have owned many brands of scope including many Nikons, not ever did I have one that needed warranty service
Old 10-08-2020, 06:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Better read post number 58, as you aren’t gonna be happy with the no warranty anymore on Nikon scopes.
If you have a Nikon scope that was purchased before the warranty change, and can prove that it was purchased before the warranty change (if needed), then the answer is yes, your scope basically has a lifetime warranty under the original Nikon No Fault warranty program....

All Nikon Riflescopes purchased new from an authorized Nikon Canada reseller include a lifetime limited warranty on the optical components, a seven-year limited warranty on the non-optical components and a one-year limited warranty on electronic components from the date of purchase....

https://riflescope-review.com/do-nik...time-warranty/

Still got warranty just not to the degree they use to have.....sad as they make a great product.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I usually consider weight when choosing a scope

Nightforce are basically an impact weapon when it comes to weight as are the Vortex Razors

I have Leupold on everything.

Id like to try a Steiner someday tho. I know how good their binocs are.
Nightforce is ideal for the people that use the scope objective as a carry handle for their rifle. I just watched a clown on one of the long distance shooting shows on Wild TV do that after shooting at an elk four times, and only hitting it once.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If you have a Nikon scope that was purchased before the warranty change, and can prove that it was purchased before the warranty change (if needed), then the answer is yes, your scope basically has a lifetime warranty under the original Nikon No Fault warranty program....

All Nikon Riflescopes purchased new from an authorized Nikon Canada reseller include a lifetime limited warranty on the optical components, a seven-year limited warranty on the non-optical components and a one-year limited warranty on electronic components from the date of purchase....

https://riflescope-review.com/do-nik...time-warranty/

Still got warranty just not to the degree they use to have.....sad as they make a great product.

What you will find when you try to use that warranty is, 1- you MUST have the receipt, 2_ they will not fix or replace your scope. The best you will get is an offer of a discount on a current product. I think this is both illegal and unethical. I am surprised no one in the States has filed a class action lawsuit against Nikon for it. I won't buy any kind of Nikon products because of their dishonourable behaviour and I used to be a big Nikon fan. I even sold off every Nikon product I used to own.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Nightforce is ideal for the people that use the scope objective as a carry handle for their rifle. I just watched a clown on one of the long distance shooting shows on Wild TV do that after shooting at an elk four times, and only hitting it once.
Yeah, i'm using nightforce everytime im going to hunt with my dad, its perfect
Old 10-14-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Scopes

Not sure but how are the rigatoni’s scopes,I’ve seen lots of the riots displays on FB just curious how they would rate,close to the bushnel,vortex,Leupold or the top three ziess,Leica and Swarovski,I’m guessing closer to the bushnel,vortex,Nikon group
Old 10-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Scooe

Sorry for the spelling error,the above scope is Riton optics
Old 10-16-2020, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
Not sure but how are the rigatoni’s scopes,I’ve seen lots of the riots displays on FB just curious how they would rate,close to the bushnel,vortex,Leupold or the top three ziess,Leica and Swarovski,I’m guessing closer to the bushnel,vortex,Nikon group
I don't really recognize the rigatoni being good. How many times I have been going hunting ducks with my friends - all my rigatonies were breaking from a slightly touch of a tree or a slightly drop.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:49 AM

I know that I am a little bit late to the party here but i put a Vortex Diamondback on one of my coyote rigs and i am in love with it for the money i spent on it. It is very clear for the price and it has taken some abuse going in and out of the truck and not lost zero yet at all.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Purpose

I would ask what is the purpose of the scope or what type of shooting do you do? That will help answer the question.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Athlon or Mavin. Mavin are factory direct with no middle man.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I know that I am a little bit late to the party here but i put a Vortex Diamondback on one of my coyote rigs and i am in love with it for the money i spent on it. It is very clear for the price and it has taken some abuse going in and out of the truck and not lost zero yet at all.
Vortex diamondback is really breaking alot
Old 10-19-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsizexx View Post
I don't really recognize the vortex diamondback being good. How many times I have been going hunting ducks with my friends - all my vortex diamondbacks were breaking from a slightly touch of a tree or a slightly drop. Thought I really wanted a high quality scope that will not break that easily. I was looking around and came across a guy selling rifle scopes and he suggested me ATN X-Sight 4K BuckHunter 5-20x for a nice price and also has nightvision. How many times I've dropped this one and its still alive. Well, guess gotta stick to this one lol.
We don't hunt ducks with rifles around here nor do we use nightvision as it's illegal.
But go ahead and take the Nightforce off that you use when hunting with your dad and put on one of those cheap Chinese things - or whatever else it is you are promoting.

Cat

Last edited by admin; 10-19-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: removed spam link
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Yeah, i'm using nightforce everytime im going to hunt with my dad, its perfect
Quote:
I don't really recognize the rigatoni being good. How many times I have been going hunting ducks with my friends - all my rigatonies were breaking from a slightly touch of a tree or a slightly drop.
Quote:
Vortex diamondback is really breaking alot
Quote:
I don't really recognize the vortex diamondback being good. How many times I have been going hunting ducks with my friends - all my vortex diamondbacks were breaking from a slightly touch of a tree or a slightly drop. Thought I really wanted a high quality scope that will not break that easily. I was looking around and came across a guy selling rifle scopes and he suggested me ATN X-Sight 4K BuckHunter 5-20x for a nice price and also has nightvision. How many times I've dropped this one and its still alive. Well, guess gotta stick to this one lol.
Schill? Translater of English working not well in branches and twigs night hunting Ducks with rifles, recognize that?

Last edited by admin; 10-19-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: removed spam link