Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM

and yet you still get whooped 5 zip by a team of youngsters and has beens...hahaha j/k...i am glad to hear that all the signings have worked out.....but who will be gone in the off season....huseilius(sp), lombardi, sarich, aucoin??.....conroy..again....
Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Sure.. in today’s age of a Salary cap we all know that there will be a few players gone each year.

BUT what a foundation Calgary has now! Great on Calgary for figuring out away to keep these guys. Also great on the guys for taking a home town discount. It shows some serious class and a commitment to this great city.

Edmonton’s fortunes are looking up. New owner.. Get rid of the rift raft. You guys could be looking good in a year or 2.

I am really looking forward to Saturday night. Some pay back is in order.

Jamie
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM

yup the future is looking good for both teams...saturday will be a full on BOA tilt just like the old days!! can't wait. i am hoping the oilers can reproduce the intensity they showed last BOA...but i have my doubts....
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Calgary needs Edmonton to be competitive with us. It adds a massive flavour to the season. Sometimes that flavor tastes like gold.. At other times it tastes like used oats.

I love the rivalry!
I love the hate!
I love it all!

Jamie
Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 PM

Edmonton will probably have the same fire they've had in the past few games, but Calgary has wounded ego's..... so it will be a good game.

Did anyone see Stortini fight last night??? He actually threw some punches!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 PM

ya huggybear actually threw some...it was a good fight.

i was bashing him on the oilers site for hugging too much...maybe he reads the threads there?? haha j/k

ya the oilers will be out to score first and fast. but i am sure dion will be huting as many down as he can. i sure wish they would play cujo again hahaha.....
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm sure Keenan has already lost all confidence in Cujo and I'll wager that Stortini and Phaneuf will probably have a go..... if Moreau doesn't try first.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM

well if sir hugs a lot can get dion off the ice for at least 5 mins i will be happy about that!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Default jamie

"girls from the north" said it before and say it again, jamie jeez i play with chicks in mens leauge that would dangle, toe drag and generally run your show ya bender. that said the oilers aren't great but shouldn't the flames show up big on saturday...the smaller oilers really outmatched them physically and ran them out of the rink, sad when the team is bigger and tougher and usually prides it's self on it's physicallity.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

All I can say is this Saturday is Hockey Day in Canada, the Battle of Alberta and I'll be there cheering the Flames on. Should be a good one.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 PM

I will say Oilers will win 4-3 by way of shoot out.

Any other guesses on Saturdays final score?

should be an awesome game if Calgary shows up. Hopfully Kippers in net so we can give him the same treatment the Cujo got wwweeeee

GO OILERS GO
Old 02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

There.. This is more like it.

As for you bunch of sheep chasing, illiterate, Moma's boys from the frozen tundra.. Just watch out for Saturday night. You guys are about to have your azzes handed to you and sent packing on the nearest school bus back up to that pit toilet you call home.
BTW.. what do they call that sewer canal that sludges its way through Edmonton?

3-1 Flames.. The game will not be as close as the score indicates.

Good to see some rivalry back here on the board. I know its not for the season, but one game will do for now.

CAPTAIN CALGARY
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
There.. This is more like it.

BTW.. what do they call that sewer canal that sludges its way through Edmonton?

CAPTAIN CALGARY

"Calgary Trial"

By the way the score tonight will 3-1 for the Blackhawks
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

Glad to see Kaetz as the new owner. Maybe we'll be 'buyers' instead of 'sellers' for a change.

Glad to see that the future of BOTH Alberta teams is looking very bright and secure. Congrats Flames on keeping Phaneuf I'm a fan of him 'cause he personally did a great thing for my wife and son.

However..................for the Flames at this point to not be able to thump the Oilers by at least 3, is simply an embarassment. Come on! Right now, our best foreward is an 18 year old that weighs 150lbs and can't shave yet!

Should be a great game!

Tree
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
"Calgary Trial"

Now that was quick... You must not be from Edmonton

Jamie
Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
"Calgary Trial"

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA man the Flames made the 'Hawks look like all-stars tonite. Out muscled, out hit and of course out scored.....

Good thing you tied up all those core players at that home town discount. Kipper is in the twilight of his career and you have no replacement in sight sad really....GAWD I love it when your team poops the bed
Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Well at least they have a bed to Poop!

Calgary = Consistently inconsistent!

Jamie
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM

Freakin' Flames!

I'm an Oil boy, but I sure as hell miss the red mile. What is wrong with this team? I'd put the 'C' on a different jersey if it was me. Iggy is NOT a captain yet. IMHO. I played.

Tree
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned

IGGY is not a Captain...

HUH?

Did you fall out of a tree today? Honestly tell us just how hard you hit your head on that 40' fall.

What else would you like from the guy? Well respected in the dressing room, does it on the ice, sticks up for himself, sticks up for others, involved off the ice, doesn't say stupid things in the newspaper, willing to go through walls.

I have said it before.. Iggy will someday be ranked up with Messier. Not yet.. Thats a pretty tall mountain.. but some day.

TREE.. you must start trimming bushes.. it will be better for your health.

Jamie
BTW.. I am interested in knowing what Dion helped you guys out with.. Please pm if its to private for the board.. And if its to private for a PM just tell me to go climb a tree...
Old 02-08-2008, 02:19 AM

Default Hah

Dion helped me in my hockey pool, i'm indebted to him, and kipper well is wish he could get me more points!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:

That is one correct so far on my predictions and like I said in a previous post the Oilers will win 4-3 on saturday.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
IGGY is not a Captain...

HUH?

Did you fall out of a tree today? Honestly tell us just how hard you hit your head on that 40' fall.

What else would you like from the guy? Well respected in the dressing room, does it on the ice, sticks up for himself, sticks up for others, involved off the ice, doesn't say stupid things in the newspaper, willing to go through walls.

I have said it before.. Iggy will someday be ranked up with Messier. Not yet.. Thats a pretty tall mountain.. but some day.

TREE.. you must start trimming bushes.. it will be better for your health.

Jamie
BTW.. I am interested in knowing what Dion helped you guys out with.. Please pm if its to private for the board.. And if its to private for a PM just tell me to go climb a tree...
I'm an Oil fan... but I have to agree. He does everything a Captain should. Every player goes through slumps. The Oilers lost games under Gretzky, the Rangers lost games under Messier and the Devils lost games under Stevens..... can't blame the teams poor play on just one person.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 AM

Here's my main beef...for the last 3-4 years, all the "experts" picked the Flamers as one of the top teams in the West and Stanley Cup contenders. Not since '89 has this team been a "contender". Talk all you want about the Cup finals a couple of years ago, but they weren't a top team when they did it, they just gelled at the right time, just like the Oilers run. When will the experts (and fans) realize that they are not a top-tier team. At least I've come to that realization about my Oilers and can accept the fact that they're not a great team....YET!!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
IGGY is not a Captain...

HUH?

Nope! No premature ejections today!

It's hard to describe I guess. Look, the guy is a true superstar and probably the best all-around hockey player on the planet. I agree with all that, but here's my probablem. I absolutly HATE the fact that the 'C' is usually put on the best player on the team. It shouldn't be. The 'C' should be worn by your LEADER on and OFF the ice. Iggy is an even better person than he is an athelete, but can you see him really giving the gears to a Conroy or a Kipper for having a bad game? I can't. He's still one of the guys which is fine if you're wearing the 'A' not the 'C'.

Look at the Oil for instance. Is Moreau their best player? Not a chance. Is he a true leader that can inspire his team through both his words and his actions? Yep. He is what a team captian is all about.

Can Iggy ever reach the level of a Messier? Perhaps, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Personally, when I look at the Flames, I think that their best leader is probably Owen Nolan. I think with him as captain, you would likely see their brutally inconsistant ways start to turn around.

Just my $0.02.

Tree
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Freakin' Flames!

I'm an Oil boy, but I sure as hell miss the red mile. What is wrong with this team? I'd put the 'C' on a different jersey if it was me. Iggy is NOT a captain yet. IMHO. I played.

Tree

Tree ya know i love ya BUTTTT this is the dumbest statement i have ever heard.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM

tree..i hear what you are saying...but i have to disagree...based on the fact that for the flames he is the leader...he may not give the gears to conny or kipper...but who on the team would? who on the flames can change the momentum of a game or control the ice like iggy. i don't think there is a better option for a C on the flames...maybe nolan because of his experience....maybe conny....but i think iggy leads the way through example more than those two..
Old 02-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Tree ya know i love ya BUTTTT this is the dumbest statement i have ever heard.

No worries BB, just havin' a little contest with BUD is all.

Of course I didn't expect anyone to agree with me. You'd have to be CRAZY to do that! How's about we talk about it after the Flames once again lose in the first round?

Tree
Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Jarome captain material?

Though I have no idea what goes on in the dressing room, I think he is captain material. The role of the captain is to lead by example, be a team guy, support and help his team mates, be the face of the team. It helps if you are one of the best players on the team. I suspect he does all those things well. Since Messier, we seem to think the it's also the job of the captain to put the fear of god into his underperforming team mates, but in this case Iron Mike has shown in the past he's not shy and quite capable of dealing with players he thinks are dogging it. It's not Iggy's job. Plenty of teams have won cups with captains like Iggy. Not sure that Stevie Y or Joe Sakic are particularly known as menacing captains. I think Iggy fits in their mold.

And this from an Oiler fan. Who the hell is the Oiler captain now anyway?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

And this from an Oiler fan. Who the hell is the Oiler captain now anyway?
Ethan Moreau.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Ah Hockey Day in Canada. For a hockey fan what a great day to watch a few games and it all starts at 10 AM. First game is at 1PM Detroit at Toronto, 5 PM for Montreal at Ottawa, 5 PM for Edmonton at Calgary, and 8 PM for Colorado at Vancouver.
The only crappy thing is with this current NHL scheduling two games are at the same time - and they aren't all Canadian contests.
Lucky for me I'll be at the Flames game, here is to hoping it is a jacked up sort of a game.