Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 04:39 PM

Default Starting to Wonder Why I Bother

Was headed out to the Sherwood Park Fish and Game range this morning. Come across an Amazon driver that got stuck trying to turn around in a farm approach south bound on the range road. Long ways from any tow trucks.

Instead of going in nose first and keeping the non-positrac rear drive wheel on good road, backs into the approach instead. Not 2 feet off the good road and sitting on some snow and ice. A bit uphill coming out, still has TCS engaged, truck just sits and spin so has turned the spot to total ice. Van won't move backwards or forwrds and it is too heavy to push by hand. Puts on the tire socks that are in the van, zero improvement. So after 30 minutes of futzing around, I offer to winch it out but make it clear, not responsible for any damage. Only safe place to hook on is the front wheel, nothing underneath looks solid enough.

Hooking onto the front tire get a couple of feet movement, reset to the next set of holes a couple of times and the van is out. While my back is turned hops in the van and deedee mows out of there. No thank you, kiss my azz or anything esle. Thinking about how rude and ungrateful that was, it occurred to me they were probably afraid I would ask for money so decided to pull a quick powder. If I was going to ask for money I would have collected it while they were still stuck and I held all the cards.

Still won't pass someone in trouble, but damn, there are a lot of real jerks these days.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-14-2024 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:08 PM

Tried to give a driver directions to my place, not rocket science I am on a highway, didn't have the concept of North and south. Wasn't much better with left and right. See my truck at the end of my driveway with my name on my mailbox was also a fail because he went straight instead of turning as he was told, we could see each other.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was headed out to the Sherwood Park Fish and Game range this morning. Come across an Amazon driver that got stuck trying to turn around in a farm approach south bound on the range road. Long ways from any tow trucks.

Instead of going in nose first and keeping the non-positrac rear drive wheel on good road, backs into the approach instead. Not 2 feet off the good road and sitting on some snow and ice. A bit uphill coming out, still has TCS engaged, truck just sits and spin so has turned the spot to total ice. Van won't move backwards or forwrds and it is too heavy to push by hand. Puts on the tire socks that are in the van, zero improvement. So after 30 minutes of futzing around, I offer to winch it out but make it clear, not responsible for any damage. Only safe place to hook on is the front wheel, nothing underneath looks solid enough.

Hooking onto the front tire get a couple of feet movement, reset to the next set of holes a couple of times and the van is out. While my back is turned hops in the van and deedee mows out of there. No thank you, kiss my azz or anything esle. Thinking about how rude and ungrateful that was, it occurred to me they were probably afraid I would ask for money so decided to pull a quick powder. If I was going to ask for money I would have collected it while they were still stuck and I held all the cards.

Still won't pass someone in trouble, but damn, there are a lot of real jerks these days.
Haha I'm laughing because I'm thinking of the hundreds of four wheelers years ago when I was trucking that I either fixed their vehicle or pulled out of the ditch,etc but yet ive been broke down and have noticed nobody stops but no big deal I can normally fix things myself.
But dont sweat it man. It feels good to do the right thing or to be a blessing to someone else. I think it all works out in the end. You don't know what that guy had going on in his own life and maybe mind on something else? If you are right about him being worried about you asking for cash just think how crappy his life must be if that's what his mind is telling him. Im glad you could help the poor guy.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:31 PM

You could go down the rabbit hole of Amazon delivery vans getting stuck and destroying property in the States..... I suggest you don't.

Amazon has VERY strict rules for their drivers, including how to enter and exit driveways regardless of reality, which result in their vans getting stuck and destroying lawns, etc....

Welcome to the new world.

So yes, just leave them there next time.
Buzzards need to eat too.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-14-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Will bet good money driver didn't speak the queens English, have a few similar stories.
Lady in Olds apparently had a package delivered, right address, wrong city.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-14-2024, 09:27 PM

Unbelievable
Old 03-14-2024, 09:35 PM

Stopping to help was a normal thing before cellphones were invented. Now I assume they have already called for help and keep on driving.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:40 PM

Good on you for trying, the guy was probably very worried about getting chewed out or worse by his boss. Always feels good to try & help someone in need!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-14-2024, 10:23 PM

Well I lent my good jumper cable to some new Canadian who was in front of my street and their car died some one was nice enough to give them a boost, they end up driving off with it … it not what it used to be.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:30 PM

Default Similar

Thing happened a few winters ago with a Skip driver on our street. Buried his car in a snow bank, admitted he was texting at the time. He had nothing to extricate himself. One of his friends showed up but was useless in helping push him out.

Ended up firing up my 1 ton, nowhere to hook a chain onto so ran a strap thru his alloy wheel and pulled him out. The moment I unhooked him he got in the car and got lost...not a word of thanks, nothing.

Helping folks is something I do for me rather than for them...that being the case, if they are on the clock it won't be for free. Still cheaper and faster than calling for a tow, they don't have to give me a dime if they don't want to.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Karma.

You good deed will be returned and his well he is probably stuck again and this time the farmer hooks on and rips the front end off

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-15-2024, 08:08 AM

Angry

A while back, a 'new canadian' flagged me down in Coutts because his car would not start, i got out jumper cables and he asked 'what are those?. i got car started, and he tells me he is outta gas too. Closest gas station is Milk River, so I told him to follow me, as i live here and have a gas can full of gas at home. He followed me , I put two gallons in his car, and as soon as I put gas cap back on he jumped in car and was gone.... no thank you, or can i pay for gas nothing... I guess i owed it to him being a "new canadian" FIRST AND LAST TIME
Old 03-15-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Good on you for helping them out. You banked some good karma - that's what matters.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Good on you for trying, the guy was probably very worried about getting chewed out or worse by his boss. Always feels good to try & help someone in need!
Agreed, good on you Dean2.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:29 AM

Getting at least a couple Amazon mystery packages from the guy would have been nice tho. Maybe?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2024, 09:44 AM

Good on you Dean for being the samaritan that you are,im happy to know there are still some people out there who have some common decency,and no matter what what was going on in this guys life,he should have had the decency to at least say Thank you.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Good on you Dean for being the samaritan that you are,im happy to know there are still some people out there who have some common decency,and no matter what what was going on in this guys life,he should have had the decency to at least say Thank you.
Agreed.

If everyone said please and thank you, the world would be a better place.

BW
Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 AM

I had an Amazon truck stuck down the road on my Crescent 2 winters ago. Lots of snow and she deep sixed the van rounding onto the Link behind my house. I was on the way out with the wife and see neighbors trying in vain. I go home and grab my tow cable. ( I drive a 350 diesel) Chat and tell gal I can help. Hook on to the somewhat of a hook in the rear and I hear her say wait!!!!!
Her husband is on the way. It gets better.
He lands and thinks he is getting in my truck to complete the task!!!!
Ah...... No
Do you want me to proceed or not?
Out in a few minutes and again no thank you or wave ....... well my neighbors did says thanks!!!! The Amazon duo were also new Canadians!!!!
Charlie Brown......... good grief!!!!

Last edited by walker1; 03-15-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:28 AM

Agree with others on being the good guy trying to help someone in need even if they didn’t reciprocate, good karma will come back to you Dean.

There is a real problem with Amazon drivers not following the rules of the road.
The amount of rural speeding, drifting through stop signs, cutting out if front of drivers impatiently on range roads etc I see in my area is gonna get people killed.
On top of that you have drivers who are constantly on devices while they are driving dealing with orders.

I had an Amazon van blow a stop sign in front of me just before Christmas.
After skidding probably 50 feet in my car and narrowly missing the van(thankfully he was able to stop just in time that I could get around him), the driver took off before I could give him a piece of my mind.
I started following him but thought better of it in the event I did catch up to him….lol

I decided to call Amazon to file a complaint on the driver as I heard these newer vehicles have tracking devices in them, all I was told is that they would have the supervisor for the area follow up with the driver. When I asked for a follow up call they said they don’t do that. Ya okay…..lol
Old 03-15-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
Good on you for helping them out. You banked some good karma - that's what matters.
X2. That's why I always help if needed. One day it will be me, so I hope someone stops.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:29 PM

Hell in a hand bag is where this world is headed! Truxk broke down pulling a stock trailer on highway 16 on a Friday evening. 90% of the vehicles coming at us, even when we were outside working on the trailer didn’t even so much as slow down or pullover into the passing lane.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:20 PM

I'm sure that most would agree that this thread has run its course.
Closed Thread