Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 07:50 PM

Default Home Insurance Question

Do you have to cancel your previous years house insurance?

We had insurance from company A last year.

This year, we shopped around again and found a better deal. They drew up the paper work and we signed it.

On Friday we get a "registered letter", (Which was left in our house mail box unsigned. (our mail is delivered to a community box down the road))...

The letter is from our old insurance company A that says that we "owe" them $186 for insurance for January to Feb and that our insurance has been cancelled.

We did get a quote from them, but they were too high and they kept changing the value when I would ask about this or that. We never agreed to their insurance quote for another year and never signed any agreement for another year.

Can they just keep our insurance going without any agreement? Or do we have to cancel the old insurance? I have never had to cancel any old insurance to get insurance from another company in the past.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

SS
Old 03-09-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Do you have to cancel your previous years house insurance?

We had insurance from company A last year.

This year, we shopped around again and found a better deal. They drew up the paper work and we signed it.

On Friday we get a "registered letter", (Which was left in our house mail box unsigned. (our mail is delivered to a community box down the road))...

The letter is from our old insurance company A that says that we "owe" them $186 for insurance for January to Feb and that our insurance has been cancelled.

We did get a quote from them, but they were too high and they kept changing the value when I would ask about this or that. We never agreed to their insurance quote for another year and never signed any agreement for another year.

Can they just keep our insurance going without any agreement? Or do we have to cancel the old insurance? I have never had to cancel any old insurance to get insurance from another company in the past.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

SS
I believe there is a clause that should you forget to pay the insurance and a problem happens that you pay and are still covered.

If you don’t call and tell them you don’t want the product you are still deemed to be with them.

Contact the insurance ombudsman for Alberta and ask. Or conversely read your contract for cancellation or missed payment.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-09-2024, 08:24 PM

I believe the policies are are all set to renew automatically.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2024, 10:23 PM

Default Ask your new insurance company?

Maybe they can give you a straight honest answer.

I sold my boat a few weeks before the policy was as due to be renewed.
No need to have coverage on something I did not own so I simply did not pay the renewal. They sent me a bill that I ignored.

Then they called wanting to be paid. Told them to get bent. And asked if I was allowed to insure something g I did not own. Then they got cranky.

Ended up having to send them a copy of the bill of sale to get them to believe I did not still own the boat.

Apparently there was some clause that required me to cancel. I did not have to pay. I did not get a refund for the two weeks that I did not own the boat.

I would have expected the non payment to have been enough of a hint that I did not need coverage.

I bet had I forgot to pay and the boat was stolen I would have had a battle to convince them to cover it.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:23 AM

It all depends on your contract and that would be the best place to find the answer
Old 03-10-2024, 07:30 AM

The simple thing to do would be to advise them you are not renewing the policy on your home, boom they do the paper work and bob's your uncle.

If you sell a vehicle / boat. quad or anything a quick call to the insurance provider to advise them it's sold and to take it off your policy, really how hard is that.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The simple thing to do would be to advise them you are not renewing the policy on your home, boom they do the paper work and bob's your uncle.

If you sell a vehicle / boat. quad or anything a quick call to the insurance provider to advise them it's sold and to take it off your policy, really how hard is that.
Picking up the phone is apparently super hard nowadays! Always phone the agent when something is sold or not renewed.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:38 AM

Same thing happened to me this year. My bad.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Yes Sir! Spot on. Took the OP way longer to write this post than it would have to just cancel the policy, not to mention the costs for not cancelling properly.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:36 PM

Yes it is your responsibility to cancel the old one but typically if you show them proof that you set up a new policy on renewal they wont charge you. As mentioned contact your broker or the insurance company.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:17 PM

Send them a copy of your new policy. If it started the same time the old policy expired you should have no problem. If there's a gap your on the hook
Old 03-11-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Yes Sir! Spot on. Took the OP way longer to write this post than it would have to just cancel the policy, not to mention the costs for not cancelling properly.
Oh I agree IF they had sent me something that told me my insurance was going to be renewed. I got nothing from them and my old broker never said a thing. I got quotes from other companies and went with a different broker and company.

I did call my new broker and she informed me that I have to cancel the old one or it will roll over. It doesn't say that anywhere in my policies fine print, but I guess it is supposed be something I was to know.

The other thing is that I have never had to cancel another policy as I have always got a quote and told them either to sharpen the pencil or they were the insurer for the next year.

I am going to call them and have a discussion to see what is what.

Thanks for all the comments

Cheers

SS
Old 03-11-2024, 09:49 PM

a few times the insurance broker has called me about renewal and I told them to wait u til. The last day when changing insurance companies

strange they did not call

also they have sent me registered mail notice to cancel

U were wrong but be firm

Insurance companies are scum

legally their is a concept that insurance is a contract of umbera fides . think it means of utmost good faith but only on your part, not on theirs

again u were wrong but they are scum