Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
What trim level? Leather, power everything, sun roof, safety suite, etc?
Sorry, I lied. I went and checked my bill of sale. It was 49, almost 50, before taxes, not 47. The Colorado’s I was looking at were likely 47.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
No leather, but would’ve paid the $1000 for it if this truck would’ve had it. LT Z-71 with RST options added. Same trim as the little trucks and more than I was looking at. Honestly, I don’t understand a lot of options in trucks nowadays. A sunroof in a truck makes zero sense to me. Then to spend $1500 for it boggles my mind.

It also helped with preferred pricing and x-plan the full-size trucks had better discounts. Like I said, it was
basically the same price for me to go full size from a
small truck. I didn’t even intend to look at half tons but it
ended up being the way I went.

The little trucks didn’t have factory box-liners, V-8, gun cabinet under seat, 120V power in the box or heated
steering wheels.
I absolutely avoid sunroofs, after one shattered going down the highway. As well, they can leak, and lead to
corrosion. I want leather, homelink remote in visor,
locking differential, skid plates, LED lights, and a larger
fuel tank, and I like Android Auto, but I don't want to pay
extra for power tail gate, power pedals, adaptive cruise,
lane departure, or the other extra cost electronics,
navigation/convenience packages. I will add the 3M , spray in liner, box cover, and Weathertechs aftermarket.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
New or used newer trucks look plastic and older ones look like they have a lot to go wrong with them. Everything looks over priced.
If you were putting 20,000 km on a vehicle a year. Most on dirt roads. Wanted 4x4. What is best bang for your Buck?
Do you want new or used? Do you need a truck? What is your budget? How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle? I see 4x4, but will AWD do the trick since it's going to be used for on-road driving. When you think about it, most oilfield service companies used 2wd trucks and station wagons in the 60's thru to the 80's, hardly anyone had 4x4's.

Reliable for many years and less likely to break down, Toyota or Honda. But it always depends how well a vehicle is maintained, how hard it is driven and if you do the work yourself or have a shop nearby that can do the maintenance/repairs for you.

Cheap on fuel, does it really matter? If you find a decent used vehicle for $20-30k and it gets 14l or even 18l/100km vs a new vehicle for $60-100k that gets 10l/100km, you're not saving anything. You can buy an awful lot of fuel for $40-$60k.

As you can see the ask is way too general to really suggest anything other than what people have currently purchased or had in the past. It's almost like asking "What rifle should I get?", lol.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:32 PM

Bought a 2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 hemi, 6 SPD auto. One owner highway 300,000 km in mint condition service records from new, 4 door short bed,$23,000 .

The SUVs I briefly looked at not only had no tow hooks but didn't even have a place to hook a chain to front of vehicle so that just eliminated them for me.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I lied. I went and checked my bill of sale. It was 49, almost 50, before taxes, not 47. The Colorado’s I was looking at were likely 47.
U did not,lie

you erred

a lie is deliberate attempt to mislead
Old 03-09-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Bought a 2012 Toyota tundra 5.7 hemi, 6 SPD auto. One owner highway 300,000 km in mint condition service records from new, 4 door short bed,$23,000 .

The SUVs I briefly looked at not only had no tow hooks but didn't even have a place to hook a chain to front of vehicle so that just eliminated them for me.
Super reliable vehicle, I had a 2007, and had it for 12 years, replaced battery in 10th year, did front brakes in

last year .The only thing that you won't like, is fuel consumption, and possibly having the traction control slow you to a crawl in slush. Learn to disable the active handling as well, as it will get you stuck in deep snow.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-09-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:

23g for a 2012 with 300k. OUCH.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:

My dad has a 2012 Tundra Crewmax with around 180,000 km and the only work that has needed to be done other than fluid changes are tires and brakes. The mileage isn't that bad as long as you do the speed limit. If you like to drive at 120-140 they'll suck back the fuel. Four of us took his truck from Dawson Creek to Prince Rupert and back a couple of summers ago to go fishing and it got better mileage than his previous 2006 Sierra 1500 with a 5.3l and his 2004 f150 crew cab 5.4l. Plus it had way more power and was much nicer to drive.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
Here’s my take,

I’ve had 3 Tacos
2000, 2007, 2015

Drove the bag off all of them, still in the 2015. They don’t break ever. With the exception of lightbulbs, I don’t ever have an issue. I’ll be approaching 1000000kms in Tacos.
They have all been garbage on gas though but they are truly remarkable in reliability.
... I agree, would rather buy fuel than repairs... 2011 TRD off road ... 170 km ... maintenance items only ...
Old 03-09-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
New or used newer trucks look plastic and older ones look like they have a lot to go wrong with them. Everything looks over priced.
If you were putting 20,000 km on a vehicle a year. Most on dirt roads. Wanted 4x4. What is best bang for your Buck?
I’ve always been a huge Toyota fan but I needed something a little bigger for towing so I picked up a F150 with the little3.0 diesel, and I’ve been very pleasantly surprised. Getting a 1000 kms a tank has been a real eye opener, and towing with it has been great.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:23 PM

Honda ridgeline
Old 03-11-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Whenever I see a Subaru, or hear about them, I think of the infamous Subaru test drive that was reported here
on AO. Sns2 decided to test a new Subaru in the snow, and he ended up having to call the dealership to come and get their vehicle unstuck. You can drag a rear differential a few inches into the snow , but when the snow is up to the chassis/floor, you aren't going anywhere.
I remember that well. Did actually think about that when my wife bought hers (Outback premium) about 7 years ago. The thing is nearly unstoppable. We have been down roads that made most 4 wheel drives turn around and go home (unless they have a ton or two of weight in the box) The OP is looking for something for his wife, I cannot think of a better choice. Tires also make a HUGE difference. But then again there are drivers, and then there are Avalanche drivers.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:41 PM

I have a Chev Silverado and enjoy it but it's not light on maintenance. The fuel economy is ok for a truck and I prefer it to smaller trucks. I rented a Jeep Wrangler in Florida and was impressed by both its fuel economy and its handling, not sure how they fare on maintenance.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I remember that well. Did actually think about that when my wife bought hers (Outback premium) about 7 years ago. The thing is nearly unstoppable. We have been down roads that made most 4 wheel drives turn around and go home (unless they have a ton or two of weight in the box) The OP is looking for something for his wife, I cannot think of a better choice. Tires also make a HUGE difference. But then again there are drivers, and then there are Avalanche drivers.
Tires make a difference when they can reach the ground, when the vehicle is hung up in deep snow, it doesn't matter what tires you have, or who is driving. At least with a pickup, you can fill the box with snow, to sink it down and get some traction. An AWD car or car based SUV is certainly a good choice for icy roads or some
snow, but when the snow gets deep,or the ruts get deep, they do get hung up much easier. I had a smaller AWD SUV, and it was actually surprising what it would go through, but I will take my truck when the snow gets deep.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Tires make a difference when they can reach the ground, when the vehicle is hung up in deep snow, it doesn't matter what tires you have, or who is driving. At least with a pickup, you can fill the box with snow, to sink it down and get some traction. An AWD car or car based SUV is certainly a good choice for icy roads or some
snow, but when the snow gets deep,or the ruts get deep, they do get hung up much easier. I had a smaller AWD SUV, and it was actually surprising what it would go through, but I will take my truck when the snow gets deep.
I would have cried laughing seeing the look on that truck drivers face as he drove flat out into the deep snow , guy must have said some wiener head just stole that thing or he's crazy .Then calling the dealership for help

He should get an award for making the salesman from the dealership for finally have to move his arrs and shoveling . They need one like him to show up the odd time at least once a week .

Priceless ,best story on AO period. Shane is solid gold for posting it ,most guys wouldn't say a word .
Old 03-11-2024, 11:46 PM

Pre 2013 Ford Escape
Old 03-12-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I absolutely avoid sunroofs, after one shattered going down the highway. As well, they can leak, and lead to
corrosion. I want leather, homelink remote in visor,
locking differential, skid plates, LED lights, and a larger
fuel tank, and I like Android Auto, but I don't want to pay
extra for power tail gate, power pedals, adaptive cruise,
lane departure, or the other extra cost electronics,
navigation/convenience packages. I will add the 3M , spray in liner, box cover, and Weathertechs aftermarket.
Are you sure we're not related?
Old 03-12-2024, 09:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:

Is it woman friendly?

You’ll find out when she is stranded soon enough

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-12-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Is it woman friendly?

You’ll find out when she is stranded soon enough
Haha atleast it has tow hooks so I can tow her home.

Remember years ago when Merle Haggard was singing about the Toyota Man like he was like the devil or something? Remember in the 70s all the hate? Ricers,rice burner's, I would walk before I would drive something like that,etc?
That used to be me. For Ford, GM, Mopar to loose me as as customer that says a lot more about them than it does about me.
Another selling point about Toyota was apparently easy to get parts for older trucks. Mopar and Ford,probably GM as well are terrible. So many changes within a year. No aftermarket support for lots of things.
Apparently Toyota Tundra was basically the same truck for a lot of years so parts are apparently plentiful.
GM has been going down hill since 1986. Fords last good truck was 1979 and Mopars best trucks were Cummins trucks with things going down hill in 1999.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
GM has been going down hill since 1986. Fords last good truck was 1979 and Mopars best trucks were Cummins trucks with things going down hill in 1999.
What made the 1985 GM so much better than their 86 & 87 counterparts? And the 88-99 OBS GMs are arguably some of the best trucks ever made.

As for the fords, the 80-91 trucks were bullet proof. And the 92-96 fords may be the only trucks built better than the OBS GMs.

As for dodge; I would consider owning a Cummins. I wouldn't be too excited about what is attached to it.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
What made the 1985 GM so much better than their 86 & 87 counterparts? And the 88-99 OBS GMs are arguably some of the best trucks ever made.

As for the fords, the 80-91 trucks were bullet proof. And the 92-96 fords may be the only trucks built better than the OBS GMs.

As for dodge; I would consider owning a Cummins. I wouldn't be too excited about what is attached to it.
In 1986 you could still get a carbureted big block without catalytic converters. Dana 60 front axle, Saginaw Muncie 465 or even a th400 backed by 205 transfer case and 14 bolt full float rear. I could go on all day about why this truck and drive train was so awesome.
In 1980 ford went to light weight body and frame. Frames actually had holes in the for reduced weight and trucks would break in two. They did away with solid front axles and gear driven transfer cases.
Agreed about best Dodge trucks not having much actually built by Dodge. Example 1990 dodge Cummins . After 1998 dodge was getting to much electronics and soon after that the Cummins engine blocks were sourced from south America and had casting problems but I'm definitely no second generation Cummins expert. I do have a neighbor who between him and his brother own about 50 second gens. They basically buy everyone that has ever came up for sale locally. They won't buy newer than 1998.

Those 1988 and newer GMC trucks are popular with people who are not old enough to know how good the older gm trucks were.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:

t.
'86 was the last year of the carb in GM. '87 still had the square body but the new throttle body, '88 new body style

Last year that ford made a worthy of owning truck was '79, old body style but square headlights
Old 03-12-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I didn’t know that. Handy to know if I ever want an El Camino. 😄
Well where I live a person does not need a full blow pick up unless you are hauling or towing something. No public land free for all around here and landowners are not going to give you free reign to just go drive around on there leases. For me it would be a perfect vehicle and will probably be my next and last vehicle purchase. It will haul a few sheet goods and tow my boat plus ride like a dream.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well where I live a person does not need a full blow pick up unless you are hauling or towing something. No public land free for all around here and landowners are not going to give you free reign to just go drive around on there leases. For me it would be a perfect vehicle and will probably be my next and last vehicle purchase. It will haul a few sheet goods and tow my boat plus ride like a dream.
Perfect. I was just teasing.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
In 1986 you could still get a carbureted big block without catalytic converters. Dana 60 front axle, Saginaw Muncie 465 or even a th400 backed by 205 transfer case and 14 bolt full float rear. I could go on all day about why this truck and drive train was so awesome.
In 1980 ford went to light weight body and frame. Frames actually had holes in the for reduced weight and trucks would break in two. They did away with solid front axles and gear driven transfer cases.
Agreed about best Dodge trucks not having much actually built by Dodge. Example 1990 dodge Cummins . After 1998 dodge was getting to much electronics and soon after that the Cummins engine blocks were sourced from south America and had casting problems but I'm definitely no second generation Cummins expert. I do have a neighbor who between him and his brother own about 50 second gens. They basically buy everyone that has ever came up for sale locally. They won't buy newer than 1998.

Those 1988 and newer GMC trucks are popular with people who are not old enough to know how good the older gm trucks were.
Ahhh yes the evil injection and cats. The thing that makes engines go 300,000km regularly. I hear all the people that tell me how carbeurators are so great, and much like timing, only 2 of the 1000 know what they are talking about in regards to working on them. Injection is so easy. So easy. I am a fan of CSB and CBB but none of them ever made 300,000km between overhauls. Do you yearn for the days of points as well? There is a reason every hot rod is dropping an LS in it nowadays, and its not because a carbeurated big block is better.

As for the OBS chevy’s there are a lot more 1,000,000 km of those running around than there ever was the square bodies.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Ahhh yes the evil injection and cats. The thing that makes engines go 300,000km regularly. I hear all the people that tell me how carbeurators are so great, and much like timing, only 2 of the 1000 know what they are talking about in regards to working on them. Injection is so easy. So easy. I am a fan of CSB and CBB but none of them ever made 300,000km between overhauls. Do you yearn for the days of points as well? There is a reason every hot rod is dropping an LS in it nowadays, and its not because a carbeurated big block is better.

As for the OBS chevy’s there are a lot more 1,000,000 km of those running around than there ever was the square bodies.
I like carburetors because without much for tools I can easily rebuild with just a cheap carb kit. I can tune with a screwdriver. So easy and everything lasts forever.
I like idea of points because I can visually see what's going on and how much life left. Can also control advance with springs or even take springs right out for race engines.
With fords electronic 1979 ignition I literally care a spare in every truck so when it goes I'm not broke down. HEI is pretty trouble free but takes up a lot of room between engine and firewall.
I know LS is cheap horsepower but has to much wires on it.
My son is right into duramax. Has had tons of them. I'm not sure what all he does to them but all the power in the world. Great fuel mileage and they handle good. He gets mad at me because he knows I really don't see a whole lot of value in them. Here is why. They are stupid expensive. He is wrenching on them all the time and basically you need to lift cab off of truck to get at stuff. He has access to a lift but I think its crazy to design a truck that you have to have a truck lift in order to work at it. Plus all the plastic on it keeps breaking and falling off and they are just plain ugly and have no style to them. 50 years from now none of these plastic trucks will still be here.
Its like guns. Best guns are simple rugged,reliable and can be field stripped without tools. Trucks are the same way.
About lasting. How long do you think a eco boost will last? What are duramax injectors worth now over 6000? SBC used to be able to rebuild pretty cheap. How much do people spend trying to track down and fix electrical or computer problems that work some of the time.

Last edited by W921; 03-12-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:05 PM

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-12-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I like carburetors because without much for tools I can easily rebuild with just a cheap carb kit. I can tune with a screwdriver. So easy and everything lasts forever.
I like idea of points because I can visually see what's going on and how much life left. Can also control advance with springs or even take springs right out for race engines.
With fords electronic 1979 ignition I literally care a spare in every truck so when it goes I'm not broke down. HEI is pretty trouble free but takes up a lot of room between engine and firewall.
I know LS is cheap horsepower but has to much wires on it.
My son is right into duramax. Has had tons of them. I'm not sure what all he does to them but all the power in the world. Great fuel mileage and they handle good. He gets mad at me because he knows I really don't see a whole lot of value in them. Here is why. They are stupid expensive. He is wrenching on them all the time and basically you need to lift cab off of truck to get at stuff. He has access to a lift but I think its crazy to design a truck that you have to have a truck lift in order to work at it. Plus all the plastic on it keeps breaking and falling off and they are just plain ugly and have no style to them. 50 years from now none of these plastic trucks will still be here.
Its like guns. Best guns are simple rugged,reliable and can be field stripped without tools. Trucks are the same way.
About lasting. How long do you think a eco boost will last? What are duramax injectors worth now over 6000? SBC used to be able to rebuild pretty cheap. How much do people spend trying to track down and fix electrical or computer problems that work some of the time.
On all the trucks I mentioned, no cab ever comes off. And an OBD2 reader makes any diagnostics simple. Years and years of trouble free computer controlled injection.

If you set a carbeurator with nothing more than a screwdriver, do you set your timing by ear too? I think injection made cars way more reliable simply because every yahoo that didn’t have screws to crank and distributors to turn were forced to leave the vehicles alone. I can’t tell you the hundreds of vehicles I have seen that people “tuned-up”. Forget the cracked vacuum lines, its always the carb or timing.

SBC was the cheapest engine to overhaul, still might be, but it has quadrupled since the late 90s. You can buy a decent LS for cheaper than a SBC overhaul kit with Chinese parts.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Absolutely spot on. My first car was a 54 Ford flat head followed by the high output Dodge Royal push button hemi. In their day, they were the shizzel and I was one cool Cat that all the girls wanted to ride, (with). I could fix pretty much anything with 4 wrenches, a screw driver and a vacuum guage. At 80,000 miles they were done and if you ever got 100,000 miles you were a legend. In comparison to todays vehicles not even close in performance, the 426 blown hemi GTX wouldn't come close to my Lexus, forget about a Viper, in the 0 to 60 mph time, let alone longevity. My last Lexus went 400,000 klms with nothing but maintenance, my 1970 Charger was dead at 120,000 miles and the cost to extend its life far exceeded the cars value. Thank god they don't make them like they used to.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
On all the trucks I mentioned, no cab ever comes off. And an OBD2 reader makes any diagnostics simple. Years and years of trouble free computer controlled injection.

If you set a carbeurator with nothing more than a screwdriver, do you set your timing by ear too? I think injection made cars way more reliable simply because every yahoo that didn’t have screws to crank and distributors to turn were forced to leave the vehicles alone. I can’t tell you the hundreds of vehicles I have seen that people “tuned-up”. Forget the cracked vacuum lines, its always the carb or timing.

SBC was the cheapest engine to overhaul, still might be, but it has quadrupled since the late 90s. You can buy a decent LS for cheaper than a SBC overhaul kit with Chinese parts.
No I dont set timing by ear.
Okay you were talking about 88 and up Chevrolet. Nothing greasable. 2wd ball the front joints beat right out on them on 4 wd the front axle wouldn't engage in cold weather and wouldn't disingage on hot weather.. My truck would just quit when it was raining and nobody back then could figure it out. The door locks used plastic linkage that would lock automatically if you slammed doors hard and thanks to anti theft you could not break back into your own truck. No drip rail on top of doors. Rain lays in between door and cab and freezes door shut.
If you pull hard on door the cast fake metal door handle breaks off.
Door hinges are welded to cab of truck. Limited door adjustment .one hit on front of door how do you replace the hinge?
90s ford I think was your other truck? I owned and drove tons of 80s,90s fords. Half tons to one ton 460 4x4s. Ford bought out Mazda and used Mazda transmissions in their trucks. They were weak and had a hydraulic clutch that used to always leak. Used to have to pull transfer case and transmission just to fix leak. Twin traction beam also sucked.
Those eighties ford diesels were okay engine with the 435 tranny. International made the motor and new process made the four speed behind it.