Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is a full size truck I take it?

I was referring to the mid size gas engine, turbo etc

Looks like with many brands that come out they fix their problems and or move on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope mine is the Colorado the full not available yet in 2018

Issues with the shocks were never fixed because of the number of people who just use them as a pavement princess. Issue only happens for those using them in rougher areas. Muddy rutted out roads in the bush will do it

I would not see this as a big issue if the zr2 wasn’t marketed for off road use

Truth is a 4x4 Colorado would fit most people’s need's at a lower cost. Unless you are going to use front and rear lockers, need a suspension for rougher terrain, and going to utilize the clearance from the way the front is designed or small lift

If someone is just going to drive on gravel and a little snow the other option with the zr2 are just extra money for something not need. But the zr2 looks cooler lol

If chev fixed the issues with the zr2 I would have traded mine in for the newer version because it’s a comfortable small truck with lots of seat adjustment for my height
Old 03-08-2024, 07:31 PM

Lada Niva 1600

Cossack Edition
Old 03-08-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yes, the Tacoma isn't great on fuel. I knew that beforehand, when I bought my Offroad premium package new in 2021. Not a big deal if you're only putting on 20k km a year, and I only put 10k a year on mine. To buy any domestic half ton with the same trim level was $20k more at the time. I can buy quite a bit of fuel to make up the marginal loss in fuel mileage over any half ton with the $20K I saved. The Tacoma also holds it's resale value better then any other truck on the market. And, I don't need a half ton, so there was that. Although I can still haul 1200 lbs in box or tow 6000 lbs on my trailer if I need to. I hauled my 1000 lb skate sharpener from Calgary to GP, used a whole liter per 100 more.

The fixation on fuel economy is adorable, as long as you don't factor in initial cost and resale. Tacoma is a solid, proven, reliable truck. I'm only 5'8", so it fits me just fine, but it's not for bigger guys. And, the ride on the highway with Offroad package is excellent, I prefer it to my wife's VW Tiguan. You could do worse then buying a decent 3rd gen Tacoma.

Haters gonna hate.

That is strange. In 2021 I was gonna buy a ranger, colorado, tacoma, or frontier. In the end I ended up with a full size half-ton. The half ton ended up having more options and was about 3k more expensive than the colorado, 1k more than the ranger, and cheaper than the tacoma (the most expensive of the bunch) by almost 2k. After sitting in a Frontier I didn’t even price it out.

My half-ton gets better mileage and I can haul a sheet of plywood. That really bugs me about the smaller trucks. Literally one more inch between the wheel wells and any of them could carry a sheet of plywood but no engineer for any of them has figured that out.

Also I can sit properly in a full size half-ton and not have my legs sitting out in front of me like all of the smaller trucks.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
That is strange. In 2021 I was gonna buy a ranger, colorado, tacoma, or frontier. In the end I ended up with a full size half-ton. The half ton ended up having more options and was about 3k more expensive than the colorado, 1k more than the ranger, and cheaper than the tacoma (the most expensive of the bunch) by almost 2k. After sitting in a Frontier I didn’t even price it out.

My half-ton gets better mileage and I can haul a sheet of plywood. That really bugs me about the smaller trucks. Literally one more inch between the wheel wells and any of them could carry a sheet of plywood but no engineer for any of them has figured that out.

Also I can sit properly in a full size half-ton and not have my legs sitting out in front of me like all of the smaller trucks.
Honda has.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-08-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
No rust and less weight is a plus, but a friend who works autobody has ranted at great length over beers about the huge PITA they are to fix, and how easy they are damaged. That would be my concern, parking lot door dings drive me wild.
Fine if you like your vehicle held together with pop rivets and glue. Have seen the negative side of aluminum in vehicles in depth. Stress cracks in aluminum, body panels that rip and tear very easily, inner and outer box panels coming completely off and away from the truck when the rivets and glue let go upon impact. Anyway they(not just Ford but all manufacturers are using aluminum to some extent) they make them out of aluminum not because it is superior but rather because it is cheaper. It is far more expensive to repair than metal. True it doesn't rust, it corrodes.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Honda has.
I didn’t know that. Handy to know if I ever want an El Camino. 😄
Old 03-08-2024, 08:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
What year and how many miles on jeep wrangler when started having trouble?

All the jeeps we have owned between 150-200 k

10yrs ish

Then the little things start turning into big things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-08-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It’s a 2014. First radiator went in at 64000, just off warranty.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Lada Niva 1600

Cossack Edition
Dosa dobrey.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I paid $48K before taxes for my truck. Any half ton I looked at with similar trim was $65K and up, probably because in February of 21 the lots were virtually empty and there were no discounts being offered by anyone. Except for my Tacoma, the local dealership is owned by a good friend. So I got a decent discount.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-08-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I paid $48K before taxes for my truck. Any half ton I looked at with similar trim was $65K and up, probably because in February of 21 the lots were virtually empty and there were no discounts being offered by anyone. Except for my Tacoma, the local dealership is owned by a good friend. So I got a decent discount.
I ordered my F150 in March of 2021, at the time there was still a $4000 factory rebate a $1000 rebate for a factory order, and the dealership and I settled on $4600 dealer discount, for a total of $9600, off of msrp. With Lariat trim, 3.5 ecoboost, FX4 offroad package, Sport Appearance package , 20" wheels, spray in boxliner ,3m protection ,rigid box cover and Weathertech floor liners, the price came to $63k. The dealership is small, but they had 8 -10 or so F150s in stock. My truck came in after 7 weeks, and by then, there were no trucks on the lot, no factory rebates, and no dealer discounts.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM

Sounds like your timing was very good, I'd say! When I was looking locally, there was bupkis for any discounts. In fairness, I had a preference for the Tacoma anyway, so wasn't dealing on any half tons. I was happy to get it for $48, though I did spend another $2k on a 3 panel tonneau and 3M, so $50K plus GST. It seems like you made out really good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM

Default Reliable cheap on fuel 4x4 that is woman friendly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My wife really likes her Colorado. Just over 10L/100km mileage. Haven’t had any issues with it. My Jeep Wrangler is just a money pit. I usually can’t go more than a month or two with out something breaking, leaking, or not working. I wish GM would build something to compete with the Bronco and Wrangler.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
It’s a 2014. First radiator went in at 64000, just off warranty.
The 3.6L Pentastar engine in your Jeep is one of the most extensively offered engines in recent use. Since 2011 it has been used in somewhere in the neighbourhood of 17 different vehicle models and is currently being installed in at least 8 vehicle models in 2024 including the Ram 1500 It's a reliable product.

I've owned two Jeep Wrangler JK's none of them with any trouble whatsoever. The one I'm driving now is a 14 and has 192K. Just sayin'...

The Jeep Wrangler doesn't belong in this thread anyway, because it's not a truck and it's horrible on gas. The Jeep Gladiator, while being a truck and a great 4X4 also doesn't belong in this thread because of the horrible gas mileage...but nobody drives a Jeep because they are economical . They are women friendly though...my wife picked out the 6 speed standard version because she thinks it's cool.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Tacoma
I think he said cheap on fuel.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:36 PM

I just bought a Subaru Outback Wilderness. Nearly 9" of ground clearance which is as good or better then most pickup trucks. Boxer engine, fuel economy is quite good and the all wheel drive system is better then most! Ride and comfort levels are excellent. And the price is about 1/2 of what you would pay for either a well equipped pickup or SUV.

Yes, I have 6.5 Creedmoor as well, just need a man bun now .

Seriously they are worth a look
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I just bought a Subaru Outback Wilderness. Nearly 9" of ground clearance which is as good or better then most pickup trucks. Boxer engine, fuel economy is quite good and the all wheel drive system is better then most! Ride and comfort levels are excellent. And the price is about 1/2 of what you would pay for either a well equipped pickup or SUV.

Yes, I have 6.5 Creedmoor as well, just need a man bun

now .

Seriously they are worth a look
Whenever I see a Subaru, or hear about them, I think of the infamous Subaru test drive that was reported here
on AO. Sns2 decided to test a new Subaru in the snow, and he ended up having to call the dealership to come and get their vehicle unstuck. You can drag a rear differential a few inches into the snow , but when the snow is up to the chassis/floor, you aren't going anywhere.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:03 AM

4x4 truck and cheap on gas don’t go in the same sentence. You can have one or the the other but not both.

Back in the day when Toyota made small 4x4 trucks. They were not cheap on gas , but they were small and they were excellent 4x4s.

RAV4 will be reasonable on gas but it’s not really a 4x4 , front wheel drive with rear wheel assist (by electric motor not driveshaft) to one wheel or the other depending on which wheel the computer deems to be slipping most.

We are currently looking at the RAV4 but under no illusions that it is a proper 4x4. It will assist getting going from slippery intersections but it won’t bring you out of the ditch after it takes you in.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
4x4 truck and cheap on gas don’t go in the same sentence. You can have one or the the other but not both.

Back in the day when Toyota made small 4x4 trucks. They were not cheap on gas , but they were small and they were excellent 4x4s.

RAV4 will be reasonable on gas but it’s not really a 4x4 , front wheel drive with rear wheel assist (by electric
motor not driveshaft) to one wheel or the other depending on which wheel the computer deems to be slipping most.

We are currently looking at the RAV4 but under no illusions that it is a proper 4x4. It will assist getting going from slippery intersections but it won’t bring you out of the ditch after it takes you in.
The last time I looked, which was a couple of years ago, the Rav4 still had a driveshaft to drive the rear wheels. It does use an electric coupler to engage the rear axle as required, and it does control which rear wheel torque is applied to, but the rear wheels are still driven by the
engine. The only electric motor driving the vehicle is on the hybrid.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The last time I looked, which was a couple of years ago, the Rav4 still had a driveshaft to drive the rear wheels. It does use an electric coupler to engage the rear axle as required, and it does control which rear wheel torque is applied to, but the rear wheels are still driven by the
engine. The only electric motor driving the vehicle is on the hybrid.
I could be wrong on the driveshaft. I didn’t crawl under the car to check. That was the impression I got from the salesman. Regardless there seemed to be some lag for the rear traction in slippery conditions.

Not saying it’s a bad system but if it true 4x4 you want then that isn’t it.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 AM

Actually, I take that back the Ford Ranger with the eco-boost engine seems to be quite economical on fuel. I have a friend who has one and it gets quite good gas mileage and seems to be a very fairly good 4x4. Although I have reservations as to how long that turbo charge four-cylinder engine would last but that’s just me.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong on the driveshaft. I didn’t crawl under the car to check. That was the impression I got from the salesman. Regardless there seemed to be some lag for the rear traction in slippery conditions.

Not saying it’s a bad system but if it true 4x4 you want then that isn’t it.
Salesmen usually aren't good with technical explanations. But no, it's AWD like Honda and other manufacturers use. AWD is actually superior for many conditions, such as highways with scattered patches of ice or snow, because it works all the time, without putting strain on the driveline, unlike a 4x4 that puts a lot of stain on components, when driven locked up on pavement. But when it comes to getting through deep mud or snow, I prefer 4x4.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Actually, I take that back the Ford Ranger with the eco-boost engine seems to be quite economical on fuel. I have a friend who has one and it gets quite good gas mileage and seems to be a very fairly good 4x4. Although I have reservations as to how long that turbo charge four-cylinder engine would last but that’s just me.
My neighbour has one, and he claims good mileage as well, but he drives very conservatively.
The new Tacoma with turbo 4cylinder supposedly does get about 10% better mileage than the twin turbo Tundra, so mid size pickup mileage is improving.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-09-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My neighbour has one, and he claims good mileage as well, but he drives very conservatively. The new Tacoma with turbo 4cylinder supposedly does get about 10% better mileage than the twin turbo Tundra, so mid size pickup mileage is improving.
My friend has a lead foot so still getting the mileage in spite of that.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
My friend has a lead foot so still getting the mileage in spite of that.
Looking at the Ford rating though, while the Ranger with turbo 4 averages about 10% better than my 3.5 for combined mileage, it gets the same highway mileage, so it's gains are for city driving. With the 2.7 ecoboost though, the Ranger gets about the same mileage as my 3.5. it does slightly better in the city, but actually not as good on the highway. That seems odd, the only explanation that I can see, is that the F150 has the air dam that deploys at speed to reduce air flowing under the truck, and the Ranger doesn't have that feature. And looking at weights, the F150, is actually only 300lbs heavier than the Ranger with V6.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-09-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The 3.6L Pentastar engine in your Jeep is one of the most extensively offered engines in recent use. Since 2011 it has been used in somewhere in the neighbourhood of 17 different vehicle models and is currently being installed in at least 8 vehicle models in 2024 including the Ram 1500 It's a reliable product.

I've owned two Jeep Wrangler JK's none of them with any trouble whatsoever. The one I'm driving now is a 14 and has 192K. Just sayin'...

The Jeep Wrangler doesn't belong in this thread anyway, because it's not a truck and it's horrible on gas. The Jeep Gladiator, while being a truck and a great 4X4 also doesn't belong in this thread because of the horrible gas mileage...but nobody drives a Jeep because they are economical . They are women friendly though...my wife picked out the 6 speed standard version because she thinks it's cool.
I have that engine in my van, love it. Powerful and decent on gas. 160,000km and no problems so far.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-09-2024, 10:36 AM

CNP, just out of curiosity what kind of mileage are you getting with your Wranglers. With the 6, we were seeing an overall average of 26 imperial mpg, which I thought was actually pretty good compared to most pickups. Like I said above, the 2020 GC with the 5.7 is pretty good overall in my opinion, especially when you factor in the performance and size of the vehicle.

I have driven lots of different AWD and 4x4 from very small to very big. I never drove an AWD that got better than 28 mpg overall and it was really small and very anemic. I would willingly pay the 4 mpg penalty for a much bigger vehicle with a ton more performance.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-09-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:41 AM

Here’s my take,

I’ve had 3 Tacos
2000, 2007, 2015

Drove the bag off all of them, still in the 2015. They don’t break ever. With the exception of lightbulbs, I don’t ever have an issue. I’ll be approaching 1000000kms in Tacos.
They have all been garbage on gas though but they are truly remarkable in reliability.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I paid 47k for my half ton. It was in January 21 though. When dealers thought the world was ending and about a month later is when the craziness started. So it likely was lucky timing on my part.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I paid 47k for my half ton. It was in January 21 though. When dealers thought the world was ending and about a month later is when the craziness started. So it likely was lucky timing on my part.
What trim level? Leather, power everything, sun roof, safety suite, etc?

Old 03-09-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
What trim level? Leather, power everything, sun roof, safety suite, etc?
No leather, but would’ve paid the $1000 for it if this truck would’ve had it. LT Z-71 with RST options added. Same trim as the little trucks and more than I was looking at. Honestly, I don’t understand a lot of options in trucks nowadays. A sunroof in a truck makes zero sense to me. Then to spend $1500 for it boggles my mind.

It also helped with preferred pricing and x-plan the full-size trucks had better discounts. Like I said, it was basically the same price for me to go full size from a small truck. I didn’t even intend to look at half tons but it ended up being the way I went.

The little trucks didn’t have factory box-liners, V-8, gun cabinet under seat, 120V power in the box or heated steering wheels.