Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Jeep was first thing I thought of. Im very familiar with old jeeps. I went to a dealer and I couldn't believe what I was looking at. First thing was price. You can spend 80,000 for one. This new jeep was just jeep in name only. Even grill was plastic. Nothing rugged or simply about these new jeeps. I started asking the salesman drivetrains questions and he had no clue except it was a gasoline engine. He could go on and on about features and stuff i had no interest in.
With Toyota and Honda there are no dealers anywhere halfway close to us but I guess with a new or newer vehicle hopefully nothing breaks anytime soon. Been looking at used Toyota trucks on line and they really seem to hold there value so I'm thinking a lot of people seem to think they are a good truck.
You can find 2 to 5 year old Wranglers with less than 30,000 klms for under $40,000, especially the 2 doors. Check auto trader, there was a whole raft of them on there a couple of days ago when I was looking. My wife is now driving a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi, 22 mpg around town, 30 mpg highway. Beautiful rig, very comfortable, 50,000 klms since bought new, zero issues except they replaced the radio head unit because the GPS/Nav went out. Other than that oil and gas.

We bought it new because in Jan 2021 it was on sale for less than a 2 year old one with 30,0000 klms. Same with the 2021 Ram 2500, it was significantly cheaper to order it than to buy a used one in April 2022. In the last while, used prices have really come down so a few years old is now a WAY better deal than new. I just bought a used Lexus LS460, 6 years old with 80,0000 klms, never winter driven, in pristine condition for $35,000 all in, a full 100,000 less than the same model new, 2023s are. Definitely worth doing a little shopping.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-08-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

na
Old 03-08-2024, 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone
Smile
Old 03-08-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4. Both reliable, both way better on fuel than a pickup, both tolerate gravel roads pretty well.
^^^ Right There All Day Long ^^^

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Reliable cheap on fuel 4x4 that is woman friendly?
Gender profiling.......................mods!

JK....having some morning fun while I'ma hurtin'
Old 03-08-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Gender profiling.......................mods!

JK....having some morning fun while I'ma hurtin'
Women I know generally don't like old gear driven transfer cases like Spicer 24 or NP 205 . manual locking hubs. Solid axle one ton trucks that ride rough or high up trucks like ford high boys. Most woman don't like older manual transmission's because not used to driving stuff like this and non hydraulic clutches are bit hard on left leg. In my mind I'm still used to thinking of power steering as a option but women might like old trucks but generally don't want to drive them which is fine with me. When I posted this thread I figured people would respond about first gen Cummins or stuff like that but I know she for whatever reason doesn't seem to appreciate good iron like I do.
I know there is a few women on here and didn't mean to offend.
I appreciate all responses because I have no clue about new vehicles. Seems like Toyota has highest used value which is a good sign of overall quality. American big three has seemed to but out quite as bit of not so good stuff that doesn't make me want to try them.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

2024 Chevy Colorado ZR2….worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-08-2024, 03:12 PM

Safest woman friendly vehicle? Uber.
Be sure to specify you want 4x4.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

I own a 2018 diesel zr2 and it definitely has its nice points I would not recommend it. Now mine actually gets run fairly hard but the shocks are flawed. The piston arm is to skinny so it can flex creating a gap in the seal. This causes dirt and mud to eat through the seal which is not replaceable. I have replaced 3 shocks because of this. CV boots are also crap gone through 5. The other issues have been do to DEF system which I should just delete

Ride is really nice and smooth. Very capable at getting into places and decent on fuel

Now his wife liking would not be as rough as I am but also would not benefit with the off road capability that comes with a zr2.

Probably better off with one of the cheaper Colorado options that would fit the purpose without paying for extras that wouldn’t be used
Old 03-08-2024, 03:28 PM

Might be better off finding a 4x4 friendly woman?
Old 03-08-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:

The 2.7 gas engine certainly isn't cheap on fuel.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:11 PM

Yes, the Tacoma isn't great on fuel. I knew that beforehand, when I bought my Offroad premium package new in 2021. Not a big deal if you're only putting on 20k km a year, and I only put 10k a year on mine. To buy any domestic half ton with the same trim level was $20k more at the time. I can buy quite a bit of fuel to make up the marginal loss in fuel mileage over any half ton with the $20K I saved. The Tacoma also holds it's resale value better then any other truck on the market. And, I don't need a half ton, so there was that. Although I can still haul 1200 lbs in box or tow 6000 lbs on my trailer if I need to. I hauled my 1000 lb skate sharpener from Calgary to GP, used a whole liter per 100 more.

The fixation on fuel economy is adorable, as long as you don't factor in initial cost and resale. Tacoma is a solid, proven, reliable truck. I'm only 5'8", so it fits me just fine, but it's not for bigger guys. And, the ride on the highway with Offroad package is excellent, I prefer it to my wife's VW Tiguan. You could do worse then buying a decent 3rd gen Tacoma.

Haters gonna hate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-08-2024 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:28 PM

Rav 4 or honda hrv or crv. Great fuel economy, awd noth8ng bad to say about either!
Old 03-08-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yes, the Tacoma isn't great on fuel. I knew that beforehand, when I bought my Offroad premium package new in 2021. Not a big deal if you're only putting on 20k km a year, and I only put 10k a year on mine. To buy any domestic half ton with the same trim level was $20k more at the time. I can buy quite a bit of fuel to make up the marginal loss in fuel mileage over any half ton with the $20K I saved. The Tacoma also holds it's resale value better then any other truck on the market. And, I don't need a half ton, so there was that. Although I can still haul 1200 lbs in box or tow 6000 lbs on my trailer if I need to. I hauled my 1000 lb skate sharpener from Calgary to GP, used a whole liter per 100 more.

The fixation on fuel economy is adorable, as long as you don't factor in initial cost and resale. Tacoma is a solid, proven, reliable truck. I'm only 5'8", so it fits me just fine, but it's not for bigger guys. And, the ride on the highway with Offroad package is excellent, I prefer it to my wife's VW Tiguan. You could do worse then buying a decent 3rd gen Tacoma.

Haters gonna hate.

Thats a perfect womans truck! lol
Old 03-08-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Haters gonna hate.

I look at mileage not just from the cost perspective, but for the range as well, in certain situations, I like having more than 500km range. I also hated how gutless my Tacoma was on a windy day, or with a small utility trailer. The best thing about the Tacoma is resale, and I was happy to get rid of mine after two years.
Old 03-08-2024, 04:42 PM

My wife really likes her Colorado. Just over 10L/100km mileage. Haven’t had any issues with it. My Jeep Wrangler is just a money pit. I usually can’t go more than a month or two with out something breaking, leaking, or not working. I wish GM would build something to compete with the Bronco and Wrangler.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Thats a perfect womans truck! lol
Ouch! Haha
Old 03-08-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I look at mileage not just from the cost perspective, but for the range as well, in certain situations, I like having more than 500km range. I also hated how gutless my Tacoma was on a windy day, or with a small utility trailer. The best thing about the Tacoma is resale, and I was happy to get rid of mine after two years.
But, I get 550 km out of a tank easy on the highway, actually pushed 620 km on a trip to Yellowknife (on fumes, but still). And it certainly isn't overly powerful, I'd call it adequate. If I wanted to go fast everywhere I'd have kept my Porsche.

The thing is to get the vehicle that suits *your* needs. I expect the Tacoma would rank high on a women friendly scale, and that doesn't threaten my man card at all. It suits my needs perfectly.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-08-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
But, I get 550 km out of a tank easy on the highway, actually pushed 620 km on a trip to Yellowknife (on fumes, but still). And it certainly isn't overly powerful, I'd call it adequate. If I wanted to go fast everywhere I'd have kept my Porsche.

The thing is to get the vehicle that suits *your* needs. I expect the Tacoma would rank high on a women friendly scale, and that doesn't threaten my man card at all. It suits my needs perfectly.

My Tacoma was okay around town, and on the highway if it was fairly flat and calm, but headed into a strong headwind, or with only a single snowmobile on an aluminum trailer, it was totally gutless, to the point, I didn't feel comfortable passing with it. And when hunting down South, where fuel isn't always handy, we had to carry a jerry can. By comparison, my F150 hardly notices my boat behind, and it will go 800km towing the
boat, and over 1000km in good conditions. I just can't justify driving a small truck, that isn't as comfortable has way less power, and burns more fuel on the highway, and has a much smaller fuel tank. Had the new Tundra been available then, I would have had one, but I was not going to keep the Tacoma another year, hoping that the new Tundra would finally be released.
On the positive side, according to reviews, the 2024 Tacoma apparently has more power and gets better fuel economy, but how much, I would have to drive one to see.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM

Sounds like it wasn't the right fit for you, and then you got something that was. That's reasonable. It's also reasonable that for some, a Tacoma is exactly what works best for them. The fact it didn't suit your needs doesn't make it a bad vehicle at all. Hence, get what suits your needs.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Sounds like it wasn't the right fit for you, and then you got something that was. That's reasonable. It's also reasonable that for some, a Tacoma is exactly what works best for them. Hence, get what suits your needs.
There is no reason that the small trucks don't get better mileage than the full sized half tons, and it looks like the new Tacoma is at least headed in that direction.
The extra power and better mileage should attract more
buyers to the small trucks. If they make enough progress in both power and economy, I may try another Tacoma in the future.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
My F150 - 3.5 Turbo Boost is very good on fuel especially highway driving but the truck it self has been a real lemon

5 -drive train replacement things at 1800 k
2 - cam phaser replacements
1 heated seat replacement
1 seat adjustor replacement
2 door handle sensor replacement
1 tranny replacement

I bought the extended 200K warranty and so glad I did, this was all covered under warranty. Think extended warranty on whatever you buy
Same as by best friends. Unfortunately he didn't have extended warranty. Trucks been an absolute lemon. Was constantly going through coils. Cam and heads failed as well as the turbo. Pathetic.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:04 PM

The new 4th Gen is apparently vastly impoved. 4 cyl turbo better low end power, improved fuel economy, the hybrid has substantially more torque, it has an 8 speed transmission instead of 6, coilover springs instead of leafs, disc instead of drum brakes in rear, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, better audio system (some of that is trim level dependent), a higher cargo box. Lots of improvements.

Not thrilled they went to aluminum body panels and hood.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL_transplant View Post
Same as by best friends. Unfortunately he didn't have extended warranty. Trucks been an absolute lemon. Was constantly going through coils. Cam and heads failed as well as the turbo. Pathetic.
I was hesitant to take a chance on the 3.5 ecoboost, and I still would not buy a 2020 or older model , but the 2021 model had improved cam chain and cam phasers, and a new tune, that offers more power, and more fuel economy. I run full synthetic oil, changed every 8000km, and I have a heated garage,so cold weather starts are quite rare, which helps with turbo life. So far over 80,000km, and zero problems..
Old 03-08-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
The new 4th Gen is apparently vastly impoved. 4 cyl turbo better low end power, improved fuel economy, the hybrid has substantially more torque, it has an 8 speed transmission instead of 6, coilover springs instead of leafs, disc instead of drum brakes in rear, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, better audio system (some of that is trim level dependent), a higher cargo box. Lots of improvements.

Not thrilled they went to aluminum body panels and hood.
I have no issue with aluminum body panels and hood, less weight is an advantage, and aluminim doesn't rust as easily as steel.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The 2.7 gas engine certainly isn't cheap on fuel.

Nope but it’s a lot truck for those that don’t live in an urban area.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I have no issue with aluminum body panels and hood, less weight is an advantage, and aluminim doesn't rust as easily as steel.
No rust and less weight is a plus, but a friend who works autobody has ranted at great length over beers about the huge PITA they are to fix, and how easy they are damaged. That would be my concern, parking lot door dings drive me wild.

Old 03-08-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I own a 2018 diesel zr2 and it definitely has its nice points I would not recommend it. Now mine actually gets run fairly hard but the shocks are flawed. The piston arm is to skinny so it can flex creating a gap in the seal. This causes dirt and mud to eat through the seal which is not replaceable. I have replaced 3 shocks because of this. CV boots are also crap gone through 5. The other issues have been do to DEF system which I should just delete

Ride is really nice and smooth. Very capable at getting into places and decent on fuel

Now his wife liking would not be as rough as I am but also would not benefit with the off road capability that comes with a zr2.

Probably better off with one of the cheaper Colorado options that would fit the purpose without paying for extras that wouldn’t be used

This is a full size truck I take it?

I was referring to the mid size gas engine, turbo etc

Looks like with many brands that come out they fix their problems and or move on .

Old 03-08-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
This is a full size truck I take it?

I was referring to the mid size gas engine, turbo etc

Looks like with many brands that come out they fix their problems and or move on .

In 2018, there was only the mid sized ZR2.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My wife really likes her Colorado. Just over 10L/100km mileage. Haven’t had any issues with it. My Jeep Wrangler is just a money pit. I usually can’t go more than a month or two with out something breaking, leaking, or not working. I wish GM would build something to compete with the Bronco and Wrangler.
What year and how many miles on jeep wrangler when started having trouble?