Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 01:12 PM

Default Hearing protection

Hi,

Im looking for new hearing protection for when upland bird hunting. Right now I have electronic muff that works well but I find them to bulky (sometimes they get in the way when aiming). Also, I have no idea where the sounds are coming from.

What do you use? I’d like to use elextronic earbuds but I’m not sure whats good and what’s not

Thank you
Old 01-08-2024, 02:21 PM

The top ones are TETRA and OTOpro. Do some googling, and try not to choke when you see the prices. Walkers and axil are reportedly OK but not top tier and have the same problems with wind and directionality.

I can’t afford either yet, so I fumble around with muffs or hunt with my bow. Hearing is pretty bad from years of guns and tools, so I’m trying to save what’s left. Let us know what you decide
Old 01-08-2024, 03:33 PM

I have some Etymotic GunsportPRO Earplugs I bought at a gun show in Vegas some years back paid $250 US, they work well can be turned up to 5x, sitting in a blind its amazing what you can hear, one day a raven squawked behind me scared thr crap out me I thought it was a grizz coming in for lunch.
Old 01-08-2024, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tetra and Otopro looks great but are way out of my budget right now. Walkers and GunsportsPro looks good too but I’m worry about them falling off while hunting. Seems like I could attach a strap to the Walkers but not sure about the GunssportPro.
Axil has one called GS Extreme thats on sale right now and comes with a strap to secure them. That could be a good option. I’ll read more reviews before to buy though
Old 01-08-2024, 04:21 PM

The Etymotic GunsportPRO are tied together with a nylon cord behind your neck you can pull them both out let them hang until you plug them back in your ears
Old 01-10-2024, 11:33 AM

So I ordered the one from Axil. Reviews are good and it wasn’t expensive. I dont expect it to be as good as a $1400 device but hopefully better than what I got at canadian tire a few years ago. At the very least, it will be less bulky than what I have right now.

Its a crazy cold in Yellowknife right now but as soon as it warms up a bit I’ll give it a try and will let you know what I think.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-10-2024, 05:47 PM

Tried the Axil S Extreme 2.0
The buds are quite short
Couldn't get them to stay tight in my ears...
They stay "in" with the over ear wires but don't stay snug enough to block gunfire
Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 PM

I just use good old regular earplugs. packed in pairs, carry them everywhere, then you always got em, never hurts to lose em.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:36 PM

I bought a set of the walkers about a year or so ago for range use.

Mainly to be able to still hear regular talking and still have muted sound for shooting.

I went this design as they still allow for in ear, to be small form factor, and have the neck band, so they are not easily lost or misplaced. Battery power on these has been awesome with several trips to the range before even thinking about recharge. The app is easy to use on the phone for adjusting the setting, and can still use with the phone for calls or other things right away.

I generally video my range visits on the phone with a spotting scope adapter, and can quickly play back the video with sound if I need to trace a shot somewhere that I may have missed in the scope.

The best part, I was able to find them online at costco for the cheapest when I bought them.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-xv-3-0-headset/
Old 01-11-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I bought a set of the walkers about a year or so ago for range use.

Mainly to be able to still hear regular talking and still have muted sound for shooting.

I went this design as they still allow for in ear, to be small form factor, and have the neck band, so they are not easily lost or misplaced. Battery power on these has been awesome with several trips to the range before even thinking about recharge. The app is easy to use on the phone for adjusting the setting, and can still use with the phone for calls or other things right away.

I generally video my range visits on the phone with a spotting scope adapter, and can quickly play back the video with sound if I need to trace a shot somewhere that I may have missed in the scope.

The best part, I was able to find them online at costco for the cheapest when I bought them.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-xv-3-0-headset/
Those look good too.
I was looking at the Atacs.
https://www.walkersgameear.com/sport-earbuds/

But if Costco carries those, I may have to reconsider.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:01 PM

Isotunes for me, so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Those look good too.

They carried them when I was looking, but don't know if they do anymore.

I generally have a hard time with keeping the in ear plug in, especially when talking, chewing gum, as they tend to wiggle out. I always tended to go with the full over the ear muff, or like you posted with a bit of a tab that rides over the ear to keep the plugs in place.

With the walkers I find they stay put, plus they have that small form factor right at the ear so there is no getting in the way. Plus is there is someone at the range on the bench next to you and they have a "next" level loud braked rifle its nice to double up on the protection with an over the ear full set on top of these. Its rare, but it does happen. I didn't have a second set one time and just packed up and left as it was just unbearable.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:34 AM

Default Hearing Protection

SRS Tactical in the Calgary area ( 403-453-0040) has Peltor TEP-100 and 200 ear buds.
100s are about $625 and 200s are $750. This is the hearing protection of choice by US Navy Seals. Expensive yes but cheaper than expensive hearing aids.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:48 AM

Default Peltor 100

Here is a pic of the Peltor 100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peltor.jpg (87.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-14-2024, 04:44 PM

I had the chance to try my new Axil Extreme 2.0 a few times now.

The work well once they are fit snug in your ear. But fitting them snug is not always easy. They are perfect for my right ear but its harder to pot them on correctly in the left. I wish they would make them a tini bit smaller (I already use the smallest rubber tip).
But one they are in my ears, they do the job right. The sound is good but I haven’t tried in strong wind.
It’s definitely an upgrade for me.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:41 PM

I just picked up a set of DeciBullz. They are a mold your own type plugs with different ear cups. 3 different sizes of both rubber and foam. The ones I got have a sound "check valve" in them that work with the same principle that the electronics do, but they aren't electronic, so no sound amplification. They were $100 but they do come with the lanyard and a case, but still expensive.
One nice thing about them is that they are recordable should you feel the desire to do so.
I've been wearing them at work but I have not had the chance to shoot with them.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafternk View Post
SRS Tactical in the Calgary area ( 403-453-0040) has Peltor TEP-100 and 200 ear buds.
100s are about $625 and 200s are $750. This is the hearing protection of choice by US Navy Seals. Expensive yes but cheaper than expensive hearing aids.
Had Peltor 200 iirc a few years back. Money wasted imo. Not having BT at this day and age is a shortcoming. Dont think they had ANC. One plug crapped out after a few months, got a replacement set which also died. Didn't bother with the second warranty claim.
Just an expensive ear plug
Old 02-15-2024, 07:12 AM

Another option is the Otto Engineering NoizeBarrier Micro Rechargeable Electronic Earplug Kit.
I tried the Walkers and found them very inconsistent with battery life and just didn't seem to seal as well.
The Otto's so far are much better than the walker's i had.

Brian
Old 02-15-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Those look good too.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Walker Atacs and I must say, I am more than impressed.
Not just with the fit and feel, but with the amplification. The sound quality is pretty good, almost rivalling my hearing aids which cost me 10x more.
It is much better than what I get out of the Walker Razors.
Deciphering sound direction I think is what impressed me most. Because the pickup is on the side of each ear piece, and amplifies only on that side, it is very easy to tell direction of sound. Which is great for hunting. My hearing aids have the microphone at the back, which makes deciphering direction of sounds that are in front of you, very difficult.

I had the Atacs on for part of the day, using them for phone calls and streaming a bit of music, and after 2 hours the battery level was still at 99%.
Callers on the other line also commented on how clear I sounded.

They came with a bunch of sizes of foam inserts with varying degrees of stiffness, so it wasn't hard to find the perfect fit.
It doesn't really show it in any of the videos, but the way they attach is a foam tip on the ear piece which you compress and insert just like an ear plug, and then the over-the-ear clip holds them up. They are attached with a rubber-wrapped wire at the back so that they are even harder to lose, and there only needs to be one charging port.
I don't see them coming out accidentally, even when lying in a layout blind and careening my head around constantly.

I really wish I would have spent the $200 a couple years ago.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:03 AM

Yea, they are amazing on battery usage, or non usage.

For the razor VX I get about 4-5 range trips before recharge. And I video every trip, and play back there, and when I get home, and use the VX's, and they hold a long charge.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:16 AM

I didn't even know hunters used ear protection except like for target shooting.
My ears ring all the time and I can't understand half the words people are saying to me if any background noise but could be as bunch of other stuff that contributed as well
Old 03-11-2024, 12:01 PM

CBintheNorth, who did you purchase the Walker Atacs earbuds from? I see Victory Ridge Sports and Sporteque as my only 2 Canadian options and one of them have the Atacs backordered.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knacker View Post
CBintheNorth, who did you purchase the Walker Atacs earbuds from? I see Victory Ridge Sports and Sporteque as my only 2 Canadian options and one of them have the Atacs backordered.

Thanks
Londero Sports.
If you stay on the page long enough there will be a pop up for 5% off as well.
https://www.londerosports.com/catalo...esult/?q=Atacs
Old 03-11-2024, 04:55 PM

Default Peltor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Had Peltor 200 iirc a few years back. Money wasted imo. Not having BT at this day and age is a shortcoming. Dont think they had ANC. One plug crapped out after a few months, got a replacement set which also died. Didn't bother with the second warranty claim.
Just an expensive ear plug
That is some bad luck or a bad batch. I've had mine for 6 years and hunt uplands birds in 2 countries 7 months of the year without a failure. I also wear them on motorcycle trips because my Harley pipes are loud by design. Never had an issue with my Peltors.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Londero Sports.
If you stay on the page long enough there will be a pop up for 5% off as well.
https://www.londerosports.com/catalo...esult/?q=Atacs
Thank you!