Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Ruger acquires Marlin

In case anyone wasn't aware, Prophet River posted the following in the sponsor forum.

As many have now heard Ruger has acquired Marlin firearms. We are unsure how this will affect availability in the short to mid term. (and long term as far as models and pricing)

https://ruger.com/corporate/marlin.html
Old 10-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Default Yup

Looking forward to some great new firearms from this acquisition !

Two of my favorites !
Old 10-02-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post

Two of my favorites !
Agreed!! Hopefully they maintain good quality control as the Marlins didn’t fair sell when Remington took them over. Still searching for that gotta have .35 Remington 45/70 and either a .347 or .44 mag.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:27 AM

To be fair to Remington and the Marlin issue, when Remington bought Marlin, Marlin was already producing crap guns and had been for about 6 or 7 years. The machinery was so old and worn out that when Remington moved production they left almost all of it behind. Problem with the move is they also lost all the long term staff that knew how to make Marlins and there weren't real good drawings of the guns. It took a few years but the Marlins that were being produced the last ten years were actually very good quality. I have a 2015 Guide gun in 45-70 that will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. It is finished and fit nearly as well as the JM gun I have from the late 80s.

Also, the CNC made 700s are probably some of the most accurately built actions ever made commercially. They rival custom blue printed 700 actions and are built to tighter tolerances than even the Stiller. Factory Rem barrels however, like most factory barrels are nothing to write home about.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Two of my favorites !
Not bad at all.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-03-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
To be fair to Remington and the Marlin issue, when Remington bought Marlin, Marlin was already producing crap guns and had been for about 6 or 7 years. The machinery was so old and worn out that when Remington moved production they left almost all of it behind. Problem with the move is they also lost all the long term staff that knew how to make Marlins and there weren't real good drawings of the guns. It took a few years but the Marlins that were being produced the last ten years were actually very good quality. I have a 2015 Guide gun in 45-70 that will shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. It is finished and fit nearly as well as the JM gun I have from the late 80s.

Also, the CNC made 700s are probably some of the most accurately built actions ever made commercially. They rival custom blue printed 700 actions and are built to tighter tolerances than even the Stiller. Factory Rem barrels however, like most factory barrels are nothing to write home about.
What model 700 actions are these? Interested in them and surprised to hear they are above Stiller!

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2020, 07:58 PM
Banned

Well played Ruger. Should be a good thing.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Agreed!! Hopefully they maintain good quality control as the Marlins didn’t fair sell when Remington took them over. Still searching for that gotta have .35 Remington 45/70 and either a .347 or .44 mag.
Were you peeking in my gun safe ?!?
Old 10-03-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Were you peeking in my gun safe ?!?
Ummmm sure... wait no of course not!! Lol

I’ve always loved lever guns. Sold my one last year as it wasn’t quite what I wanted. Would love a Winchester Saskatchewan commemorative edition but those are fairly hard to come by stateside! Saw one back 12 years ago and should have bought it for the $450 they were asking then... personally though I think the marlins are a stronger action and at the price point a better gun.