Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 12:52 PM

Default Internet company calling.

So, received a call from local provider, wondering if I'm happy with internet speed. They "noticed some weird stuff happening" on it. I have the 15mbps download speed on mine, 67.10/mo, all in, think she said it had 600GB limit, I use 110 or so in a heavy month of streaming etc.
"I'm satisfied with what I have" I say, it buffers a little on some sites depending on time of day and where the site is located, no big deal, I can live with it as it isn't something pervasive. "But, but, I'm seeing up to 17-18mbps speeds you are getting" she says. And your point? WTH do I care?

Had 3 or so calls on it in last two wks. Last one was Wed. Boosted me to try 100mbps til today ( still hasn't called or changed it back yet).

I noticed the 15mbps plan is not available anymore right in the beginning, didn't say anything about that to her, and she didn't mention it either. Next plan up is 20mbps, 75.00 + modem rental + tax, be pushing 90.00/mo.

Still getting the odd bit of buffering at the beginning of a vid occasionally on 100mbps feed. The odd vid freeze too, some of that is website.
Checking speeds, anywhere from 0.25 down, 0.33 up, to 50 up, .018 down, 56down and 28up, in a 5min space. Next nite, same time, 68down, 33 up, the 30 down and 33 up, and it's continued like that over the weekend. 100mbps plan is 129.00/mo + rental and tax. Hmmmmm. Seems like a scam, ya think?

Betting they don't like that cheap plan anymore and want customers off it? I wonder why they called????? Can't see a good reason to change what I have.
See how the next call goes.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:46 PM

They don’t call you unless they have something to sell you that will benefit them. When I get those calls as soon as I hear I’m from Telus/ Rogers Bell or bubba’s wireless , I just hang up. If I need something I will call them.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:51 PM

I have Oxio, they use the Shaw system. 75mbps unlimited usage, no plan to sign, 49 bucks a month, could not be happier. I was with Telus, limited usage 10mbps 100 bucks a month, when I canceled, all of a sudden they could do better than Oxio by a bit. But it was a 2 yr contract and then jump to their regular rates, told them to sit and rotate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-12-2024, 08:16 PM

Oxio does look OK, but, not available here, yet, according to their chat help.

I called existing today, gal didn't start til 2;00pm, left a message that I didn't like the upgrade, put it back as was, they did, but, she didn't call back either.
Interesting how the "internet plans in your area" have changed, still plenty of smoke and mirrors to them. See 2 yr contract offers on a few, not happening.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 PM

Shaw seem to billed one month ahead , I find out after about a year later . Usually you can get a better deal switching between Telus or Shaw after your 2 year plan ends
Old 03-13-2024, 04:40 PM

Check out Primus. They use
Shaw’s cable lines. They have a deal for Costco members. Two months ago I switched and they had a deal at the time. $35 a month, for 75 Mbit, introductory price for two years, no contract. Unlimited download. Seems to be reliable service so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk