Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 11:18 AM

Default Mexico travel ideas

For those that know Mexico (I’ve never been) I am wondering if there is a good destination on the Caribbean side that is safe, clean, reasonably priced, nice beach, good food, tours available to see Mayan ruins, self guided or reasonably priced guided trips for bonefish and baby tarpon…

Maybe a big wish list but maybe something is around that fits the bill?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-06-2024, 11:43 AM

I refuse to ever travel to Mexico due to all the resorts being owned by the Cartels .

Your should be safe there shouldn't be a problem unless a rival cartel wants to chase there business away and shoot a few dozen guest .

In Acapulco the cartels were arguing about who owns what and took 42 or 52 guest out back and executed them . i had been down there a few times before this and that ended it for me. Or the 13 morons who lost there way on some road and were all shot and the 3 babies still in there car seat burned alive .

See I don't like giving a dime to those animals period or supporting criminals like this.

The sooner we all find different place to travel the less we give them .Not one red cent .

Only 37000 murders last year ,should be safe.

Last edited by JD848; 03-06-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:58 AM

My partner is in Tulum right now. Dreams Resort. No kids, 5 star, exceptional and armed guards. 44acre resort and fishing tours available.

Not a big eater but she says the quality of food is the best and she has seen many other resorts.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:11 PM

^^ We returned from just outside Tulum this past February, they will have direct flights out of Canada next year. No complaints, the resort was away from everything and small adults' only.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My partner is in Tulum right now. Dreams Resort. No kids, 5 star, exceptional and armed guards. 44acre resort and fishing tours available.

Not a big eater but she says the quality of food is the best and she has seen many other resorts.
We were in Playa del Carmen from February 9 -20. Armed guards passing by on the beach several times a day. On the Sunday it was raining we walked 5th avenue. Saw Marines, policia and the national guard. Everyone was behalving themselves.

BW
Old 03-06-2024, 12:25 PM

Instead of the Caribbean side give Huatulco on the Pacific side a look. Lots of very good accommodations plus direct flights from Calgary. Weather is very consistantly hot and sunny - typically +30 C every day. Good ocean fishing when in season. Lots to do in the area, good beaches and with very good restaurants. We have been multiple times and have found it safer than the Cancun coast. Lots of Canadians. Cheers!
Old 03-06-2024, 01:23 PM

Been looking at prices for Cuba and Mexico. Appears to be a big jump over last year.

Cuba was $1700 for two weeks last year and now $3900 for the same place. Crazy.

Mexico isn’t cheap anymore either.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-06-2024, 02:01 PM

We're going to Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel on Friday for about 10 days - been to both before, and other parts of Mexico many times. Never, ever had any issues with safety.

If you don't have young kids or you're not 18-25, get an AirBnB and skip the all inclusive thing.

You can get beautiful fully-equipped condos with rooftop pools, a gym, front desk staff/security and underground parking for $150-$300 per night easily. They're everywhere.

The travel experience of staying off of the resort in 10000x better. You'll eat better food, drink better drinks, and find better places to just sit & people watch while having a coffee.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:16 PM

We’ve been going to the PV area for over 20yrs. We always do a condo or a house and like said above it is way better than a resort. This Xmas we stayed in a brand new 3bdrm condo right on the beach. Heated pool beachside with a gate to the beach. Pool on the roof. Security and underground parking. Paid $200/night. Hit up Costco the first day and stocked up. There are a couple big supermarkets and the local markets.

I’ve done a resort a couple times and I get the appeal. Turn your brain off. Eat, drink and be merry but the cost is getting ridiculous versus doing things on your own.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
We were in Playa del Carmen from February 9 -20. Armed guards passing by on the beach several times a day. On the Sunday it was raining we walked 5th avenue. Saw Marines, policia and the national guard. Everyone was behalving themselves.

BW

Absolutely. Resorts generate $ and even the druggies know that....unless you are from Quebec then they will likely kill you.....
Old 03-06-2024, 02:55 PM

Just got back from Mexico. This trip we stayed at the Dreams Riviera Cancun. No complaints at all. Located just north of Puerto Morelos. We walked the beach into town one day. No issue, lots of folks making the same trek.

We have been to Mexico now 8 times. Huatulco once, the rest have been in the Mayan Riviera area. Never had any issues.

All the resorts can pretty well supply whatever type tour you want.

Playa del Carmen has grown a ton. Puerto Morelos still fairly small.

Prices have gone up quite a bit- but so has everything else.

Realize tipping is part of the culture there, it’s a big part of their income. This past trip I was chatting with a guy, he told me the daily wage was about $12.50 per 8 hour shift.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Been looking at prices for Cuba and Mexico. Appears to be a big jump over last year.

Fuel prices in Cuba quadrupled as of Feb. 1, the economy has been going downhill steadily, doesn't sound like a recipe for a happy holiday, speaking as one who thought of going there.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-06-2024, 05:02 PM

xkalak, blue bonefish. Fly to Cancún and drive there.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:46 PM

I'm not a big resort guy, tried a few and found that they were pretty lame. I feel that if I'm going somewhere and it needs to be surrounded by armed guards, I don't need to be there. If I'm going to another county I like to find out a bit about the place and do some exploring. It's like coming to Alberta and only going to West Edmonton Mall.

I had a co-worker from Merida and it sounds like it's less of a gong show than many of the resort dominated areas. I guess that you'd be fishing in the Gulf vs the Caribbean, but likely the same.

We just got back from spending a month in Panama. Spent time in Panama City, on the Pacific Coast, Bocas Del Toro on the Caribbean side and some time in the hills. Way better than Cuba, DR, Mexico etc. Go to the beaches and walk around the cities and there's nobody hassling you to buy their crap or begging for money. Pretty impressive infrastructure in most places (tap water is safe to drink almost everywhere). I didn't go fishing, however there is apparently good fishing on both the Pacific and Caribbean side.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:14 PM

Haven’t done Mexico since 2015 except a free 4 days trip last April from work( a 10th year anniversary all expences paid) and likely won’t be going there again. Hate the resorts, hate the armed guards and a barb wire on the perimeter fences( same was in Dominican rep). Will never go back to Cuba either.
Nothing beats a small Caribbean Island of St. Maarten for us. This is our 20th year going there. Today is our last day in paradise… flying home tomorrow…
Already looking forward the next year trip.
We were joined by our friends from Michigan here this year and they fell in love with place too, already asking us if we will take them with us next year.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:52 PM

So this is year two for wife and I staying in San José del Cabo we booked 70 days last year and 105 this year. I have done a modest amount of traveling in Mexico both coasts, Dominican and even Cuba.
I wish I would have found this place many years ago. Nicest beaches every [no weeds] . Walkable and swimable.
As the saying goes there is no bad days in Cabo. Cabo I understand is party city but San Jose is more relaxed. The airport is actually just out side of San Jose [ ticker symbol is SJD ].
We rent a condo[ we actually drive down and back] so don't really know much about the hotels but friends came down last year and stayed at the Krystal in San Jose. Lots to do like Whale watching[the humpback's migrate here until the end of March], deep sea fishing, the famed Art Walk every Thursday evening. Golf is off the charts expensive $200.00USD at Palmilla but awesome views and comfort station [ beer and food come with the green fees]
If I can help anyone feel free to ask but this place gets my vote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:24 PM

Default Mexico

Just got back from SAN Jose on Saturday. 7th time going there. Spent a day in Cabo but the hassle from the locals to buy their crap was unreal. NEVER going back. Prices have gotten insane in the last 5 years as well. Been to Mexico 13 times but I’m done now. I do feel safe in SAN Jose and enjoy the art walk on Thursday but the prices of everything has gotten to the point that we will be going elsewhere in the future.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:19 PM

I’ve done about 15 beach holidays over the years. My least favourite area is Cancun Mayan riviera area. I really liked the Cabo area other than with small kids, the pools are cold because it gets cold after dark there. The ocean is incredible there, though. PV is great as well. I really liked Cuba in the two trips I’ve been there. The people are very nice. Not always trying to sell you crap you don’t want. Had some really good snorkel tours there, along with some great catamaran fun that was included with the resort fees. Costa Rica ( guanacaste) is my favourite, but very , very hot. Best tours I’ve ever experienced. Great beaches, snorkeling, surfing, friendly people. Did all inclusive and VRBO. Both were great. But super hot. I rescued a 16 year old boy one time that was standing on a surf board and crying because he couldn’t walk across the hot sand. Threw him over my shoulder, and hauled him and his surfboard to the grass. These days, a week in hunting camp between Sept 17 and dec 1 is about the most desirable place to be for me. Alberta kicks Ass
Old 03-07-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Mama and I have gone twice a year for the last 10 years. Cuba once, Dominican a couple times, Mexico a bunch. Typically a week around the end of November into December and 2 weeks mid February or into March. Spent 9 days in Huatulco Nov/DEc 23. Not going this winter, prices are stupid!! Huatulco is very nice! Rivera is great also, but not for that amount of money!!
Big increase in the last couple years, HUGE increase in the last10!!!

Stayed at Las Brisas and Secrets in Huatulco. Both were good, but secrets seems to have slipped since Hyatt group took over. Check out La Playa Entegra (public beach) . Snorkeling, restaurants. La Crucita is the town nearby and worth checking out. Seems very safe to me.

Maya side we have stayed many times at Bahia Principe, Akumal section. Nice resort and at Akumal you have the run of all 4 resorts. Grand Palladium is good, Valenten is smaller and adults only. Wife went there with a friend and liked it. Barcelo at the Palace or the new Adults only are both nice and again run of the other 4 resorts. Snorkeling off the beach and turtle right there.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:51 AM

We just got back from a trip from Calgary to Puerto Valarta late sunday night.

Went with Sunwing to the Riu Jalisco all inclusive from Sunday to Sunday.

I've never done the resort thing or all inclusive before but my Queen is all about and is a sun seeker. I'm not.

We had a lot of fun, the resort was nice, the food was good.

I'm not a fan of Mexican beer.

I really enjoyed the fishing excursion I booked, Loved seeing the Humpbacks playing while I was hooked on a double header with big Tuna. Also enjoyed walking to Bucerias and touring the market etc.

The value can't be beat, airfare, food, drinks, travel to and from the Airport, excellent service for $1,800 with double occupancy is a bargain in my mind.

I would do it again, just not right away.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
For those that know Mexico (I’ve never been) I am wondering if there is a good destination on the Caribbean side that is safe, clean, reasonably priced, nice beach, good food, tours available to see Mayan ruins, self guided or reasonably priced guided trips for bonefish and baby tarpon…

Maybe a big wish list but maybe something is around that fits the bill?
Check out this article. It looks like the info. in there might tick a lot of boxes for you:

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/yo...iviera/7713492
Old 03-07-2024, 05:33 PM

Leaving for Cabo SAN Lucas this Saturday, we’ve never been there before, we will be renting an apartment and renting a car looking forward to this.
Been to Puerto Vallarta many times, Ricon Guayabitos about a dozen times we always rent a condo, apartment or small boutique hotel never had an issue.
Been to Cancun ones and the Mayan I hated it never want to go there ever again.
Huatulco is also a favorite was there about 20 years ago.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Leaving for Cabo SAN Lucas this Saturday, we’ve never been there before, we will be renting an apartment and renting a car looking forward to this.
Been to Puerto Vallarta many times, Ricon Guayabitos about a dozen times we always rent a condo, apartment or small boutique hotel never had an issue.
Been to Cancun ones and the Mayan I hated it never want to go there ever again.
Huatulco is also a favorite was there about 20 years ago.
We were in Rincon Guayabitos last April and caught the end of the dorado season. We used Alicia's for the guide and boat, right on the beach just down from the Decameron hotel. Four of us - price was great and we came back with 9 good sized dorado. Alicia's also has a restaurant and they prepared a nice lunch for us from our catch.

If you're staying at a condo or Air BnB, they'll fillet your catch and send it home with you. Really nice area - just...for the love of God...don't go during Holy Week. That quaint little fishing village turns into Mexican Burning Man because the whole country has the week off...

https://www.facebook.com/aliciastoursguayabitos/
Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
We were in Rincon Guayabitos last April and caught the end of the dorado season. We used Alicia's for the guide and boat, right on the beach just down from the Decameron hotel. Four of us - price was great and we came back with 9 good sized dorado. Alicia's also has a restaurant and they prepared a nice lunch for us from our catch.

If you're staying at a condo or Air BnB, they'll fillet your catch and send it home with you. Really nice area - just...for the love of God...don't go during Holy Week. That quaint little fishing village turns into Mexican Burning Man because the whole country has the week off...

https://www.facebook.com/aliciastoursguayabitos/
Been to Alicia’s many times (Koral) is her real name, and runs that restaurant mainly with her dad and mom in the kitchen.
She serves up great margaritas.
Alicia’s is a gringo bar.

And yes been there during Christmas, Easter and Sanamanta,the beach is super packed but a beautiful view with all the umbrellas.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Really nice area - just...for the love of God...don't go during Holy Week. That quaint little fishing village turns into Mexican Burning Man because the whole country has the week off...
This x1000. Easter and Holy Week are nuts. We’ve done Bucerias twice during this time and recently this Xmas. Easter/Holy Week were busier than Xmas. All the locals come down to the beach towns to enjoy their time off. Out tattoo artist and his family actually head to Guadalajara cause it’s just too busy.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:19 PM

We have gone to PV every February except this year(planning our bucket list).. Never disappointed but getting expensive.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Just got back from SAN Jose on Saturday. 7th time going there. Spent a day in Cabo but the hassle from the locals to buy their crap was unreal. NEVER going back. Prices have gotten insane in the last 5 years as well. Been to Mexico 13 times but I’m done now. I do feel safe in SAN Jose and enjoy the art walk on Thursday but the prices of everything has gotten to the point that we will be going elsewhere in the future.
Same experience in November couldn’t believe how expensive it is now. We stayed at the Krystal all I can say is DON’T brutal service when we actually got some. We had to go buy our own water and beer for the room that was supposed to be stocked. The hotel was half capacity of Mexicans from Mexico city area. They got served first ever time now matter the size or duration of the tips. Not again.

Fishing with gordo banks pangas was the exception to the trip.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:35 AM

Default Royalton cancun

We stayed at royalton splash after Christmas. Good for kids. Massive pools and water park. Food was good. Felt safe the whole time. Not perfect but pretty good overall
Old 03-08-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Just got back from Mexico. This trip we stayed at the Dreams Riviera Cancun. No complaints at all. Located just north of Puerto Morelos. We walked the beach into town one day. No issue, lots of folks making the same trek.

We have been to Mexico now 8 times. Huatulco once, the rest have been in the Mayan Riviera area. Never had any issues.

All the resorts can pretty well supply whatever type tour you want.

Playa del Carmen has grown a ton. Puerto Morelos still fairly small.

Prices have gone up quite a bit- but so has everything else.

Realize tipping is part of the culture there, it’s a big part of their income. This past trip I was chatting with a guy, he told me the daily wage was about $12.50 per 8 hour shift.
You had to be right beside us. We like the Excellence Riviera and there is a Dreams on each side of us. If you haven't done it already when you've been there, bring your fishing rod. Walk south on the beach a few hundred yards until the resorts stop and the private property starts. Fish from there up to the black & white UNAM pier. Catch something every year.

To the OP, and I'm not sure it's been mentioned above, but other than resorts able to hook you up, there are usually locals walking the beach selling everything from snorkelling, scuba diving and fishing excursions. I have gone three times in the last ten years. Catch fish every time. A half day excursion cost me about $200 US a few years ago.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:59 AM

I don't go to resorts, I book AirBNB. Take a look at the condos at Half Moon bay, near Akumal. Very quiet and great snorkelling right out front. No resorts on this bay. a Couple nice restaurants on the bay. About 30 minutes North of Tulum. Then you can go fly fishing, South, At Punta Allen. Bonefish, tarpon and permit.