Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Default Notley in Pincher 11:00 AM tomorrow for Castle announcement??

I just heard from someone pretty reliable that she'll be announcing what the Castle area park will constitute or sumpin.......

I'm thinking concerned sportsmen better show up for the. Q and A part at least.

Anyone hear about this?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 01-19-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM

Have not heard. Would love to be there but can't. Scary time for local future generations of sportsman and what may come.
Hope there will still be some access.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Haven't heard anything. I am off work tomorrow. Might go to heckle.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 PM

...great.... probably more reduction of access to the public.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:53 PM

I am very very worried about my access to

Hunting
Fishing
Back country tenting
Old 01-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Hunting
Fishing
Back country tenting
Same, any sort of elk hunting opportunity now for me in the province will take much more planning if we lose the hunting privelege.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post

Hunting
Fishing
Back country tenting
Ditto. I'm paranoid about all of the Y2Y initiatives and the various versions of same.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM

I hope some good guys (and gals) can make it.
The rest of us will owe you one!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

I want to help but not sure what to do??? Just show up and boo the announcement?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 PM

Get some pointed, clear, questions.

Ask them loudly.

Advocate for the hunting, fishing and camping tradition that the area had and the need to preserve it.

If they say we'll still have hunting fishing and reasonable random camping (10 days monitored).... then..... say thanks I guess.

This just feels sneaky, and underhanded.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 PM
Banned

This will be very interesting to see the results. Should be a good indication of what's going to happen down the pipe and what they will try and get away with.

Let the lesson continue.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Various conservation groups and "outdoorsman" groups have lobbied government(s) to to protect the Castle and create a "wilderness area" since 1965. Think Ghost, Siffluer, White Goat Wilderness Areas.

Now, because of the cumulative impact of decades of petroleum development, logging, indiscriminate off-road vehicle use, commercial development and government mismanagement, the Castle region can no longer even be considered to be a wilderness area anymore.

The primary goal now for the management of the Castle area will be restoration rather than the protection of the original pristine wilderness it once was. There's been plenty of time and opportunity for stakeholders to get involved with the long on-going "management" planning and discussion processes.

Difficult decisions no doubt have already been made and I applaud a government for finally having the guts and determination to manage and protect whats left, and to do what the majority of Albertans want done in the region.

Trying to disrupt or upstage an announcement event, even if there is one, will just be perceived by the media and the general public as another group of special interest whiners.

If you're perceived as not part of the solution - you're now part of the problem.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:09 AM

Oh so it's not gonna sound like a motocross race in there anymore? That's a shame.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Oh so it's not gonna sound like a motocross race in there anymore? That's a shame.
Well since you wont be camping anywhere but the couple little camp grounds (that atvs were never a problem). Ya i guess your good.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 AM
Banned

Such unity among us outdoorsmen. Everyone willing to give up someone else's rights.

If you didn't like ATVs, there are plenty of areas where ATVs are not allowed.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 AM

I hunt, I fish, I hike, i tent, camp, quad sled and bike. Alone and with my young kids. Why cant we leave the already designated and even the trails that are in place for quad and bike access? Instead of kicking the ohv out. Couldnt the money be better spent on enforcement? As in hiring more officers? Have officers assigned to a certain park/rec area? This would provide more jobs to the province. So is government turning this area into paid camping sites? What are their plans that would put money back into economy? That doesnt restrict a certain group of users that have been using this area for years. A ski hill? That not only destroys a large chunk of habitat but is something that we would have to pay to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
I hunt, I fish, I hike, i tent, camp, quad sled and bike. Alone and with my young kids. Why cant we leave the already designated and even the trails that are in place for quad and bike access? Instead of kicking the ohv out. Couldnt the money be better spent on enforcement? As in hiring more officers? Have officers assigned to a certain park/rec area? This would provide more jobs to the province. So is government turning this area into paid camping sites? What are their plans that would put money back into economy? That doesnt restrict a certain group of users that have been using this area for years. A ski hill? That not only destroys a large chunk of habitat but is something that we would have to pay to use?

x2! a little policing would have been all that was needed.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
x2! a little policing would have been all that was needed.
Yes, instead what they did was hire a bunch of college kids for the summer, bought a bunch of new vehicle and put Alberta Parks sticker on them and had them drive around all summer. They made passes through the campgrounds and toured the back roads. Not sure what they were actually supposed to be doing. Never talked to them or see them talk to anyone. Probably at least 6 different vehicles doing this in several trips up this summer. Sometimes 2 different vehicles come through same campground within minutes of each other. Sure hope that Carbon tax don't hurt them at the pumps next summer.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 PM

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...89842127702245

Quote:
As the President of the CNP QUAD SQUAD,I wish to express my embarrassment that some people showed our represented Government such irresponsible behavior at the Parks Management Announcement in Pincher Creek. This type of behavior in no way is condoned by the Quad Squad and serves absolutely no purpose. We urge all members to follow protocol and flood the government via the proper channels, by completing the on line public input, via mail or email to your local MLA, or direct to the Minister's Office. Give constructive criticism with your ideas on how OHV use can work in the Park under controlled and safe conditions. This is simply a draft plan and can be changed. It is not yet legislated. The Quad Squad will continue to lobby the Government along with support from the Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association. Everyone is welcome to post their thoughts, but please do not post any malicious or threatening posts on our Face Book. We respect you. Please respect us.
Gary Clark
President of the CNP Quad Squad.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Thanks will do
Old 01-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post

I agree . I think this is a problem for all alberta , the lack of authority in the bush . More respect is needed