Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 AM

Default String Problems

Im having some string issues....

I got my D-Loop replaced and since then been having bad string twist. Every 3rd arrow peep isnt in line, D-Loop sometimes on the wrong side of string and peep sight has popped out twice now.

Any ideas?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Odd

How old is your string? Condition? Is your new loop tied on in the proper arrangement and knots tight? What I mean by proper arrangement is are the knots opposite to one another, terminating on either side of the string? If you are a RH shooter the top knot should be terminated on the right side and bottom on the left as you’re looking at the bow from the rear. Can you turn the knots of the loop on the serving easily or with some effort?

I’m guessing your peep isn’t tied into your string if it is popping out on you. Have you marked or measured peep position on your string as a reference to try and assess what is happening up there? Obviously it is related to whatever issue is manifesting itself as it didn’t happen before. Just garnering as much info as possible.

Last edited by Big Lou; 05-11-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-11-2020, 12:15 PM

Havent marked the peep. I had it replaced at the shop and looks like it was dont properly, but they did said they were using a heavier material to prevent the pre-mature wear that may be caused by my release.

The Dloop is move-able pretty easily, which i assumed was due to the thicker material. I havent marked the peep to see whats happening....weould love too.....but i need to get it back to the shop to have it put back in....ive been to the shop 4 times in the last month.....driving me nuts.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Agreed with big Lou - If you have verified the d-loops are tied one to the right and one to the left (not both the same way which could cause twisting on the string) the other thing is to check is both connections are equally tight.

If one is loose and one is tight, it will cause a twist to happen and move your peep out of alignment (assuming that was installed correctly). The one that is tight will twist your sting out of alignment versus both of them "counter acting" each others twisting force.

As far as I know, d loops should be tight. not loose -if they are too loose the mushroomed end can pop through releasing everything at an inopportune time. trying to re-tie that in the field can really suck with no extra loop material.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Awesome,

Thanks, Ill take a look. String is still factory but in super good condition 2 years old, but i have run a lot of arrows through it.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:03 PM

Where are you located? Also post up a pic of you d-loop and peep.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agreed with big Lou - If you have verified the d-loops are tied one to the right and one to the left (not both the same way which could cause twisting on the string) the other thing is to check is both connections are equally tight.

If one is loose and one is tight, it will cause a twist to happen and move your peep out of alignment (assuming that was installed correctly). The one that is tight will twist your sting out of alignment versus both of them "counter acting" each others twisting force.

As far as I know, d loops should be tight. not loose -if they are too loose the mushroomed end can pop through releasing everything at an inopportune time. trying to re-tie that in the field can really suck with no extra loop material.
Thank you for elaborating on and answering where I was going with my questions EZ. You answered where I was headed in spades. I went shed hunting and hadn’t checked my phone all day.

To the OP; if they used a thicker material for your loop, you may want to consider requesting the use of some wax where the knots are tied before they actually tighten them. It shouldn’t be necessary but will assist the knot portions to really cinch down tight like they should be. I assume your are using a dual calliper release if you’re getting premature wear on your loop? Aside from your peep coming out of the string due to this loose loop, there’s a good chance you’re getting some pretty severe pinch on your nocks. Depending on string angle at draw, it could be severe enough to start pushing your nock off the serving which if it happened at the wrong time could be one dirty dry fire. It’s a good idea to mark your peep position if you’re not tying in. A couple dabs with a Jiffy Marker does the trick. Or measure it from a chosen reference point on the string. I keep a sheet with all my measurements once I’m dialled.

I’m sure once your loop is on there right you’ll be off to the races.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:29 AM

If your string is two years old, I would replace. How is your peep popping out? If it’s not tied in it should be. Sounds like you might need to add a few twists to your string, things might have stretched. Check the ATA of your bow and that will help you determine. If your d-loop is lined up to the peep sight plane and things are still twisting, I would replace the string and cable set. You should be able to pull back and the peep should not move from start to finish... directly square to your eye. Also what bow is this? Is it a solo cam design by chance?

LC
Old 05-18-2020, 04:30 PM

I've found string stretch moves both the peep and the dloop most
of the times.

New string or old string it can get longer and un twiste over time/shots

I've always put more concern on how much the peep twisted compared
to the dloop as far as a string replace or tune up.

If the peep only rotated 1/8th or less that was not a problem even if
the dloop rotated 1/4" but if the peep rotated greater than 1/8th the
bow string/cable needed to be tuned or replaced.

Sometimes it may occur simply be the cable/string set is not balanced
in the twists as is installed with a new set.

Other times it can be the stretch of an old set worn out that needs to
be replaced. Both can cause the same issues.

So you have to first look at the age of the string/cable set then you
need to decide based upon new or old if it's stretching because it's
new and not broke in yet or if it's old and fibers are giving way.

On my own bows I've known the age of the string set.
On a used bow you just don't know.
Winners Choice and Worlds Best have lasted past 5 years for me.
I don't shoot comp. but do shoot year round.
Just to give you an idea of how long a string set should last.

Shooting a bow and an arrow has always been this way.
Tedius Maximus.

Ask your local Indian. :-)

Last edited by Bonescreek; 05-18-2020 at 04:50 PM.