Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With the 24th place team making the playoffs, and best of five series, the entire playoffs is nothing but a sham.
I think most knew that with that many months off, a quick training camp, and jumping in to a best of 5 "play-in" series, there would be some mixed results. Some expected, some unexpected. Was the only way to see any playoff hockey this year though. Is it better than no hockey? That's up to the individual opinion I guess
Old 08-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
With the 24th place team making the playoffs, and best of five series, the entire playoffs is nothing but a sham.
Pretty much.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Sorry, Pitts was the 5th ranked team

Oilers were 5th place tam,

Oh wow!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Doesn’t matter what place they were in. Chicago was well coached and very prepared. Oilers were not. I imagine guys like the Nuge have had enough.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:16 PM

A lot of the teams effort in the last game and through much of the series was disgusting. Usually leads to crappy results.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Doesn’t matter what place they were in. Chicago was well coached and very prepared. Oilers were not. I imagine guys like the Nuge have had enough.
NHL’rs are different nowadays. In the 80’s and 90’s eras they were grizzled men.
Nuge being upset doesn’t carry a lot of dressing room fear like a Messier, Wendell Clark or Eric Lindros. Today’s NHL’rs are part of this snowflake generation. Skinny jean wearing video gamers when not on the ice. Heck Babcock made Mitch Marner cry lol. Soft players soft world. How much attention does a pimple faced Mcdangles conmand in the dressing room as a leader?

Gonna hit some YouTube on this rainy day and watch some
Messier elbows and Stevens hip checks. How I miss the good old days lol...
Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Good. He'd be the body I'd move ++ that would bring the best return. His next contract will be in the 7 range and I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
NHL’rs are different nowadays. In the 80’s and 90’s eras they were grizzled men.
Nuge being upset doesn’t carry a lot of dressing room fear like a Messier, Wendell Clark or Eric Lindros. Today’s NHL’rs are part of this snowflake generation. Skinny jean wearing video gamers when not on the ice. Heck Babcock made Mitch Marner cry lol. Soft players soft world. How much attention does a pimple faced Mcdangles conmand in the dressing room as a leader?

Gonna hit some YouTube on this rainy day and watch some
Messier elbows and Stevens hip checks. How I miss the good old days lol...
You are right. But I’m sure guys like Nuge would like to win a cup before he is done. I grew up watching late sixties and seventies hockey and I loved the bruins. Cashman hodge Orr Esposito. Also the Flyers were great to watch with Clarke and all the bullies. That was tough hockey and that kind of game is a lost art. Seems you not allowed to hit anyone anymore and Edmonton really has an issue with checking. They are too soft and the cup won’t be here for a long time unfortunately.
Smith. Retire
Kassian chaisson icantseeyou jujar haas Neal all need to get out of here. Way too much dead weight
Old 08-08-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
You are right. But I’m sure guys like Nuge would like to win a cup before he is done. I grew up watching late sixties and seventies hockey and I loved the bruins. Cashman hodge Orr Esposito. Also the Flyers were great to watch with Clarke and all the bullies. That was tough hockey and that kind of game is a lost art. Seems you not allowed to hit anyone anymore and Edmonton really has an issue with checking. They are too soft and the cup won’t be here for a long time unfortunately.
Smith. Retire
Kassian chaisson icantseeyou jujar haas Neal all need to get out of here. Way too much dead weight
I know all those players you mentioned as my Father educated me
on them when I was a kid. Now because of the internet I get to watch their interviews and all those players as a lot of old games are on YouTube now. I thoroughly enjoy hockey history. When I lived in Spruce Grove I purposely shopped at the Sobey’s in Stony Plain in hopes of seeing Glen Hall after the first time I saw him there. What a treat to talk to to him.

I agree with your points you have made...
Old 10-07-2020, 02:45 PM

Ahh, the Oilers playoff thread, a dream cut short.....

Going to be some changes this year though. Holland is getting blasted, hopefully he knows more than the fans do. The three big news items are:

-Oilers won't be qualifying Andreas Athanasiou;
-Oilers won't be qualifying Matt Benning; and,
-Oilers signed Puljujarvi to a two year deal.

Getting Jesse back into the fold should definitely help.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:44 PM

The dream is always alive. Holland and his guys watch these kids play more than the average fan. The average fan makes his/her opinion based mostly on statistics and where the media/bloggers project these kids at.

It was obvious the last four days or so, that the Oil wanted Seth Jarvis at 14th. Media was all over it. He ended up going 13th to Carolina. Listening to 630 Ched radio, even I couldn't help but feel disappointed (briefly) that they didn't get the guy they really wanted. But these guys SHOULD be in the ballpark of talent/skill, etc. The fact that Jarvis went to Carolina the pick before should not be on Holland and therefore I don't understand some fans' anger.

As far as AA and Benning, I think David Staples of the Journal said it the best. They just don't represent value at 3M and 2M respectively. If not for Covid, things are different. But you can PROBABLY do better with that money.

Further on AA, fans will say you gave up two second round picks to get him. True. But that's history now. Today you have 3M. Do you want to sign AA for that or is the 3M better spent on someone else? Do you have to keep your truck if it's a lemon just because you overpaid?

Holland said when he joined that he doesn't have a magic wand. It's a work in progress. You win some, you lose some.

Any blasting coming Holland's way is largely due to impatience by Oiler fans. And we all know where that comes from.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
The dream is always alive. Holland and his guys watch these kids play more than the average fan. The average fan makes his/her opinion based mostly on statistics and where the media/bloggers project these kids at.

It was obvious the last four days or so, that the Oil wanted Seth Jarvis at 14th. Media was all over it. He ended up going 13th to Carolina. Listening to 630 Ched radio, even I couldn't help but feel disappointed (briefly) that they didn't get the guy they really wanted. But these guys SHOULD be in the ballpark of talent/skill, etc. The fact that Jarvis went to Carolina the pick before should not be on Holland and therefore I don't understand some fans' anger.

As far as AA and Benning, I think David Staples of the Journal said it the best. They just don't represent value at 3M and 2M respectively. If not for Covid, things are different. But you can PROBABLY do better with that money.

Further on AA, fans will say you gave up two second round picks to get him. True. But that's history now. Today you have 3M. Do you want to sign AA for that or is the 3M better spent on someone else? Do you have to keep your truck if it's a lemon just because you overpaid?

Holland said when he joined that he doesn't have a magic wand. It's a work in progress. You win some, you lose some.

Any blasting coming Holland's way is largely due to impatience by Oiler fans. And we all know where that comes from.
Agreed.
Lets see what he does in free agency. Freeing up cap space and address the elephant in the room and get a reliable goal tender tandem that will be around for a few years.
If Klef goes on the long term injury, that will free some cash for a quality D man.
Holland is doing his thing, and it looks good to me so far.

Bw
Old 10-07-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
I'm curious what free agency is going to be like, deals or no, but I'd tend to agree. I'd likely rather have a guy like Chris Tanev on the blueline for $5M than those two guys combined. Barrie might not go for much more either. Rumor has Edmonton looking into Markstrom, although I can't see it. Having $21M tied up up front on two forwards and $10.5M (he's not gonna sign for less than $6M is he?) on the backend is stretching things pretty thin and I don't see any takers for Koskinen at this point.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 PM

Hope they do well. We need to get some size and meanness up front. Players like Getzlaf,Benn as an example. Oilers get pushed around way too much but it can change with a couple of good deals.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:00 PM

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2020, 01:40 PM

signed turris and ennis for cheap...short terms

Last edited by fishtank; 10-09-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
signed turris and ennis for cheap...short terms
Both should be good signings!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 PM

Good depth signings in the last 24 hours. Interested to see what additional help they can muster up on the backend though.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Banned

Looks like the Oilers will have to settle for Jimmy Howard as #1 tender with Kostawin as backup.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Moose View Post
Looks like the Oilers will have to settle for Jimmy Howard as #1 tender with Kostawin as backup.
Does that guy still play. Man he’s been in the league a long time.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:37 PM
Banned

He’s a favourite of Holland like Athanasiou
Old 10-09-2020, 06:28 PM

Athanasiou For 2 seconds trade deadline and u let him walk. Ouch. Be interesting to see what you guys do. Like the Turris signing
Old 10-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Good on the Flames for solving all of their problems with the Markstrom signing. Goaltending was their biggest issue in the playoffs.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:46 PM
Banned

Turris is a FUNNY signing. He was drafted by AZ when Tippett was their coach and things didn’t work out and he was shipped to Ottawa. Ottawa dumped him to NSH who just bought him out. That’s a lot of teams in a short period. Reminds me of James Neal.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Ouch lol

Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
Pagnotta - Holtby I believe received a better offer from Edmonton, and opted to take less to play in Vancouver. He is pretty excited to play for the Canucks.
3:10 PM · Oct 9, 2020
Old 10-09-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Turris is a FUNNY signing. He was drafted by AZ when Tippett was their coach and things didn’t work out and he was shipped to Ottawa. Ottawa dumped him to NSH who just bought him out. That’s a lot of teams in a short period. Reminds me of James Neal.
Lol. You are right. Neal is a painful player to watch.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
It would be the other way around.

Koskinen 1A and Howard as a 1B I’d that’s who they chose for depth in the position.

People seem to forget quickly that koskinen has the hottest numbers on the league from December until covid **** the league down.

Finished off the season with a .917 SP. which is worthy of another opportunity considering the mediocre defensive game in front of him.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Ouch lol

Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
Pagnotta - Holtby I believe received a better offer from Edmonton, and opted to take less to play in Vancouver. He is pretty excited to play for the Canucks.
I think they should consider themselves lucky.

"CBS sports hockey writer Pete Blackburn @PeteBlackburn:
Braden Holtby to the Oilers would be perfect because it would mean they correctly identified a need and then overpaid to get the wrong guy."
Old 10-09-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Ouch lol

Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650

Would have been my choice too. Canucks are going to be the best western Canada based team for a while. They've done a fantastic job putting it together.