Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2023, 11:13 AM

Default Win M70 Portugal made 6.5 PRC concern

Hi Fellas,
Above Extreme Weather M70 6.5 PRC MB version will not load 2rd round from Magazine into chamber. This only happens with Berger 140 VLD hunter booolits hand loaded. Seems as #2 round is on left side of mag it ramps up out of mag well then contacts (bullet tip), right side face of chamber. Does not deflect from mag ramp to the left slightly and into throat of chamber but contacts right side of chamber face, or where barrel chamber starts. Only happens with above bullets (so far), 150 gr Accubond Long Range load perfectly. Not sure if it’s the magazine follower or what? The COAL is actually 10 thousands shorter then the 150 Accubonds too.
Anyone else have this happen?
Thanks,
j
Old 10-15-2023, 11:19 AM

If you look at the shape of the two bullets you will see the difference .
You may have to adjust the Bergers further or just use the Accubonds
Cat
Old 10-15-2023, 11:29 AM

Bullet shape, but more often OAL can create an issue with feeding. This is exacerbated by fat cartridge’s. You probably should have someone look at it if that’s a bullet you really want to use.

Seat it 25 thou deeper and see if that helps.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:10 PM

Kinda bummin a bit as the Berger 140 VLDs do shoot nicely and I messed up developing the load by single feeding them at the range. As I can’t seem to locate Berger 156’s or other high BC booolits aside from the 150 Accubond LRs.

O’ course the Berger 140s shoot nicely at 50 thousands off the lands too… gah. And yaaas the bullet tip to Ogive is just slightly longer (more slender), then the Accubonds so I’m thinking a combo of Ogive to tip taper and longer BTCO is making the difference. Albeit the Accubonds are 10 thousands longer COAL. Also looking at the ramp or collar just forward on the Magazine I suppose a smith might be able to change the shape to force the #2 round just slightly left so it’ll head into the chamber. I’ve just never heard of anyone with this concern before.
Thanks for the suggestions and insights fellas.
j
Old 10-15-2023, 08:06 PM

Reliable feeding seems to be a low priority for the rifle manufacturers.
A different magazine follower might help.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:39 PM

sent you a PM of available 156 Gr Bergers.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:23 PM

If you mess with the seating depth to get them so they will feed. Try shooting them for accuracy , maybe the won’t be much change accuracy
Old 10-25-2023, 01:11 PM

My Extreme weather chambered in .308 Winchester will feed empties.
Old 10-31-2023, 11:55 AM

Finally acquired some OEL 156 Bergers, looks like the Ogive to tip diameter/taper ratio appears somewhat different then the 140 VLD’s. Not made time to load any but hopefully #2 from magazine will load like it should… heh.

Albertan thinking mine will load empties too, albeit I don’t really require that feature at the moment… mahahaa pretty sure it’s the 140 VLD taper tip to Ogive that is the problem. Looks comparing the 156 to 140s the 156 ramps up to full diameter sooner from tip to Ogive so that will make a difference loading out of the magazine.
j
Old 11-09-2023, 11:15 AM

So a quick update on the feeding issue. Acquired some Berger 156 EOL, (what I was originally hoping to load for)…. Gah same same, #2 from magazine contacts right side of chamber face and will not feed into chamber. To be fair though I just loaded a dummy round with similar COAL as 140 VLDs so have not messed with BTCO for the 156s. Thinking I’ll drop off at smith’s, I’m thinking a little work to reshape the ramp just slightly will sort this out. As the tip to Ogive is slender on both 156s & 140s seating deeper, (I think) will not solve the problem. I’d try longer, however I’m at max mag length now.
Thinking a few passes with a dremel to slightly reshape ramp would work. Currently #2 round contacts chamber face (end of) like 2 mm right side so it just missed chamber mouth.
So we’ll see what Smith says….
j