Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-03-2023, 10:08 PM

Default RM 1895 issues

Well, my first uhoh with the new Ruger Marlin 1895 SBL. Today while loading ammo before heading to work, the loading gate will not retract far enough into the action to load ammunition into the magazine. It appears the bottom of the loading gate is catching on the cartridge carrier assembly just enough that I can get the tip of the bullet in and then it jams. I have an email into Ruger asking if they have had this issue. I took the rifle apart, cleaned and lubricated it, putting it back together and it is still catching. I left the loading gate screw loose to try and adjust it out of the way but when I go to tighten it down it drops right back into the same position. Has anyone heard of this issue or have advice? Kinda frustrating as I use the rifle when investigating grizzly conflicts. Thankfully I had my trusty 12g I've used before, even though I prefer a 460gr hard cast bullet over the 1oz slug. Penetration can't be beat!
Old 09-03-2023, 10:29 PM

oops, just realized I posted it in the wrong category. Can the Mods move it for me?
Old 09-04-2023, 11:12 AM

Usually the issue with Marlin levers is the loading gate screw gets loose and causes problems.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:26 PM

Took the rifle apart cleaned and put back together 3x and the carrier still wouldn’t drop low enough for the loading gate to open. Had a local gunsmith look at it and was willing to work on it but advised since it’s a new gun to let ruger have first shot at it otherwise after he tuned it they might not want to warranty anything. He sent it in last week for me and ruger said 3 week turnaround. The gun smith said the river folks were very easy to work with and helpful so fingers crossed their service gets it back to me in their estimated time line.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:25 PM

Following

I’m hoping for a trapper sometime in the future, curious to know what the issue is.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:59 PM

Following as well.

How many rounds did get through yours, Ford?
Old 10-02-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Following as well.

How many rounds did get through yours, Ford?
Probably around 50. A buddy who has one with a serial Number about 1000 before mine had his lock up on him last week. Had to finagle getting the round out the he just y led the action a couple hundred times and it seems to have smoothed out.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:08 AM

This is sad news. I had hope that the ruger marlin would get and keep a solid rep for reliability. Hopefully the issues are minor.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
This is sad news. I had hope that the ruger marlin would get and keep a solid rep for reliability. Hopefully the issues are minor.
Agree with this, I'd heard nothing but glowing reviews of the RM rifles untill this post.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:45 PM

I got my SBL back today. Ruger sent a work order back that says they replaced the carrier and test fired it 12x. Took it to the range and it appears to work as it did before. Wish they would have said what happened to the carrier. Actual turnaround time from having an FFL mail it back to Ruger to getting it back to the FFL was exactly 2 weeks. Sat at the FFL for 2 weeks due to me being out of town for a wedding then the FFL being out of town on vacation. Hope I don't have any more issues as I would prefer never having to send it back for warranty work!
Old 11-04-2023, 10:54 PM

Quick question for those that may be more familiar with the Marlin of yesterday and the new RM models, do they utilize the same carriers in the SBL, GBL and Trapper models?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2023, 03:37 AM

Sbl and trapper are both stainless and the gbl is blued. Other than that yes same carrier in all three dimension wise. Not certain if a rem made sbl carrier will fit a ruger and vise vera but within the makers they are interchangeable.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Sbl and trapper are both stainless and the gbl is blued. Other than that yes same carrier in all three dimension wise. Not certain if a rem made sbl carrier will fit a ruger and vise vera but within the makers they are interchangeable.
Can’t forget the new 1895 Dark model…
Old 11-06-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I got my SBL back today. Ruger sent a work order back that says they replaced the carrier and test fired it 12x. Took it to the range and it appears to work as it did before. Wish they would have said what happened to the carrier. Actual turnaround time from having an FFL mail it back to Ruger to getting it back to the FFL was exactly 2 weeks. Sat at the FFL for 2 weeks due to me being out of town for a wedding then the FFL being out of town on vacation. Hope I don't have any more issues as I would prefer never having to send it back for warranty work!
Well that’s interesting.

So, given the intended purpose…how are you going to satisfy yourself that it’s life and death reliable?

I spent some time thinking on this one and figure 200 rounds of every different type, fired during drills, without malfunction, would be enough for me….I think. But given your profession is there a standard?
Old 11-11-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Well that’s interesting.

So, given the intended purpose…how are you going to satisfy yourself that it’s life and death reliable?

I spent some time thinking on this one and figure 200 rounds of every different type, fired during drills, without malfunction, would be enough for me….I think. But given your profession is there a standard?
Well that’s a million dollar question! There really isn’t a standard. I know for handguns I like to run a minimum of 500-600 rounds through without a malfunction before I carry it. I can say the only issues I’ve had with my new duty pistol or off duty gun has been bad ammo. Winchester had a run of bad 9mm fmj back in 21 where the rounds were loaded too lo. They wouldn’t fit in magazines. For this rifle, well I’m just cycling it a lot to hone down any rough spots in the action and firing as many heavy hard cast as I can stand. Last day was around 16 rounds of 460gr +p. I have a good bruise still. I do find if I have cycling issues most of the time it’s me not working the action hard enough. Kind of limp wristing it so to say. As long as the carrier drops out of the way and I can load I’m ok.

As far as life or death reliable thankfully I have 3 of the best guys you could ask for to walk in on these situations with. True they stick me up front but we all trust each other and past that I don’t think much about anything except getting the job done. It’s Actually one of the easier parts of the job.