Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-30-2016, 05:50 PM

I like some of us old timers have worn Red Mackinaw Jackets most of our hunting lives, both with Rifle and Bows. Never had a problem filling the freezer. Some products are made to catch Game, others to catch hunters.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
A couple weeks ago I snuck up on a buck with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth and wearing a red jacket.
In other words you were like 90%of hunters in the 1960's. LOL. don't think my Father in law ever wore camo.

I think it helps a bit. But I don't think your chances are cut that much if you aren't wearing it. As others have said, the fabrics are often more suited to purpose than our everyday clothes.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 PM

The only good thing about camo clothing for hunting deer, moose etc is that it looks cool other than that no point to it in my opinion.

I like it mainly for the pockets & to keep dry but that is only on wet days or snowy days. Most time I wear just jeans, & a shirt or a green, or black jacket with plenty of pockets .

The best camo that works for me is kneeling once I spot an animal. If it is 500 yards away I do a lot of crouching , crawling until I get 100 and less yards away. If I have no interest in the deer then I see just how close I can get. On a number of occasions I watch deer & moose walk right by me while I was kneeling. Kneeling breaks up your form. Just remain as motionless as possible if spotted. It annoys them when they can't figure you out. They stump, walk back & forth, etc....they do what they can to figure you out. Then they walk away.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

X2

Camo is my every day casual wear and damn I make it look good. It's taken some time to develop this style and pull it off. I am a sharp dressed man, what can I say
Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 AM

The only camo that actually is camo is white for snow and a full Gillie suit for everything else.
the rest is a marketting strategy and you bought into the hype.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 AM

Any time I've gotten within shooting distance of an animal, I don't think my camo put me there.

However, there's something to be said about wearing it when you hunt. For me, it helps put me in the mindset that "today I'm going to hunt my butt off, stay out until dusk, and make an effort." In that regard, its helped me every time I've been out.

Now that many companies are putting as much science into their fabrics as they are their patterns, its getting even better.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
The only camo that actually is camo is white for snow and a full Gillie suit for everything else.
the rest is a marketting strategy and you bought into the hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
rio.... are you thinking 2k over-the-counter or entry level customized/custom??.

wby ultralites comes to mindat $2200ish, im almost thinking blaser begins here as well..
oh yes..id be looking at some blaser hardware.
Marketing strategies exist everywhere - I guess if they increase your enthusiam, why fight it, right?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM

Smile Don't get shot!!!

I wear earth tones for all water fowl, and during the big game season I hide in the house.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Marketing strategies exist everywhere - I guess if they increase your enthusiam, why fight it, right?
Your correct prare wolf.
no one is immune to marketting ploys, myself included. It really is all about how the new info is presented to you.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM

x2
Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 PM

I only hunt big game, and I much prefer earth tone colours over camo clothes. I do have some camo stuff but it was either gifted to me or just made of the material that I wanted. Movement and scent is much more important than having camo in my opinion and experience. Wear as much camo as you want, but move while an animal is looking at you and you're busted. People still tag out consistently in areas where hunters are required to wear blaze orange, so if camo is a must-have, explain that one to me.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Rifle hunting for big game, not really needed in my opinion, my Grandfather never wore it and he dropped lots of game. That's not to say I haven't worn it during. When I do wear it while hunting I prefer ASAT, I have had some pretty cool experiences wearing it, especially predator hunting. I have had hawks and Owls land within a few feet of me while calling. I don't think that would have happened if I wasn't wearing camo. I always use it when there is snow on the ground (white camo that is). I find that any camo it is best suited when sitting in one spot like in a tree stand or with limited cover in the open or on the tree line, it breaks up your outline especially bow hunting. If your walking it makes no difference, you're moving there for you can be seen and more so when in the open. There is a reason why snipers in Gillie suits move so slowly and low to the ground. I once dealt with a kid who used to road hunt all the time near home and he kept driving into a field on a daily basis that I used to sit in as we both had permission. I would park on the road and walk across the quarter. He never seen me until I stepped out into the field on one of his laps on the third day. The first question I asked him was how well the camo he was wearing worked in the truck. Needless to say, he didn't get it. His reply was "Is that your truck parked out at the road?" I said "Yeah, I guess you didn't see me eh?"
Old 05-31-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
X2

Camo is my every day casual wear and damn I make it look good. It's taken some time to develop this style and pull it off. I am a sharp dressed man, what can I say
That must be darn fine camo, I never noticed you.
I wear camo hunting because it's the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:33 PM

"This is my couch"!!!!!

look again
Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 PM

Sometimes I wear camo, and sometimes I don't, it depends on the game , and on the circumstances. Sometimes I wear it to keep the idiots that drive around shooting from their vehicles or atvs from seeing me. Some of these idiots immediately scope everything that they see, orange or otherwise, so I would rather that they didn't see me at all.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I had a whitetail deer stare at me for 15 seconds while I was walking down an old lease road. I had time to put my phone in my pocket, get my rifle off my shoulder, crouch onto one knee and shoot her. I had camo on and I think if I didn't she would've bolted.
lol, seriously? You did everything wrong and got lucky, it happens all the time, I doubt the camo had much to do with you shooting that doe. By the time you're walking down the middle of a lease road, with you're rifle slung, playing with your phone, no amount of camo can save you. The whole Mexican standoff thing, I've pulled that off at well under 40 yards , with mature bucks, not wearing a stitch of camo. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I think camo is overrated, and I think a lot of clothes of about the lowest possible quality are sold by printing a camo pattern on them. That being said I do hunt in camo clothing fairly often, simply because the stuff that I own is warm, quiet, and well made.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-01-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
I maintain it to be fairly valuable while in a blind hunting water fowl.

As for big game. I typically do wear it. Mainly because it's the warm clothing that doesn't smell like I just wore it all week at work, oil stained and oil smelling kind of deal.

If I'm going to have dedicated hunting clothing. It may as well be camo. Despite the argument of how well it works or not.
AGREED!! Every activity has designed wear and so does hunting, hunting clothing is designed for that activity beyond the camo patterns. Scent reducing, noise reducing, warm, breathable its all gear towards giving us a little more advantage and the comfort we need for the conditions we hunt in.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenite View Post
i think camo is quite useful hunting coyotes, as they are quite intelligent, and perceptive animals.... however i have only hunted them a couple of years, so its not like I'm the expert here
White camo is important but you can also get away with something pure white as long as you blend in with the surroundings. I would saw for predator hunting blending in is the most important than any other species.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Camo is my favourite colour

Definitely needed for bow hunting spot and stalk ! Rifle hunts maybe not so much but I won't leave home without it Lol I love CAMO so much I wrapped my my little runabout. During rifle my kids and I all wear Hunter orange hats and my rule is thay have to wear them when traveling from stands . Been scoped to many times in all Camo . When wher sitting we take them offhave had elk and deer walk 5-10 yards away and never knew we where there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by elkchaser; 06-01-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Banned

Change two letters in camo and you get another word that I don't find necessary in my life. 😏 Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Change two letters in camo and you get another word that I don't find necessary in my life. 😏 Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Your tag line says it all, try camo and you very well might finally get that big deer. They didn't get big being stupid.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM

At 4:45 am you can use camo to spot your fellow hunters at the gas pump...
If you are wearing a black jacket at brown carhart pants you have coloured yourself the same as a moose...
If you wear camo at dusk in a mall parking lot you are more difficult for drivers to see and you may get run over by a car...
If you give me any static about not seeing you in a mall parking lot you will definitely get run over by a car....

But seriously though, the reason I have camo is because my wife and family think that camo is what hunters want at Christmas. I wear because I have it.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Your tag line says it all, try camo and you very well might finally get that big deer. They didn't get big being stupid.
Lololol. Dean don't play dumb...you've been around long enough to get the joke. I guess maybe I should change it though. Since I wrote that things may have changed. 😜
Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Lololol. Dean don't play dumb...you've been around long enough to get the joke. I guess maybe I should change it though. Since I wrote that things may have changed. 😜
I get the joke, but couldn't resist.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

And some species do get big despite their stupidity. Mule deer and sheep do it all the time if they have protection from hunters.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 AM

Default It's all in the eye of the beholder

Just like the rest of your gear, if the clothing is comfortable and warm, it doesn't really matter if its deep forest paisley, or bright red flannel pattern. If it gives you confidence, wear it.

Take a look at European and African PH's. they wear solid drab green, brown, black. Earth tones. works for them, camo works for you.

I wear camo, its easy to keep separate from the rest of my clothes, and to keep forest stinky(pine, animal, etc smells that accumulate from only being worn outdoors hunting.

It's the same as the 270/30-06 argument, no right or wrong answer, except that the 30-06 is the better of the two
Old 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM

I wear camo, but if it was necessary our grandfathers would have never killed an animal.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:17 PM

Blaze orange camo which is washed in non-UV brightening detergent for me. Deer and Eelk see the orange as grey, other hunters see me.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:20 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It looks cool,
hunt the wind in your favor, minimize movement/noise and game will come by or you can stalk em.
Camo is for Walmart family excursions...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-03-2016, 02:04 PM

bowhunters gotta get closer...tok this pic of buddy from stand...camo is Predator Camo

Neil

Tags
camo, camouflage, camouflage clothing