Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 PM

Default Camo or no camo?

Hey guys,
I've put a few questions out to all of you now and really appreciate all of the amazing feedback I get. Me and a good friend have a hunting podcast where I've include the feedback from this forum. The gear episodes we did were really well received, so thanks to anyone that chimed in on that post a while back.
Anyways, the one question we keep getting from listeners is the classic camouflage clothing question. Is it necessary? Does it improve your chances for success? Does the species your focused on hunting or the terrain you're in require camo? Or, is it just one more expensive piece of gear that we could all do without.
I have my thoughts on this one and so does my co-host, but I'd really like to hear thoughts and suggestions from you guys. Thanks in advance. We'll be sharing your advice on our next episode. Cheers!

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...r/id1091008357
http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
https://twitter.com/rookie_hunter
Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 PM

Personally I think camo is highly over rated , to the point where I rarely use it ,
I have done but only because it is made of s certain material I like ,
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 PM

I think it does help to break up your outline , however I feel animals see movement and will smell you before they pick out color..
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
I think it does help to break up your outline , however I feel animals see movement and will smell you before they pick out color..
X2- paying attention to the wind and your movement will get you much more success than the latest camo on the market .
Also when you are in close proximity also make sure you do not make direct eye contact .
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 10:34 PM

I maintain it to be fairly valuable while in a blind hunting water fowl.

As for big game. I typically do wear it. Mainly because it's the warm clothing that doesn't smell like I just wore it all week at work, oil stained and oil smelling kind of deal.

If I'm going to have dedicated hunting clothing. It may as well be camo. Despite the argument of how well it works or not.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
I maintain it to be fairly valuable while in a blind hunting water fowl.

As for big game. I typically do wear it. Mainly because it's the warm clothing that doesn't smell like I just wore it all week at work, oil stained and oil smelling kind of deal.

If I'm going to have dedicated hunting clothing. It may as well be camo. Despite the argument of how well it works or not.
+1

Another article of clothing for hunting to get dirty,besides it just looks cool lol
Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 PM

I think camo really helps with waterfowl hunting, have heard the same with turkey hunting but not really required for big game. Most good camo clothing is good quality though so it usually gets worn lol
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 PM

When I am in s blind I am typically dressed in Carhartt coveralls - never a problem brining in birds or limiting .
Cat
Old 05-29-2016, 11:12 PM

Yes camo is necessary. I've seen instances with and without enough to prove it first hand. At least for myself.
Honestly hunting success is like a checklist to me. The more boxes you check the greater the chance of success. Scent control. Camo. Limited movement. Good blind. Warmth. Sighted in and clean rifle. Calls. I could go on. A lot of it by itself may not be necessary but I firmly believe being detailed can make or break a hunt
Just some late night musings.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 PM

I've heard that ducks actually have pretty good eyesight, but even then a good blind will keep you covered until it's time to get to business. I personally don't wear camo but I like that a lot of dedicated hunting clothing seems to have other helpful qualities (waterproof, doesn't rustle etc) so who knows
Old 05-29-2016, 11:38 PM

i think camo is quite useful hunting coyotes, as they are quite intelligent, and perceptive animals.... however i have only hunted them a couple of years, so its not like I'm the expert here
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 PM

I believe camo works , breaks up your outline and you can still use the wind and be careful with movement .. besides what can it hurt
Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 AM

Maybe for spot and stalk hunting yes but when in a blind I don't bother

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 AM

I mostly use earth tone colors, green,brown , and greys if hunting in the mtns.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:41 AM

I use it for waterfowl and predator hunting.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I use it for waterfowl and predator hunting.
X2. But I believe hunting mammals scent then movement are even more critical than colour, birds movement and colour are primary concerns. I also try to ensure my clothing is UV neutral. Many clothing companies add a UV "brightener" to their dyes helping the colours "pop". These shine like a beacon to animals that see a broader spectrum than we do (birds coyotes)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:51 AM

For bowhunting it is very helpful. Perhaps not absolutely necessary, depending on your setup, but it makes a huge difference when a deer is staring through you at 5 yards. I make most of my kills inside 15 yards and a human outline sitting in a tree would be very noticeable.

Rifle hunting, it makes less of a difference. Earth tones often work better than "leaf and stick" because they don't block up at distance.

If you have the choice, Digital camo is best for all applications.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:42 AM

I like camo. I am always going to buy clothing that only gets used for hunting in an effort to cut down on scent. If I'm going to buy gear that only gets used when I'm hunting it may as well be in camo. Waterfowl and archery specifically I believe there are noticeable benefits to it. I'm not big on the photo realistic stuff, i think past 15 yards you look like a dark blob in most realtree & mossy oak type stuff. I really like First Lite's Fusion pattern. It does a remarkable job at breaking up the outline of the body. I also like ASAT as well, it looks goofy as hell but works well for its intended purpose.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 AM

Snow camo definitely works. Just for fun, on many occasions while spotting game, we have stalked within 50 yards of deer and elk with a hunter in dark camo right behind me. As soon a the guy in dark camo steps out from behind, whatever game animal it is is gone.

Another Camo that works is the flat Elk Decoys. I have walked behind one of these in wide open spaces and been able to walk right up on Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetails (be damn sure Cow Elk isn't open when you try this). It isn't just about movement, it is about what is moving.

Dark camo Gillie suits also work well if you have the patience to bely crawl your way into range.

Not saying you have to wear camo, I have shot lots of game in black wool pants and a green jack shirt, but I know in many situations camo is a benefit.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM

I like camo, but I would think it's only effective for up close and personal (bowhunting) and even then, your scent may still give you away...seems animals bolt from a good whiff of what they don't see faster than a sighting of something that may or may not present danger.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM

As someone has stated before, camo is necessary for bow hunting but I use it in rifle season as well.

It helps to break up my outline from critters, and it does not attract attention from other hunters (especially those that think it's okay to use a rifle scope as a substitute for binoculars).
Old 05-30-2016, 12:40 PM

I usually buy my outer layer hunting clothing in camo so that I don't use my regular clothing. Don't want to get the regular stuff bloody or wrecked. I don't see a need for everything being camo, like underwear, socks, base layers, or t-shirts. That is just a money maker for the manufacturers!

I think camo is useful for waterfowl hunting, but not necessary for big game or upland birds.

The thing about camo clothing that I do like is that the new stuff usually have a quiet texture as well as some kind of scent blocking.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 PM

Is camo required definitely not if you ask me. Is it useful to some extent I would say so. Do I use it yes but not because it is camo. I have hunting clothing that is dedicated only for hunting and there is other nice qualities that come with the clothing (fabric, gortex, etc.) that I want.

Only time I have found camo really has made a difference is predator hunting. They can be smart little buggers.

Big game I have snuck up on deer many many times under 30 yards wearing my jeans and a blaze orange jacket.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:02 PM

I use some stuff I got from cabelas in mossy oak brush pattern, mainly because I don't care if it gets messed up and dirty. A side bonus is that it is very comfortable. Do I think it's absolutely necessary to wear camo hunting? Nope.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:11 PM

I hope it helps. As a newb to big game hunting I've been reading to many books and articles and bought a ton of Camo clothing and other do hickies. Probably gonna end up selling half that I don't need. But I'm also going to try some crossbow hunting. But I just bought an Asat 3D suit. **** I got enough scent killer to defimigate probably 2 acres of land. Lol Oh well. Better to be over prepared than under prepared... And broke....
Old 05-30-2016, 02:41 PM

A few observations/thughts...

Saw a report in a financial magazine not too long ago about Kuiu, a relatively new hunting clothing company. I think they sold $50 million USD a year or two ago, all online and out of one store in California. Camo is a serious addiction for hunters and non-hunters. Even if it doesn't increase harvest rates, hunters will always love camo. Even Sitka, a young company has a huge sales volume.

In fairness to Kuiu and hunters who waste money on all kinds of unproven stuff (full disclosure - I wear Kuiu camo), Kuiu has developed some of the smartest outdoor wear in the world and non-hunters also prefer their clothing because it's high tech and made for layering and water-resistance. I suspect the reason most camo hunters use camo is because it's their "hunting gear" and can take abuse and blood and dirt etc. But I wear a blaze hat - you can spot me a mile away. It's not hampered me.

If I get a Sask WT draw (I can dream), I will have to wear the equivalent of a blaze top and hat. Blaze hunting wear is equally effective - harvest rates are not lower in jurisdictions that require it. (I wish blaze made me safer - it feels like it should although there is no evidence it does.)
Old 05-30-2016, 03:18 PM

I guess I will add my 2 cents, which is a lot like others experiences.

- Camo isn't necessary, especially rifle hunting big game like deer but it can't hurt either. Check off as many boxes as you can to improve your chances.

- Camo clothing is also bought for other reasons, mainly because it is hunting gear. So it comes with other desirable qualities, quiet, rain proof, lots of pockets, durable, layerable and the list goes on.

_ Camo clothing is our dedicated hunting wear, so it doesn't get used for other stuff and alot doesn't collect a lot of smells.

- Open patterns, like ASAT and others, or flat earth tones will work best do break up your outline and take away the "blob effect".

- Certain animals like predators and birds benefit more from camo concealment than deer for example.

- Wearing camo doesn't erase being noisy, smelly, excessive movement or not playing the wind. The animals will "check all their boxes" too to stay alive so you have to mind ALL of these things to maximize your chances at success.

So your answer is obviously YES and NO. lol

I also think camo helps hide you from other hunters and keeps me safer but YMMV.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-30-2016, 03:22 PM

I had a whitetail deer stare at me for 15 seconds while I was walking down an old lease road. I had time to put my phone in my pocket, get my rifle off my shoulder, crouch onto one knee and shoot her. I had camo on and I think if I didn't she would've bolted.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:19 PM

Years ago I never saw camo other than green pants. Got lots of game. Camo got popular and I had to have it. Couple years back got shot at in the peace country. Now I can't put enough colour on. Camo sits in the closet.
From what I understand animal don't see colour . I just resort to good old fashion hunting.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Banned

A couple weeks ago I snuck up on a buck with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth and wearing a red jacket. The wind was blowing in my favour but I got close enough where I could have jumped out and kicked him in the rear. I was bored and it was amusing.

Tags
camo, camouflage, camouflage clothing