Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM

Default One Pin Does All?

Interesting thread I picked up from another forum - basically one pin, fixed does all:

http://www.rokslide.com/index.php?op...article&id=252

Interested in what others might think?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Personally I use a 5 pin... I have thought about single pin and when I see people use them at the mother of all shoots people were dead accurate I think it's a great option
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM

I agree the one pin is interesting for a variety of reasons and based upon the the correctness of this thread, you can set that sight such that it would never be out of alignment by more than 6 inches over a tremendous shooting range. I also agree with the author that it would be easier to judge a modest vertical distance of a few inches versus estimating yardage accurately.

I intend to give it a whirl at the range.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM

Although the concept is interesting and we used to use the pins [5 pin] on kind of the same concept by knowing the approx chest measurements of the animals in your area...for example a mature elk with a chest of 30" if one held the sight and pins on the bull and you held the 30 yard pin on the back of the elk and the 40 yard pin was on the bottom of the chest, then you knew the bull was at 50 yards...etc

This may be an asset for new shooters but for an Old dog...this is one trick that would screw me right up because aiming with the pin to miss [below the animal ] would not work as instict would take over and I would have to put pin in vitals...

Shooting outdoors a lot with 5 pins can improve your juding distance very well also and I have always depended on that...

but I like the concept and it may work for some...I just know its not for me personally..

Neil
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 AM

If you have time to range the critter at 35+ yards with out being detected, then you generally have time to move the pin. I would not shoot past that distance without using my rangefinder.

Under that distance the pin is already set at 30 yards for pretty much a dead hold. If its 20 you need to hold a little low.

I just can't focus on my multi-pin sights anymore. They obscure my sight picture and my accuracy. I am switched to one pin for good now.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

i'm a bit lost on it too, i set up rifle zero's to stay inside a 6" verticle window using velocity data, why not use the exact same concept as many do with a single fixed pin or their 'first pin', i don't get why you would aim 12" low and for the same effect you could just dial a pin into the center of the 6" window and hold dead on for your point blank zero range?....way too much math for heat of moment imo

counting 10 yards at a time is very easy and if your speed is healthy say near 300 fps you don't have to get the range guess perfect, approximate will do just fine, you can configure pins to make it very easy to get to the right pin for your quick guess, example, i use 7 pin, all green pins except the middle pin which is 50 yard which is red, by doing this i essentially create two 3 pin sights having that red divider....and for our western hunting i'm often counting from that middle pin more than i am from the 20 yard pin....even if you just get handy knowing your holds by only focusing on the red pin would be easier than this prescribed trick pin system

got a 42 yard shot, one pin under the red....done

got a 65 yard shot gap the two pins above the red...done

i also configure my pins to be 0.019 up to and including that red 50 yard pin and then have the 60/70/80 at smaller 0.010 pins for a further separator than just a red pin in the middle of all the greens....i essentially work a similar system as my 50 yard pin is my trick pin most of the time, and i work from it most of the time, especially when time is short....that hold under stuff is a bad idea for heat of moment imo
Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM

The method I spoke of we found quite by trial and error, but there is a simular system to what I speak of and its instant..have a read..

there is a system now that is built just for that
http://www.deadonrangefinder.com/Press.aspx it lists deer body size for all over the US and Canada..as well as moose elk etc...I have tried it and it is accurate...

Neil