Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Default 2012 Loch Style Flyfishing Competition in Logan Lake BC Team member Needed..

Hi,

On June 21, 22, and 23'rd I will be captaining a 5 person team at the 2012 Loch Style Fly-fishing Championships taking place in the Logan Lake area of B.C.. One of last years members has fallen ill and I am looking for someone who has some experience in the art of fly-fishing. I met Pudelpointer (forum member) while putting out this invite last year and we have become good friends since that time. Pudelpointer even placed best on our team having never experienced this type of fly-fishing. I would like to repeat this with whomever comes aboard this year. Equipment that is needed is a 10 foot #6 or #7 fly-rod with a selection of reels/lines. (Optimally a floating, Midge tip, #3 sink, #5 sink, #7 sink line). This a great event with a chance to learn an incredible amount about effective tactics. I would love to hear from you. Take care.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Hi,

On June 21, 22, and 23'rd I will be captaining a 5 person team at the 2012 Loch Style Fly-fishing Championships taking place in the Logan Lake area of B.C.. One of last years members has fallen ill and I am looking for someone who has some experience in the art of fly-fishing. I met Pudelpointer (forum member) while putting out this invite last year and we have become good friends since that time. Pudelpointer even placed best on our team having never experienced this type of fly-fishing. I would like to repeat this with whomever comes aboard this year. Equipment that is needed is a 10 foot #6 or #7 fly-rod with a selection of reels/lines. (Optimally a floating, Midge tip, #3 sink, #5 sink, #7 sink line). This a great event with a chance to learn an incredible amount about effective tactics. I would love to hear from you. Take care.
DB, will this be on Tankwa Lake? I believe they have held similar events there, before. Presumably not Logan Lake, as it is too small for teamfishing, I would think.

When you say Loch style, I take you mean drift fishing using traditional flies on 2 - 3 fly casts?

Being from Scotland, that is how we fished the lochs for brown trout.

I haven't fished that style for quite a lot of years, but I would be interested.

As for rods, I have an 11ft 7wt and have been thinking of building a 10ft 6wt, this would give me the impetus to build one. Lots of reels with # 6 and 7 wts floating and intermediate sink, but would need to get exrta sinking lines. I also have a dapping line kicking around somewhere, which also works great providing there is some wind.

These dates and a couple days each side, to allow for travel are ok for me.

Put my name in the hat.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
DB, will this be on Tankwa Lake? I believe they have held similar events there, before. Presumably not Logan Lake, as it is too small for teamfishing, I would think.

When you say Loch style, I take you mean drift fishing using traditional flies on 2 - 3 fly casts?

Being from Scotland, that is how we fished the lochs for brown trout.

I haven't fished that style for quite a lot of years, but I would be interested.

As for rods, I have an 11ft 7wt and have been thinking of building a 10ft 6wt, this would give me the impetus to build one. Lots of reels with # 6 and 7 wts floating and intermediate sink, but would need to get exrta sinking lines. I also have a dapping line kicking around somewhere, which also works great providing there is some wind.

These dates and a couple days each side, to allow for travel are ok for me.

Put my name in the hat.
Yes drogues (no anchors) are used with a max of 3 flies. Your 11 foot rod would be fine for this event but I would not want to dampen your spirits for building a new rod ;}. The competition is on Trojan Pond located on the copper mine. Your knowledge interests me I'll send you a PM, thanks for the reply.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM

There is a $200 dollar entry fee. You get a tax receipt for the full amount and 4 catered meals that are top notch.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
There is a $200 dollar entry fee. You get a tax receipt for the full amount and 4 catered meals that are top notch.
That sounds great.

Does the mine have accomodation? I have stayed at Logan Lake Lodge which is not too bad. There used to be a fly shop near the Lodge as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM

No mine accomodations, our team may stay at Tunkwa Lake but the prices were very unreasonable last year. If we can get better rates that will be the place, if not we would stay in town at one of the motels or even RV rental?? Flyshop in Logan lake has weird hours so always best to prepare as best as possible but surprises do happen. We tried three different occasions but did not find them open once last year.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Good chance I'll need another for this tourney....anybody?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM

I am interested in checking this type of tournament out but have a walleye tourney that weekend so I wouldn't be able to join you.

Is there some videos online that I am able to watch to find out what it is like?

Also you said a 10' 6 or 7wt rod but would a 5wt be useable for this type of fishing?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM

You need the length of the 10 foot rod or longer along with the punch of the 6 or 7 weight to get the distance. You need to cove water as quickly as possible when drifting. A 5 weight is just not enough rod. Also a #6 or 7 will handle fish better maximizing your 3 hours per session.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
No mine accomodations, our team may stay at Tunkwa Lake but the prices were very unreasonable last year. If we can get better rates that will be the place, if not we would stay in town at one of the motels or even RV rental?? Flyshop in Logan lake has weird hours so always best to prepare as best as possible but surprises do happen. We tried three different occasions but did not find them open once last year.
I think you'll find the flyshop is no more! Reaction Fly and Tackle in the Lower Mainland suddenly shut their doors and they owned the shop in Logan Lake sooooo.......

I managed Tunkwa Lake Resort until the spring of 2008 and the rates have gone up exponentially since then. Hopefully they don't eventually price themselves out of the market.

For six consecutive years I fished the fundraiser derby at Trojan Pond which was always a good time for a good cause. Unfortunately for me, Todd Oishi started the Loch Style Derby after I had left and I've been meaning to get back but a heavy fishing schedule always gets in the way. This year I'm leaving for the Parklands on June 11th so I will miss it again.

Wish you all the best this year and perhaps I'll see you out there.........eventually!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Smile

I will be there at the tournament once again this year. Team Tight Lines will be ready when the starting gun goes off.

We look forward to seeing you there again DB. Good luck and safe travels.

Rob
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM

For anyone interested, I have fly fished a lot, in many places across Canada and elsewhere, but I learned a bunch about fishing lakes at this event last year, and have increased my catch rate substantially since.

Don't let the gear recommendation dissuade you from participating. I can lend a 7 wt if needed (I will be using my 6wt most of the time). The name of the game is hooking and landing fish as quick as possible, and that is made more efficient with a more powerful rod.

Using stronger fluorocarbon Tippet allows you to really lean on fish.

I will likely be camping up the road from the venue, or alternatively staying at the hotel in town. Tunkwa Lake resort was beyond over priced; for less money you can stay at the hotel and have air conditioning and TV.

Looking forward to meeting the new team members!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
For anyone interested, I have fly fished a lot, in many places across Canada and elsewhere, but I learned a bunch about fishing lakes at this event last year, and have increased my catch rate substantially since.

Don't let the gear recommendation dissuade you from participating. I can lend a 7 wt if needed (I will be using my 6wt most of the time). The name of the game is hooking and landing fish as quick as possible, and that is made more efficient with a more powerful rod.

Using stronger fluorocarbon Tippet allows you to really lean on fish.

I will likely be camping up the road from the venue, or alternatively staying at the hotel in town. Tunkwa Lake resort was beyond over priced; for less money you can stay at the hotel and have air conditioning and TV.

Looking forward to meeting the new team members!
what patterns & sizes did you find most productive last year?

Does anyone fish a skating bob-fly? That is a technique we used on hill lochs that was really effective at times.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Not many fished a 3 fly rig. In public waters in BC you can only use a single barbless hook, so most competitors are not used to fishing more than a single.

Last years event was cold and rainy both days. There was not a lot of insect activity. Trying to remember what flies were producing.... a few fish were caught on numerous flies, but there was one that was pretty productive (pm incoming).

I tried a traditional 3 fly rig a couple times and caught fish, and it was useful for searching, but once I had a fly that wa working I went with a single just to keep tangles and snagged fish to a minimum.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Well we lost our Cold Lake guy anybody with a little experience interested in joining us next week in Logan lake? Arriving Wednesday, tournament starts Friday morning, ends Saturday.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM

I'm interested.... Kinda new to fly fishing but I got the gear. And I know how to use it. Actually to be honest I had I guy asked me how long I'd been fly fishing. Surprised he was when I told him I started this year lol. I fish ever day though. Love fly fishing! My 7wt is 9' and my 5wt is also 9' I got no 10 footers. Run Phlueger Trions on both. Couple hundred flies, dries, nymphs, stimulators, emergers, streamers... Kinda got a stock pile of flies. Pm me, I'm interested but I don't wanna drive all that way ahha
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

Anybody?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM

I am working otherwise would be intrested try pm mcleod he is very knowledgeable
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM

Would prob enjoy the experience but the wife has me on a budget, heading to the Parklands area of Manitoba for some monster trout from the 18th-23rd.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Anybody?
You should get hold of Todd Oishi. He has one person extra that is interested but doesn't have a team. His name is Vance Whitley. Sounds like he is loched, loaded and ready to go.

See ya there.

Rob
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Lost one guy to pinched nerve and found a replacement. Now another broke his hand on the job today. Anybody want to fill in for Friday and Saturday in Logan Lake?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Had a great time, thanks to all those who helped out to get the team together.

We were 7' th out of 11 teams but just a few fishes from the medals.

Nice to finally meet you Kingfisher.

Looking forward to next season already!