Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 09:05 AM

Default 12' Jon Boat vs 12' Aluminum

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a used boat this spring for use on "bigger waters," (specifically Maligne). Typically when fishing lakes, my float tube does the trick nicely, but there are a couple areas I frequent where it just doesn't suffice. I have no need for an outboard gas motor and will be purchasing an electric to go with the boat. I want something lightweight and with the ability to transport in the box of my 1/2 ton truck ideally. My question(s) are...I like the idea of a Jon Boat for stability (stand up casting/fishing, etc) but wonder how it will fare on bigger water with an electric as opposed to an Aluminum V-hull? Which is the better "all around Boat" for use with an electric motor? It makes sense that an Aluminum V would move better through the water than a flat bottomed Jon, but is the difference significant? Does anyone run a Jon Boat on Maligne? Any issues or concerns? Looking for opinions and recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 AM

if you are gonna be on bigger water and are worried about the weather sneaking up on you id go with a 12 foot V instead of a jon. Usually higher sides and can cut through waves easier. just my preference.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM

Not all 12'ers are the same bottom shape. Some are "rounded" and tip readily. Traded one of them in for a Harbour craft. You couldstand on the seats of it casting. No idea if they are still made this way today.
Make sure you get a wide bottom boat.

Don
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks a lot for all the replies and insight guys. Gives me a lot to think about and consider before purchasing. Cheers!
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Not all 12'ers are the same bottom shape. Some are "rounded" and tip readily. Traded one of them in for a Harbour craft. You couldstand on the seats of it casting. No idea if they are still made this way today.
Make sure you get a wide bottom boat.

Don
Don is pretty much right on if you wish to fly cast standing up,,, The ability to stand while casting opens up a whole new world of flyfishing opportunity compared to casting from a position much lower to the water.

Flat bottom, wide beam "jon" style boats typically are more stable than similar sized v hulled aluminum cartoppers. They ride rougher and wetter and do not handle as well in the waves, but they are less prone to capsizing.

Lots of guys on the west side of the continental divide flyfish out of "prams" Google up "pram" and "flyfishing",,, that may be something to consider.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Don is pretty much right on if you wish to fly cast standing up,,, The ability to stand while casting opens up a whole new world of flyfishing opportunity compared to casting from a position much lower to the water.

Lots of guys on the west side of the continental divide flyfish out of "prams" Google up "pram" and "flyfishing",,, that may be something to consider.
I don't necessarily agree with you but......Jack Shaw, a Kamloops native, in his book Fishing the Trout Lakes, firmly stated, " Sit down.Rarely do you see an old pro standing in a boat while fishing. There are a number of good reasons for this. You are less visible to trout when you are sitting. When fishing close to others, by sitting and keeping your hands low, between your legs, you can hide the retrieve, thus not divulging any secrets. [Clearly Jack didn't share while on the water.] "

I think the real reason you see us "old" pros sitting in our boats more often than younger anglers, our legs and backs tire out quicker.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
I don't necessarily agree with you but......Jack Shaw, a Kamloops native, in his book Fishing the Trout Lakes, firmly stated, " Sit down.Rarely do you see an old pro standing in a boat while fishing. There are a number of good reasons for this. You are less visible to trout when you are sitting. When fishing close to others, by sitting and keeping your hands low, between your legs, you can hide the retrieve, thus not divulging any secrets. [Clearly Jack didn't share while on the water.] "

I think the real reason you see us "old" pros sitting in our boats more often than younger anglers, our legs and backs tire out quicker.
Well if you prefer to sit that is your prerogative,,,, but from a standing position, the extra elevation significantly enhances the ability to see into the water and you also gain significant casting distance as well as being easier to cast.

Two of the spookiest fly fishing targets on this planet (tarpon and bonefish) are routinely fished out of flats boats where the angler stands on the bow 2 - 3 feet above the water line and the guide stands another 3 feet higher on poling platform (in water that is typically much shallower and clearer than trout lakes and streams).

Last edited by Pikebreath; 02-01-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM

I just reread my post. The first sentence should read, "I don't necessarily disagree with you." Jack does, not me.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 PM

What is your budget? And have you considered inflatables? I have a fishing kayak from these guys and I love it. Very stable.

http://saturninflatableboats.ca/

Look at the kayaks and kaboats. Either option will be more stable than an aluminum boat and easily transported. The only issue is blowing them up.....

Cheers
Old 02-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

12 foot alum would be my choice, don't limit yourself.
Just a little more versatile is all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
12 foot alum would be my choice, don't limit yourself.
Just a little more versatile is all.
I am assuming you mean a 12 foot car topper v hull? I would argue that a 12 foot jon is going to be far more versatile than a 12 foot cartopper,,,

There ain't a 12 foot boat of any kind that will handle big water and big waves safely, but the jon will provide a more stable fishing platform for fly fishing,,, and duck hunting platform if so desired.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:25 PM

For a windy day on big water, a V-hull is better than a jonboat by a long shot.
Seen a jonboat almost flip backwards turning into the wind at Whitetail one day. And they have lower sides so they can actually swamp easier. I was pretty happy having a 14ft V on one lake in MB last June, when the wind came up.
But I wouldn't have gone out in the first place, with a pram. I have a 10ft pram now, with fairly high sides, 17", and a 60" beam, but, I will be picky as to where and when I use it.
If you get a 12 ft boat, get the widest and deepest you can get, you will thank your self later.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
I am assuming you mean a 12 foot car topper v hull? I would argue that a 12 foot jon is going to be far more versatile than a 12 foot cartopper,,,

There ain't a 12 foot boat of any kind that will handle big water and big waves safely, but the jon will provide a more stable fishing platform for fly fishing,,, and duck hunting platform if so desired.
The v haul will handle waves better, in order to keep stability build a ply wood flat bottom, more bang for your buck.

Now big water and big waves stay home.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-06-2017, 07:06 AM

I have seen a few small v-boats on Maligne. Never seen a Jon boat though. Even on a calm day the wake from the tour boats would make fishing out a jon a little uncomfortable I think.