Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Default 12 common flies advice / and a few other questions

Just took up fly fishing and have been at it for a week so far so good . learning about everything slowly as there is alot to learn.

my question is what 12 flies should i practice fishing with, i will be mostly going to small lakes or ponds to improve my skills before i hit up the rivers or streams.

i dont have a expensive set up an 8.6 rod, floating line, my 4x tappered leader which i tied with a nail knot and then put on a little glue ( knot that is ) oh and a fenwich reel.

I bought some indicators but i am not to sure on how far to put it up my leader?

Fly Fishing is a new world to me and i really hope i can figure it out any info would be great....................txs
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Not 12, but here's a few :

Boodworm
elk hair caddis
adams
woolly bugger - various colors
bead head prince nymph
micro leach various colors
chironomids - for still water-various colors
damsel fly - olives and blues seem to be working for me right now
Hopper pattern

Another option is to pick up grab packs from Ickyflyworks. They are great options and selections.

When I use an indicator, I set it for the depth I want to fish my nymph or chironomid at. Others may do it differently.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM

I think size is also important, I would offer these as my best results (rivers):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy37 View Post
Not 12, but here's a few :

Boodworm
elk hair caddis (6)
adams (12)
woolly bugger - various colors
bead head prince nymph (14-12-10)
micro leach various colors
chironomids - for still water-various colors
damsel fly - olives and blues seem to be working for me right now
Hopper pattern

Another option is to pick up grab packs from Ickyflyworks. They are great options and selections.

When I use an indicator, I set it for the depth I want to fish my nymph or chironomid at. Others may do it differently.
A big Caddis has been good to me lately. Maybe add these also:
Red and black flying (white hackle) ants (14-12)
Stonefly (8-4)
Pale morning duns (16-18)
Blue winged olive (16-18)

Think smaller size to smaller rivers.

GL
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
Just took up fly fishing and have been at it for a week so far so good . learning about everything slowly as there is alot to learn.

my question is what 12 flies should i practice fishing with, i will be mostly going to small lakes or ponds to improve my skills before i hit up the rivers or streams.

i dont have a expensive set up an 8.6 rod, floating line, my 4x tappered leader which i tied with a nail knot and then put on a little glue ( knot that is ) oh and a fenwich reel.

I bought some indicators but i am not to sure on how far to put it up my leader?

Fly Fishing is a new world to me and i really hope i can figure it out any info would be great....................txs
I have just recently started fly fishing as well. Been at it a couple months. It takes some time to catch on to everything. There are so many different flies it takes forever to learn them. There are 2 I have had the most luck on, that is the San Juan Worm and a Copper John.

As for the indicator for nymphing, I try to set it up 1.5 times the depth of the water I want to fish. That is the distance from the first fly up the leader. Also, it would be a good idea to use some split shot or this mouldable weight and put it about a 1' up the leader from the first fly. That mouldable weight is available at WSS, a friendly guy I met on the bow one day showed me it, this guy also let me try out his fly rod, showed me a couple tricks for casting, and some of the flies he was having sucess with. If buddy is on this site, thanks for your help, it was greatly appreciated. (I went out the next day and bought a new rod similar to yours, it has made a world of difference)

Fly fishing can be extremely frustrating at the beginning, and for quite some time. Knots in the leader are the worst and if you don't notice them right away and make a couple casts they just get worse, almost to the point where you just need to grab a new leader and start over. In the end it is all worth it. The first time a nice big trout grabs that fly and starts running is amazing. I just recently had a brown take me into my backing twice, I had to chase him 100' down river so he wouldn't clean my line out. Rod in one hand, palming the reel to keep tension on, other hand is grabing all the over hanging trees to keep me from falling in as I try to get down river and wear this fish out. What a rush.

Good luck and no matter how frustrating it gets, trust me keep trying, it does get better it just takes time.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 PM

backswimmers and small shrimp pattern have worked well for me and im not experienced at any particular techniques so they must like em
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
I have just recently started fly fishing as well. Been at it a couple months. It takes some time to catch on to everything. There are so many different flies it takes forever to learn them. There are 2 I have had the most luck on, that is the San Juan Worm and a Copper John.

As for the indicator for nymphing, I try to set it up 1.5 times the depth of the water I want to fish. That is the distance from the first fly up the leader. Also, it would be a good idea to use some split shot or this mouldable weight and put it about a 1' up the leader from the first fly. That mouldable weight is available at WSS, a friendly guy I met on the bow one day showed me it, this guy also let me try out his fly rod, showed me a couple tricks for casting, and some of the flies he was having sucess with. If buddy is on this site, thanks for your help, it was greatly appreciated. (I went out the next day and bought a new rod similar to yours, it has made a world of difference)

Fly fishing can be extremely frustrating at the beginning, and for quite some time. Knots in the leader are the worst and if you don't notice them right away and make a couple casts they just get worse, almost to the point where you just need to grab a new leader and start over. In the end it is all worth it. The first time a nice big trout grabs that fly and starts running is amazing. I just recently had a brown take me into my backing twice, I had to chase him 100' down river so he wouldn't clean my line out. Rod in one hand, palming the reel to keep tension on, other hand is grabing all the over hanging trees to keep me from falling in as I try to get down river and wear this fish out. What a rush.

Good luck and no matter how frustrating it gets, trust me keep trying, it does get better it just takes time.
thanks great advice. i will keep at it i have been fishing my entire life and fly fishing is a challenge looking forward to catching my first
Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM

I really like this question, because I often think I could downsize to just one flybox and catch fish on most trout rivers in alberta most of the time. So here is my favorite 12 flies for Alberta

Stimulator
San Juan or wire worm
bead head gold ribbed hares ear nymph
prince nymph
copper john
parachute adams
madam X
kauffman's stonefly nymph
parachute light cahill
wholly bugger
foam hopper
griffiths gnat

These are fished differently but I think this is what I would carry if I could only pick 12. Maybe I would switch some after thinking about it but I think this would be a good start, especially for once you start fishing rivers
Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Smile It is more than the flys

I love to fish moving water, not so much lakes or ponds. I fish dry flies and the odd wet fly and rarely a nymph. Which is too bad because the nymph fellows catch the most fish but I'm trying to learn how to fish them as an old man! Get some advice here on how to fish the various options that you have been given.

My grandfather would tell you in a river or stream presentation is everything, he was right, the fish have to make a decision very quickly and if it looks like food they will strike. The nymph strikes are very subtle, and the boys that know how to use indicators can be of great help.

It is not about how far you can cast, how much your equipment costs, or how good your flys are. Keep the line in the water and make that fly look real! The rest is easy. Have fun.