Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Haha that’s what I was just thinking, unfortunately I don’t have 6k to spare to buy all three I want. Damn they are pretty rifles, besides I don’t want to spoil myself, gonna need to buy something for my 21st, 30th,40th, first divorce, 50th and so on... guess I gonna need a new gun safe.
I know the feeling, I couldn't afford my first one until I was in my 30's with small kids etc. The good news is you can make up a lot of ground after that
Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I know the feeling, I couldn't afford my first one until I was in my 30's with small kids etc. The good news is you can make up a lot of ground after that
I’m sure you could sell a small kid and get enough for a few #1’s.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM

The older ones with the really good wood are getting harder and harder to find. There's semi decent wood on some of the newer ones but nothing like the fantastic crotch or burl wood you would occasionally find on the 70-80's models. The older ones have better hand cut checkering with much better coverage. The newer ones have rounded corners on the machined checkering borders that really looks cheap. The older ones have really nice deep blueing vs the flat metal you find on a lot of the newer ones. It's a shame to see such a great classic design loose the classic finishing details that made it so desirable. It's very rare to find one that can't be made to shoot exceptionally well with a few of the common well known tweaks. In fact one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever owned was a No 1. Keep your eye's open and be willing to pay a bit more for the really nice older ones,, and they'll still be cheaper than the new ones.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
Yes, I am very aware of this one, I honestly can't purchase until I finish selling off my rifles. Hopefully it is still there. I as well like the stainless with laminate as it is exactly like my Ruger M77.