Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And if the weight of the rifle can absorb most of the recoil, the equivalent energy in the bullet, can't physically knock over a deer , let alone a moose or elk.
As I see it, knockover and collapse are two different things. I gave seen animals collapse but not too many "knock-overs".

More energy transferred= more trauma
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
As I see it, knockover and collapse are two different things. I gave seen animals collapse but not too many "knock-overs".

More energy transferred= more trauma
Exactly!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:26 PM

I’m new on here and as far as the bullet/cartridge debate goes I don’t have anything to offer other than what I’ve read.

On that note I found this article particularly informative when it comes to the mechanics of actually killing an animal.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...e+Killing.html
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
If you think that energy is what kills a big game animal, then I question your understanding of how a bullet kills.
So you are saying now that energy kills?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
In order to push a 200lb boar one foot on level ground, it would take 200ftlbs of force. The recoil produced, would be the same 200ftlbs. A 600 Nitro Express produces about 150ftlbs, a typical big game rifle produces less than 1/3 of that.
Where did you get these numbers? You can't push a boar around with 200 lbs of force! This is preposterous.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
So you are saying now that energy kills?
How do you think an electric chair works man?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
How do you think an electric chair works man?
It transfers energy... Elkhunter11 was the one who told me energy doesn't kill and I had no clue about how a bullet kills.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
This is the magic of of the 6.5’s...
Nothing magical about apples to oranges comparisons.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
In order to push a 200lb boar one foot on level ground, it would take 200ftlbs of force. The recoil produced, would be the same 200ftlbs. A 600 Nitro Express produces about 150ftlbs, a typical big game rifle produces less than 1/3 of that.
What are the variable used for the math, weight of rifle, grain of bullet etc
Old 12-04-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Where did you get these numbers? You can't push a boar around with 200 lbs of force! This is preposterous.
He is missing a vital component called friction.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
What are the variable used for the math, weight of rifle, grain of bullet etc
Quoting a webpage.

This is the cartridge for those who think the .600 Nitro Express is kind of...wussy. It sends a 1,000-grain bullet at 2,000 feet per second, with 8,900 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. In a 19-pound Holland & Holland double rifle, it produces 109 foot-pounds of recoil. A friend of mine who has shot one assures me that it’s unmanageable. Pull the trigger and the muzzle points at the sky while the butt ends down at your belt. Also, the rifle costs over $200,000.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I believe that wild boar I shot in the face with my 45-70 while it was lying down slide back over a foot when the bullet stuck in its hide in the flank area after passing through most of its body
So if I take a 45-70 and shoot a dead boar in the face I can expect that boar to move over a foot back? Wow, that almost sounds unbelievable
Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Are you serious? At what distance will a 26 Nosler out penetrate a 6.5 Creedmoor??? I think the obvious answer is at any distance.

In my opinion, where the Creedmoor becomes a bad choice is past the 400-600yd range depending on the animal you’re after and bullet selection of course.

I think a better question is at what distance will it mean the difference between a lethal or non lethal shot? I think the answer lies somewhere around most people’s maximum shooting capabilities, or in other words, I think the Creedmoor is capable of making a lethal shot on big game as far as 90% of hunters are capable of accurately shooting.

Keep in mind few hunters can shoot past 300yds accurately in field conditions (and that’s being generous), despite what they may believe. Trust me, I see it every single year and judging from these discussions there are a lot of guys who think the magnum will compensate for their marksmanship. The fact is, the magnum will only help if their marksmanship is as good as they think it is, which in most cases it is not.
Let's put everyone shooting abilities aside.
At 200 yards shooting a high weight retention bullet , let's say a ttsx, how much further will the 26 nos penetrate then the 6.5 cm? I don't know but I'm asking.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
At 200 yards shooting a high weight retention bullet , let's say a ttsx, how much further will the 26 nos penetrate then the 6.5 cm? I don't know but I'm asking.
Not possible to answer. Is it through bone or through vitals? If vitals guessing 100% through the animal so better answer may be which one penetrates further into the dirt on the other side.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:09 PM

As much as I like the 6.5 bullet.

There is a reason the military uses a 50 caliber to penetrate and stop hard targets, like trucks, light armored vehicles etc. Rather then a 6.5 Grendel.

The 6.5mm is probably one of the best all around game cartridges there is for most soft skinned game in Canada.....BUT as a bear stopper there are better choices.

My 9.3x62 would be one, easy on the shoulder hard on the critter.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not possible to answer. Is it through bone or through vitals? If vitals guessing 100% through the animal so better answer may be which one penetrates further into the dirt on the other side.
10 ' of muscle, 100 wet phone books. You name it. Will the cm go thru 6" and stop? Will the nosler only get 8"
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Impossible to answer for a few reasons. Bullet weight, muzzle velocity, and the substrate you’re shooting into.

I would think that at 200yds, shooting either a 100gr or a 120gr ttsx out of either cartridge would result in a pass thru on a deer and quite possibly a moose, given it's a broadside shot in the ribs. If the shot is from tip to tail on a moose then the 26 Nosler will penetrate further, but the Creedmoor would penetrate deep enough to cause a significant amount of trauma to the vital organs. For that reason I figure the Creedmoor is a suitable big game cartridge, especially for using as a lightweight still hunting rifle.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
10 ' of muscle, 100 wet phone books. You name it. Will the cm go thru 6" and stop? Will the nosler only get 8"
17-25% more penetration if everything is identical. So 6" and stop would be just over 7".
Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
17-25% more penetration if everything is identical. So 6" and stop would be just over 7".
Wow, to be honest I thought it would be more. Does that factor in the rate of expansion?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Exactly, if the animal is laying on slippery ground, or is on a slope, it may be moved, but the movie scenes where the person is lifted off his feet and thrown backwards by the shotgun blast are nonsense. The same is true when people claim that their bullet knocked over a 1000lb moose that was standing on level dirt.

A few years back I shot a WT buck straight on at 60 yards with a 168gr etip at 2575MV. Shot was on level ground and I was using a round bale as a rest so very slight downward angle. My shot hit the buck dead center just at the base of his neck. The impact threw the buck backwards almost a complete back wards somersault. The bullet exited just in front of the left hip bone. My kids were watching when I took the shot and marveled that I almost made that deer fly( they were daily young at the time) I do agree with you in principle and also realise Hollywood goes way over board. my personal experience has shown bullet Impact can and sometimes does look like it goes against the math. Most likely that deer attempted to jump the moment the shot went off and that's why it flipped/ looked like I knocked it arse over kettle

Last edited by obsessed1; 12-04-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
A few years back I shot a WT buck straight on at 60 yards with a 168gr etip at 2575MV. Shot was on level ground and I was using a round bale as a rest so very slight downward angle. My shot hit the buck dead center just at the base of his neck. The impact threw the buck backwards almost a complete back wards somersault. The bullet exited just in front of the left hip bone. My kids were watching when I took the shot and marveled that I almost made that deer fly( they were daily young at the time) so while I do agree with you in principle and also realise Hollywood goes way over board my personal experience has shown bullet Impact can and sometimes does go against what the math says it should

Reflex reaction.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Impossible to answer for a few reasons. Bullet weight, muzzle velocity, and the substrate you’re shooting into.

I would think that at 200yds, shooting either a 100gr or a 120gr ttsx out of either cartridge would result in a pass thru on a deer and quite possibly a moose, given it's a broadside shot in the ribs. If the shot is from tip to tail on a moose then the 26 Nosler will penetrate further, but the Creedmoor would penetrate deep enough to cause a significant amount of trauma to the vital organs. For that reason I figure the Creedmoor is a suitable big game cartridge, especially for using as a lightweight still hunting rifle.
With less impact velocity, the CM should produce less expansion, so a smaller frontal area, could result in equal penetration.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:49 PM

Obsessed1 I would offer that the buck’s reaction was more disruption of the central nervous system than kinetic force.
I have seen numerous instances of that myself , one being a neck shot rabbit with a .22 long rifle from 15 or so yards .
The shot was on the left side and the rabbit actually jumped straight up and did a back flip
Cat
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Reflex reaction.
Yup edited my post....was attempting to type that but hit the post button too soon....all good
Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. Are you using max book velocity?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

I don’t think the 26 will penetrate a lot more. But I do think that the 26 will cause the bullet to expand more with the higher velocity. Thus transferring more energy to the target. And since it has energy to spare. Your going to see a bigger wound channel, more penetration, less wind drift, less drop, and a lot more bang flops. Both of them your going to have to make a well placed shot. If you do that the 26 nosler should win. If you can’t hit the broadside of a barn. Well there’s always curling
Old 12-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Wow, to be honest I thought it would be more. Does that factor in the rate of expansion?
No it is assuming that all factors are the same so the only difference is the amount of velocity. Assuming identical expansion and identical bullets used. The number could be off a bit to a ways as it is assuming the same amount of expansion but the higher velocity nosler should have a lower rate of expansion and more penetration from this. Not really possible to look at rate of expansion without true rates.
Breaks down to [Nosler Velocity^2- CM Velocity^2] / Nosler Velocity^2
Old 12-04-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
No it is assuming that all factors are the same so the only difference is the amount of velocity. Assuming identical expansion and identical bullets used. The number could be off a bit to a ways as it is assuming the same amount of expansion but the higher velocity nosler should have a lower rate of expansion and more penetration from this. Not really possible to look at rate of expansion without true rates.
Using the same bullet, more impact velocity generally results in more expansion, but the expansion can be so great, that the petals fold flat against the shank, resulting in a smaller frontal area. As well, petals could break off resulting in less frontal area, and less mass. There is no way to know for sure which will happen.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Reflex reaction.
Yes.. and very likely some heart damage as well. Seen a few do that with a frontal shot.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you mean the Nosler will have a higher rate of expansion, causing it to slow faster, resulting in a slightly lower rate of penetration percentage wise? Like the Nosler is say 25% faster, and because of this will cause the bullet to expand more rapidly and physically, creating a larger frontal area and in turn slowing its rate of penetration faster than the slower moving bullet? I have no clue, I’m just throwing my line of thinking out there.
Closed Thread