Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Has anyone killed any animals with these broadheads this year? Just curious about people's first hand opinions with their performance on game.
I killed my antelope and a mule deer so far, they work well...penetrate well! Both pass throughs at distances 40+

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 PM

May have to give them a try next fall
Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Poor results on the shoulder blade test..

https://youtu.be/VcJ4_RIdNoI 6:00 min mark
They appear to kill deer, what they are suppose to do but I don't see anything much there that is an improvement over the other 20 popular heads out there and the 1" cut would be a deal breaker for me.

Something new to try I guess maybe the larger cut ones, but I definitely wouldn't be using a broadhead with only a 1" cut, there are just so many options out there that are better.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:54 PM

Dad shot an elk with one...it died within sight, maybe 35-40 yards away max. 4 blades 1”x1” makes a pretty nice hole, similar to a Slick Trick but a much more stout and solid design.

LC
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 PM

I shot a 5x5 bull elk with the 1" model. The bull died within 25 yards, and it was down in 10 or 15 seconds. No visible damage to the broadhead itself

Norm
Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I killed my antelope and a mule deer so far, they work well...penetrate well! Both pass throughs at distances 40+

LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I shot a 5x5 bull elk with the 1" model. The bull died within 25 yards, and it was down in 10 or 15 seconds. No visible damage to the broadhead itself

Norm
They obviously get the job done, but I believe you are both good/excellent shots and would probably have made these kills with pretty much any broadhead. I guess I am just wondering are they better than what you used before and are they better enough that you will you stay with them.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
They obviously get the job done, but I believe you are both good/excellent shots and would probably have made these kills with pretty much any broadhead. I guess I am just wondering are they better than what you used before and are they better enough that you will you stay with them.
They are extremely robust and they tune markedly easier than any fixed blade broadhead that I have ever tried. In fact they are one of the only fixed blade broadheads that I have ever been able to shoot with confidence that a form imperfection will not cause an errant shot. The fact that they are a 4 blade head really is a deal maker in my mind. 4 blades really do a lot more damage than a 3 blade. The only things I am not a fan of are that they are carbon steel, which rust big time, especially this last season, and that they are only 1". The fact that they are 1" isnt a deal breaker for me, but they do make a larger version that is 1 3/16", which I am going to try for next year.

Previously I was using grim reapers and have had awesome success with them. I will continue to use them with confidence as well. But if I can use a fixed blade broadhead and be just as/if not more confident then I will. I like to follow the KISS principle as much as I can without sacrificing performance or confidence

Jmo,

Norm
Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM

Norm and Kris, If they make a 1 3/16 why aren't you using them ? Did you try them and they didn't tune as well ? I'm interested in trying them next year also
Old 11-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Norm and Kris, If they make a 1 3/16 why aren't you using them ? Did you try them and they didn't tune as well ? I'm interested in trying them next year also
I used what was available to me at the time. The xl wasnt available from my source in a timely manner when I decided to give them a whirl. I'm going to try them though.

Norm
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Same reason as Norm. I found through my tuning I am on the cusp of using a stiffer spined arrow. For next year I am planning on trying out the larger cutting diameter and see how they’ll fly with a 300 spine arrow. I was told a light wipe of vegetable oil on the heads should help them from developing rust, didn’t try it yet I just try to make sure I remove the arrows from my quiver to dry now.

LC
Old 11-21-2018, 01:41 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys
Old 11-21-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Same reason as Norm. I found through my tuning I am on the cusp of using a stiffer spined arrow. For next year I am planning on trying out the larger cutting diameter and see how they’ll fly with a 300 spine arrow. I was told a light wipe of vegetable oil on the heads should help them from developing rust, didn’t try it yet I just try to make sure I remove the arrows from my quiver to dry now.

LC
Ya! I was trying to think of on odorless oil. I'll give that a try. I did go to 300 spine arrows this year. Was using 340's before, but found things were sometimes un-predictable and un-forgiving. Made the switch when I switched arrows much better now :-)

Norm
Old 11-22-2018, 08:46 PM

I really like the looks of these broad heads . I currently shoot slick tricks with no complaints,but the one piece design of these has me strongly considering them.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:04 PM

Default did any one try the larger diameter?

any review of using the larger blades?

My bow is tunes to my 300 spine arrows with a 175 gr field point, I am hoping to use their 175 gr head.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:08 AM

I shoot the 1” 100 grain and they work great. There is a review on you tube that compares the 1” and the 1 3/16”.

https://youtu.be/V7lGK8Ynqk8
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Newb question

Ok, so I haven't used broadheads yet as I am fairly new to the whole archery thing.

Newb question: How do I know how many grains my broadheads should be? I am planning to buy some of these broadheads and try shooting targets / paper tuning.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustard73 View Post
Ok, so I haven't used broadheads yet as I am fairly new to the whole archery thing.

Newb question: How do I know how many grains my broadheads should be? I am planning to buy some of these broadheads and try shooting targets / paper tuning.
^As much info as you can give the rest of us will help. Draw length, draw weight, model of bow, arrow brand/length/model/spine, release or fingers. All of these play an important part in deciphering what you need for a BH. You want to shoot the same weight of BH as your field points.

Get your bow shooting bullet holes with your FP, then screw on a BH and fine tune from there. Lots of information on here and other places to assist with that.

J.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:38 AM

So after a month of shipping (is DHL not the worst?) my 175 grain 1 3/16” arrived.

Initial testing...

The broadheads grouped as well or better then my field points at 30 years (strong cross wind.)
and had the exact same impact as the field points, no need to adjust the site.

I was also impressed with the penetration on the rhinehart, two of three went though the back.. the target is worn but not shot out.

The pictures are of a three shot group BUT I shot the third after pulling the two as I was afraid of shooting all three at once... I do not like hitting arrows.

Bow was perfectly tuned and timed by myself
Windy conditions, (open field in spring-bank)
30'' Killin stil micro ventilator LX
352 gr arrow weight
527 with broad head.
2015 Bowtech prodigy, 70 lb draw weight
Old 10-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
any review of using the larger blades?

My bow is tunes to my 300 spine arrows with a 175 gr field point, I am hoping to use their 175 gr head.
Saw a vid on YouTube last night. They shot the xl thru a scapula and the results were less than great.. Bad deflection, broke a blade and failed to penetrate the target.. Disappointed as I just bought the standard 125s and they flew great. I'll post a link if I can find it again

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2020, 07:32 AM

https://youtu.be/VcJ4_RIdNoI
Here's the link

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2021, 06:53 PM

Just curious, where are you guys buying these broadheads in Canada?
Old 08-30-2021, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Just curious, where are you guys buying these broadheads in Canada?
Wolverine in Red Deer carries them, Lawrence at Accurate carries them, Wildside in Lloydminster carries them. Those are the ones I know for sure.

LC
Old 08-31-2021, 08:09 AM

Thanks