Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Default Ptarmigan Hunting in the Yukon

A trip to the Yukon in September has been on my bucket list for 40 years. It was to happen this year since I have now plenty of time . Unfortunately it won't ...unless the covid-19n restrictions disappear.
The idea was to explore the land, fish for grayling and hunt ptarmigan with my Brittany, not in the bush but rather in the open country of the tundra. I was thinking of the Haines Hwy area near Haines Summit which looks fairly op rather than driving way up the Dempster.
Has anyone hunted ptarmigan with a pointing dog in the Yukon? thanks

Last edited by colvert; 04-06-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-06-2020, 06:29 PM

I recognize that spot. September is the best time to go in my opinion. My second trip, last September. I flew to Whitehorse, then did the Golden Circle route, Skagway, Haines , Haines Junction and back to Whitehorse. Mostly mountainous country, some of the highest peaks on the continent are right there. It's gorgeous country and qualifies as a bucket list item. Ptarmigan are high altitude birds there, not sure if you would encounter any along the route itself. I attended a presentation on them in Skagway. What you see in that picture basically muskeg covered with dwarf birch . tough to get around in if it's not frozen. I wouldn't lose heart, it's early, there's still hope, I might go back myself, it's an addictive place. You talk about driving up the Dempster, hard to believe the distances involved. From Calgary to Whitehorse is about the same as from Whitehorse to the Arctic coast.

Haines Junction

That area shown in your pic ture is part of Kluane National Park as well, the highway forms the boundary

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 04-06-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 PM

Did some grayling fishing along the Dempster a few years back. My nerves were frazzled as ptarmigan were flushing around every bend. A little unnerving as we had been warned about grizzlies in the area.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:35 PM

A lot of that country is administered by First Nations as well and they make the rules, they can even "subsistence hunt" in Kluane.

https://yukon.ca/en/agreements-first...ims-agreements

Grizz
Old 04-06-2020, 08:48 PM

Thanks Grizz for your reply and pics!
Yes, 1000s km involved. When I go for about a month, I may drive as far as the Tombstone Territorial Park and probably concentrate my stay in the SW corner where scenery is the best. September will be the month because it will be cooler, lower water level to fish the streams, less hungry bugs and an opportunity to hunt ptarmigan. I don't own a 4X4 camper, just a camperized van, so I will have to stay close to the main roads.

I found the following blog very helpful. It is well detailed with pics from all over the Territory. I gives you a pretty good idea of what the scenery is
http://suethomas.ca/YukonMap.html

What I hope to find is a good map with a much smaller scale than the TravelYukon road map which is at 1:2.75 million.

And yes, there is still a very very small chance that it could happen this year!
Old 04-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Did some grayling fishing along the Dempster a few years back. My nerves were frazzled as ptarmigan were flushing around every bend. A little unnerving as we had been warned about grizzlies in the area.
I don't have any experience with the tundra willows. I imagine they can hide a snoozing even foraging grizzly very well especially along a stream. Unnerving situation as you said
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colvert View Post
I don't have any experience with the tundra willows. I imagine they can hide a snoozing even foraging grizzly very well especially along a stream. Unnerving situation as you said
I carried bear spray, every time I got away from the vehicle, CT in Whitehorse. I thought about bringing a gun, but travelling through Alaska nixed that, especially my 14 in. barreled shotgun. No shortages of Grizzlies there.

Apparently that doesn't apply to kids.

Grizz
Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 PM

Amazing country, father in law was a miner on Hunker creek near Dawson. Spent some time on the mine as well as some time in Old Crow. Had a great time in Old Crow as Edith Josie prepared my first caribou dinner, got to try bar-b-que Moose Jaw, and went out on the river to check nets ( caught 11 different kinds of fish in one net ). The locals were great and bent over backwards to make sure I had a good time.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Amazing country, father in law was a miner on Hunker creek near Dawson. Spent some time on the mine as well as some time in Old Crow. Had a great time in Old Crow as Edith Josie prepared my first caribou dinner, got to try bar-b-que Moose Jaw, and went out on the river to check nets ( caught 11 different kinds of fish in one net ). The locals were great and bent over backwards to make sure I had a good time.
Now this sounds like something i would love to be a part of .....someday
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Kind of a dead thread, but I'be extremely hesitant letting my dog run loose anywhere up there, it's a different world. Wolves took a sled dog right out of the yard of some people I know.

Grizz
Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Do it.

I spent 30 years there, and spent a good part of my childhood on the Haines road. I have seen my fair share of bears and moose, and fish, but not many wolves, and little no ptarmigan. They are there, I just didn't spend any time looking for them. Took lots of grouse tho. Wonderful place, make no mistake. Beautiful, isolated part of Canada. I totally took it for granted, and cherish the times I go back to the cabin. Grizz's pics bring back a lot of memories.

If you're thinking of making the trip, do it, and don't worry about the bears or wolves. Be aware, but don't worry about it.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:51 PM

I have only been to the Yukon 4 times for holidays in August. The only place i have seen good numbers of ptarmigan was above tree line by Dezadeash Lake. We were just hiking so I don't know if it is an area open to hunting. The road into Cantung, north of Watson Lake, also looked good. I didn't have much time so wasn't able to walk the hills like i would have hoped to see if there is much for ptarmigan there. The maps may call the road the Nahanni Range Road.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
I have only been to the Yukon 4 times for holidays in August. The only place i have seen good numbers of ptarmigan was above tree line by Dezadeash Lake. We were just hiking so I don't know if it is an area open to hunting. The road into Cantung, north of Watson Lake, also looked good. I didn't have much time so wasn't able to walk the hills like i would have hoped to see if there is much for ptarmigan there. The maps may call the road the Nahanni Range Road.
Dezadeash Lake is right on the east side of the Haines Road. The high ground on the West side is Kluane NP. I hiked up to the rock glacier above it.

Grizz
Old 04-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Default Yukon

Colvert Nice camper van. The Mile Post has a lot of info, even which streams have fish. It shows where camping spots are so you can plan how far to travel and hit the fishing and camping sites. The mile post is available at tourist info sites and we got it at our AMA location. It has a map of the road, mile by mile with info all the way. Maybe carry a large come-along or winch, could be useful when parking on roadside to fish some stream. Hope you have nice weather.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:53 PM

If you do end up coming north this September, PM me and I will point you in the direction of some good road accessible Ptarmigan spots.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 PM

As well as a come along maybe buy some good chains for the back tires. And have 2 spare tires. A good rain changes a road in minutes. A backpack with a short shotgun in it might save you and your dog.