Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Default Amount of bait required?

Hey guys,

This will be my first trapping season and I am planning out my bait requirements for trapping this fall. I am going to be running 115 marten boxes,15 lynx cubbies and 15 weasel boxes (for which I will use grouse guts as I hear they work the best). Just wondering how many beavers you think I need in order to bait the marten boxes and lynx cubbies? Have been reading that a fist sized piece of beaver is about right for each martin box....don't know how many fists are in a beaver! Is that only meat or do you just chop the beaver up...both bones and meat?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

My plan is to use half a muskrat but I am glad you asked I am hoping to run 12 marten sets my self. Is half a rat enough?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Hey guys,

This will be my first trapping season and I am planning out my bait requirements for trapping this fall. I am going to be running 115 marten boxes,15 lynx cubbies and 15 weasel boxes (for which I will use grouse guts as I hear they work the best). Just wondering how many beavers you think I need in order to bait the marten boxes and lynx cubbies? Have been reading that a fist sized piece of beaver is about right for each martin box....don't know how many fists are in a beaver! Is that only meat or do you just chop the beaver up...both bones and meat?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I usually can do about 25 marten boxes per beaver. Then I have a good chunk of the spine and rib cage left for a cubby set. I prob use about 6 for the year. I refresh the scent on the box just about every check but unless the bait is stolen or it really dries out I don't add anymore throughout the season.
On another note when I get my beaver I use for bait I put them in a rubber maid tote with a black garbage bag over the tote and leave them in the sun for at least 2 weeks. The garbage bag keeps the bugs out and helps with heating up the meat to optimal ripeness
After 2 weeks I put the whole tote with garbage bag still on them in my bait freezer and freeze them until needed. I find if I leave the castors in it makes for an especially sweet rotting smell. Let thaw in the garage overnight before use the next day then just chop off what you need at each bait. I always chop the pieces on my sled trail so any animals travelling them will stop and sniff around at my box locations.
I also started dragging a beaver carcass behind my sleigh along the trail. I've noticed since starting this I've had Marten follow the trail for a few hundred yards to my boxes instead of just crossing the trail.

Hope some of these ideas help.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM

I heard that the best for lynx is a whole beaver tied to a tree in a cubby set. This way you can get fox that want it as well and it smells a lot more than a small chunk of bait.

I plan on going on a muskrat trapping spree for a few days this fall and will just use muskrat carcasses. Chop them in half and I should be good for 2 bait stations I figure. It won't take long to catch a hundred or so rats. I want to run 100 marten sets as well but not sur if I will be able to have the time to explore my line enough to get that many out. I should be able to get 50 out at least I hope to make it worth while.

I also got to figure out where my wolves are. I figure I will put out one maybe 2 bait sites for wolves this year and try to figure things out for next year season and go after them a bit more then.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Is rotten/ripe beaver better for bait than fresh beaver for marten sets? I was always told that marten prefer fresh beaver? As for lures....do you put the lure on the box as you stated Tork or do you dip a branch above the set in the lure?

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Is rotten/ripe beaver better for bait than fresh beaver for marten sets? I was always told that marten prefer fresh beaver? As for lures....do you put the lure on the box as you stated Tork or do you dip a branch above the set in the lure?

I find there is not much difference between rotten and fresh I don't bother to rot it any more, try both and do what works best for you. I might get 20 boxes set with a big beaver, i change it after it starts to look dried out. For a lynx cubbie i use minimum a half a beaver.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I heard that the best for lynx is a whole beaver tied to a tree in a cubby set. This way you can get fox that want it as well and it smells a lot more than a small chunk of bait.

I plan on going on a muskrat trapping spree for a few days this fall and will just use muskrat carcasses. Chop them in half and I should be good for 2 bait stations I figure. It won't take long to catch a hundred or so rats. I want to run 100 marten sets as well but not sur if I will be able to have the time to explore my line enough to get that many out. I should be able to get 50 out at least I hope to make it worth while.

I also got to figure out where my wolves are. I figure I will put out one maybe 2 bait sites for wolves this year and try to figure things out for next year season and go after them a bit more then.
I do rot a couple big beaver for wolf sets, after you find an area with lots of wolves passing through pick an area with fairly thick bush and hang the beaver high up in a tree then set at least 50 snares all around it.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM

YUp I think that is the best Moose maniac. I talked to a big time wolfer and he said to rott a big beaver till it is just rank inside a grain sack. Then hang it in a tree and set 50-100 snares within 200-300 yards of the bait. He says if they get to the bait before getting caught you put the snares in the wrong spot or I didn't put enough out. He said only check if there are fresh tracks going in to the bait. Makes sense to me
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM

Can you pre bait wolves? Like yotes. Yotes get into a pattern if food keeps appearing every week same spot would that work for wolves?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:

I rub the lure right on the box with a stick then poke the stick in the top of the box so it stands in the air.
I should point out I wouldn't really call my bait I use rotten, it's really just more ripe but it is still firm and not falling apart. To me I think the smell being stronger is what brings the Marten in. I have caught lots on bait other then beaver as well, but I find this to be the best.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Default Distance between marten sets?

Great input guys...thanks!

A second question for you. How far apart on the line do you typically place marten sets? Being new to the trapline and not having trapped it before I am unfamiliar where the martens typically are. As well, chances of having snow here at the beginning of November is kind of a crap shoot. So, without tracks to see, I'll have to just set traps and see where I am catching them. I was thinking every 1/2 km? Does this seem too close? In nice bush I was thinking this would be a good distance to get kind of a "net" going.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:07 PM

we never use a chunk as big as your fist, we would cut it into strips about an inch wide by 3-4 inches long. Always seemed to be more than enough for our Martin. And add a wing from a ruffie on a string to your cubby, it flutters in the wind and gets their attention. Not sure if it really made a difference or not but it definately didn't hurt our catch rate.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Great input guys...thanks!

A second question for you. How far apart on the line do you typically place marten sets? Being new to the trapline and not having trapped it before I am unfamiliar where the martens typically are. As well, chances of having snow here at the beginning of November is kind of a crap shoot. So, without tracks to see, I'll have to just set traps and see where I am catching them. I was thinking every 1/2 km? Does this seem too close? In nice bush I was thinking this would be a good distance to get kind of a "net" going.

Thoughts?
I am new on my line as well and what I did was pace off 400-500 yards on the quad while going down the cutlines. some are a bit closer and some further away depending on creeks and pinch points but I feel I got things covered this way and during the season will keep track on which ones catch and which don't kind of thing for a couple years. From what I have read a lot of guys suggest every 500 yards apart.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Lynx Cubbie Spacing?

Just a follow-up question guys. How far apart do you typically space Lynx cubbies? I am looking at putty my marten sets every 1/2 km....but am looking for input on the spacing you typically use for the lynx. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 AM

Where around ft Mac are you trapping . There is no set distance or common distance between traps. Most go in where I feel is a good spot , usually by tracks or a thickening in the bush!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Trapline is north of Fort McMurray around the Firebag River area.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:18 AM

I see I'm south eastof bridge to nowhere! You shouldn't have too much problem getting beaver up there.you can prob access it now!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 AM

I use to cut up deer scraps fist size and rot them down a bit in 5 gallon pails to get some stinks. They caught me marten but it was also a mess and the smell got on everything. Now I use chopped up fresh beaver and catch maybe more with it.
For lynx cubbies I use probably a 1/4 of a fresh beaver. If you have alot of shrews you may need more as they will consume it over the course of the season.
When cutting up a beaver I just pull one out of the freezer and let it thaw a bit overnight. Not all the way just so the outside is getting a little soft. Then I take my axe and chop it all up into the size pieces I want. Keeping it mainly froozen will allow it to be chopped up with the axe much easier.