Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 PM

Default New To The Whole Thing

Im gonna lay it on the line here right off the bat and say that I know nothing about trapping. While I was guiding bears this spring south of Fort Mac I had several baits that were located along some trap lines. I was fortunate enough to be able to talk to both of these gentlemen at least a couple times a week due to the fact that they were both out doing repairs on their cabins and cutting wood for the winter. Having this opportunity has really made me want to get into this side of the sport. So I guess the question is how does one get started? Is there anyone out there that would be looking to take on an "apprentice" this winter? Also once you have your license how do you go about getting yourself a trap line? Most of you will most likely think these are stupid questions. I would however love the opportunity to get into it in any way possible. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

Hi Buck. I'm a new Resident Trapper and my suggestion is to take the Trapper's course before doing anything else. Here's the link to the info on courses:

http://www.albertatrappers.com/trapper-courses.html
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Im gonna lay it on the line here right off the bat and say that I know nothing about trapping. While I was guiding bears this spring south of Fort Mac I had several baits that were located along some trap lines. I was fortunate enough to be able to talk to both of these gentlemen at least a couple times a week due to the fact that they were both out doing repairs on their cabins and cutting wood for the winter. Having this opportunity has really made me want to get into this side of the sport. So I guess the question is how does one get started? Is there anyone out there that would be looking to take on an "apprentice" this winter? Also once you have your license how do you go about getting yourself a trap line? Most of you will most likely think these are stupid questions. I would however love the opportunity to get into it in any way possible. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

IMO.... Trapping is not really considered a sport. It is more likely to be a lifestyle and job to most trappers. It keeps them close to the land too.
Trapping requires dedication to learning and lots of effort.

Like mentioned... take the trapping course and then think about the rest.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks dave
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Trapline

Dave, what most have recommended, trapping course first, then fun starts. There are about 1700 RFMA's in Alberta. You will need to be a partner on line for few years and have some good fur numbers before F & W will approve you for a line that is open. Then lines in Alberta ( Only the cabins, traps, quads etc) are purchased. Line is leased from Province on 5 year term. Lastly lines in NE Alberta generally go for about $50K in Foothills $100K and in mountains prices as high as $300K have been asked for lines. It is a committment of cash and time and not a hobby.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Banned

Brought a smile to my face this morning, when referred to as a "sport"..
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 AM

I don't know guys, I think I would call modern trapping a sport. It's certainly a sport that involves lots of time and hard work, but I do get a great amount of enjoyment from it. For some it still may be considered a job but I would say for most in Alberta (90% or higher) I would say that regardless of this years fur prices, I'm still going to be able to provide for my family.
I also find great sport in trying to outsmart my local wolf population
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Default New To The Whole Thing

I would agree with Tork. At the prices now, nobodies making any money. The guys that are trapping are doing it for "sport". Although its quite different from some other "sport" activities. Once you done some Resident trapping, you'll figure out if you actually want a trapline. I'm happy with being a resident trapper, although I head out on a "real" trapline quite often. Very much time and effort is involved to successfully run a line.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Take the course if you are new to the game.

Sport, no.

Sport is recreational with no chance of making a profit, such as hunting.
But an example, guiding hunters is not a sport as the guide is out there to make a profit.

As long as i pay taxes on the money i make trapping, it's not a "sport"!!

How many you guys pay taxes on your hunting season? Sounds absurb, because it is a SPORT.

Oh, and i bought a new 550 Tundra with one season worth of trapping.

Last edited by jim summit; 08-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post

Sport, no.

Sport is recreational with no chance of making a profit,
IMO trapping is a commercial activity, be it profitable or not, and should always be referred to as such. A "SPORT" is a desirable but unnecessary activity, whereas trapping is necessary for these reasons:

1) It's an activity providing seasonal income, food and clothing for many people.

2) It's a necessary wildlife management activity to:
- control the spread of dangerous diseases carried by many furbearers.
- protect agricultural livestock and crops from animal damage.
- control beaver flooding of road systems and developed lands.

3) A necessary activity for the capture and relocation of endangered species.

Furthermore recreation, or SPORT, is something that is done for fun, and I think that there are a lot of the general public that take a view that killing something just for fun is wrong, while most people can understand doing so for food or other needs such as survival or even for money which is nowadays needed to survive.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 PM

so now that weve determined its not a "sport" ........ (not really the intention of the thread) is there anyone looking for any help this winter? I know its hard work! and im ready for it no matter what you want to refer to it as!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

OK, for starters Buck, how much time are you prepared to spend on the line, unless you are one of the weekend warrior trappers, this means , during the week. I guess this is OK if you tag up with the same. You haven't stated where you live, so how far are you prepared to travel. There might be guys needing help but maybe far out.